1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

I think I might be a beer hoarder

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brewsky29, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

My problem is I need more money!!!

Bitter_Echo and franklinn like this.
  2. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

For whatever reason, the definition of a beer hoarder in the area I live in is "Buying more than one bottle of something and not allowing people to assume they have equal rights to my purchase."

3. Ok that is a definition of hording keeping beer that has obviously gone bad. Look like you need to *gulp* do more drain pours (I hate that word since I can 95% of the time finish even the worst of beer)

4. It's only beer hoarding when you invite someone into your cellar and they say the selection/quantity is at least as good as their favorite bottle shop.

Until then, have at it & stop worrying.

5. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Dibs on episode #1.

6. I've heard that the first step is admitting you have a problem ... I'm not sure what the second step is.

7. You just described nearly every one of my Tuesdays for the past 18 months. :D

8. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

A bigger fridge won't help... Promise. lol

9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Yeah... I just don't like leaving beer sitting around on shelves at 70 degrees in my apartment. It worries me.

franklinn likes this.
  10. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Hoarding is when you buy beer but then, for whatever reason, can't bring yourself to drink it. I've definitely been buying more beer than I can keep up with over the past couple of years, which is why I have a surplus on the order of 300+ bottles. But I am drinking it; pretty much every night I have at least one beer and sometimes more. Not that that's necessarily such a healthy thing either.

As long as you're buying beer to drink, share, or trade before it goes bad (and you can pay all your bills), then I don't see a problem. If you're buying bottles to stroke lovingly and call "my precious" then you might want to take a step back.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  11. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Better than being on the show 'Hoarders'.

12. I lost this argument last night. I am a collector/hoarder I guess.

You know its bad when you've run out of room in your cellar

13. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Aficionado (200) Michigan Jul 14, 2012

I'm more than happy to BM you my address and be your official "fair enough" beer disposal ground :) If that doesn't work for you, set up some trades with folks in other regions - I'm sure you could find someone who'd be glad to trade you for a few new beers they haven't tried.

14. Hoarder and proud. :)

15. This is the post of the year! Well done.

16. Don't worry man, you're not playing with dolls... you're maneuvering action figures into strategic positions. HUGE difference... don't let anyone tell you different!

JxExM likes this.
  17. I live an hour from a Total Wine and a good bottle shop so I gotta hoard a little since I only make it over there once a month. My stockpile goes up and my stockpile goes down and then it dissapears if my lush of a brother in law shows up but that's what it's there for.

18. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (245) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

I'm thinking of starting a service to help those afflicted with this condition. I will help them through the process of lightening their load of beer. The focus will be on the highest quality stuff, since that seems to take up more space than the lower tier inventory. This is a public service, but my satisfaction will be in the relief I provide to those suffering from this malady. Let me know...I can help.

19. Hoarding, alcoholism...it's all relative.

SammyJaxxxx and Levitation like this.
  20. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Sounds just like me. I just bought 2 logs of SN celebration, a 4 pack of founders breakfast stout, st old man winter ale, anchor christmas ale and racer 5 ipa. And I want to pick up more, come tomorrow.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  21. Just get a class "A" alcohol beverage license and start the reselling.

Problem solved!

22. Possibly relevant...
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/12/hobbit-dwarves-flowchart/

also because I a too have begun the hoard and I imagine most of the people's appearance here to mirror those in the link. I am up to 107, but I keep them tightly organized on a Google spreadsheet ... for science. I suppose we need a post your stash thread to ogle what people have sitting in the dark.

23. Its kind of fun to shop for beer, browsing and what not.

24. Bakker

Bakker Savant (285) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

I hear ya. I have 15 special occasions planned out already! Still waiting for the first one to happen...

25. Bakker

Bakker Savant (285) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

You said zombie apocalypse. Those are 2 FFF beers

26. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

You should stop. One must edit. You realize that is unsustainable, right? Unless you are loaded with an understanding partner, and have a huge house, with a wing dedicated to your beer problem.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  27. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

*arms open*

28. Sounds a little light. I would go back tomorrow and double up.

29. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Oh yeah, like we havent heard THAT line before.....

30. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

OK, back to our original poster.... yes others feel this way but... if you are taking in terms of having more than one refrigerator full all I can say is .... ROOKIE!

To see if you are a true beer hoarder then check below....

YOU MIGHT BE A BEER HOARDER IF>>>> (you knew someone what going to take it here sooner or later...)

...you start parking your car in the driveway because you got boxes of beer scattered all over the garage, ("Im still sorting the ones on the floor! I cant put them away yet dammit!")

...you build custom wood shelves along the whole OTHER side of the basement,

... you are debating changing the way to organize your stash -- Alphabetically, regionally or by style -- having tried all of them at least once.

... you build a shed in the back yard "for the lawnmower, hoses and stuff" wihile all the time thinking how much more space it will free up in the temperature controlled basement.

... the beers you keep out of storage "to try next" would take you a 2 months to drink if you drank every day...

...besides the beers you are going "to try next" you keep another bunch of rare beers out of storage "in case we have a special occasion" that would take you at least 3 weeks to drink if you drank every day.... (you can never be too prepared for special occasions....)

... you have filled your refrigerator and buy a second one. And they are commercial walk-in refrigerators.

... you keep an inventory of your beer on a spreadsheet and the file is greater than 1MB

... you buy a crew cab pickup truck solely for their advantage at beer release parties and so you dont have to make more than one trip when your favorite beer comes out.

FINALLY ... you may be a hoarder if, having bought your crewcab pickup,, your family vacations are planned, criss-crossing states to hit breweries, beer stores and release parties and everyone in the family is ordered to "pack light, we're going to need the room on the way home"

... THEN you're a hoarder. WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!

31. closet hoarder, lol

32. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

33. just keep telling yourself that a lot of beers are made to be enjoyed fresh. if that doesnt work, drink more IPA's.

34. Good lord.

35. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Thats my buddies! I gave him ONE Celebration ale, and it was over! I truly got this guy hooked! :D

36. IrishHockey

IrishHockey Savant (250) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

Thank God I don't have to worry about hoarding... I'm an alcoholic!

ChicagoNick likes this.
  37. There's nothing wrong with having some excess, especially if they tend to be loaded more toward the season items. If it's something you like and you're afraid you'll want it again before it comes back around, get more than you usually would. It's what I've been doing for four months now and my closet is loaded, yeah, but I'll know I'll be able to get rid of it through drinking it and/or selling it and then aging a solid bit of it. Or just have a party. We're having a Christmas party for work next Friday and I plan on brining easily $120 worth of bombers that are lining my shelves. I'll definitely go through all of it and as long as I drink half of what they contain it'll be worth it to me for tasting purposes and then getting my friends and coworkers to have a good time.

38. I do the same thing. I try to buy a decent amount, so I can have the beer year round (until it comes out again). My issue though is that one beer will come out and then the next big thing comes out a few weeks later. My goal this year is to identify my favorite 2-3 beers and just buy those in bulk. The rest I'll limit to 1-2 four packs.

39. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

It's an easy trap to fall into. When you start hoarding beers that don't age well you know you have a problem, if you have a stash of Hopslam it's too late. I'm collecting Porters and Stouts to drink when I want, I try and grab harder to get stuff, some I drink some I trade.

40. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

My name is Ed and I have a problem. Not enough space to store all the beer I buy. 400+ bottles and growing!

nc41 likes this.