1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I think I might be a beer hoarder

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brewsky29, Dec 14, 2012.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

LOL, that's funny. BHA= Beer Hoarders Anonymous.
  2. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Oh, I'm a little bit hoard-y I guess. Our fridge has a beer shelf sure, and it's usually full (and sometimes overfull), and but it really doesn't exceed three dozen at any one time; and since I'm not into aging beers, I'm only a meso-hoarder as it were. It's really about daily rotations to maximize variety and inventory control around here (freshness based on the species of brew); gotta maximize enjoyment of that one, two, or three that I have every day.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

People say "You have too much beer", I say "I don't have enough shelf".
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  4. That guy is hoarding laundry.
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  5. Cheeto314

Cheeto314 Aspirant (35) Colorado Sep 18, 2012

I should have mentioned I do drink a lot of the beer I get, and do have frequent tastings, however, the cellar still grows...I think it has grown intelligence and figured out how to reproduce. It was mostly 750's at first and now there's all these 12oz bottles that popped up out of no where. I blame the cat...the cat loves ham, and, um...beer goes good with ham and I gotta keep the cat happy, right? Right??
  6. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I just arranged to send some beers I was probably not going to open to someone in this thread who has confirmed their own hoarder status. So does that make me a reformed hoarder or just an enabler?
  7. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Hopefully at that point the selection is better than the bottle shop, otherwise you're doing it wrong.
    Cheeto314 and fujindemon74 like this.
  8. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

But he does it almost everyday too!
  9. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Clearly I am either drinking way too much, or not spending enough money on beer.
  10. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think we should stop the "latest haul" threads and start a "latest beer hoarding" tread.... I want to see pics.
  11. Cheeto314

Cheeto314 Aspirant (35) Colorado Sep 18, 2012

Once all my shipments come in...I'll throw up some sort of picture of my cellar. Not huge, not uber rare, just fun.
  12. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

You havent run out of room. You just need to redefine "cellar"
  13. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (305) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

this thread is making me feel a lot better about myself that I am not alone. I do deliveries everyday and say I wont stop at a beer store today, and I break down evertime. But I feel like I find something new everytime or the fear of not finding it feeds the addiction. I guess there is a lot worse addictions to have as long as I can still feed my kids.
    Cheeto314 likes this.
  14. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

I can never let my wife know how much I've spent on my collection...
    BeerThursdays and fujindemon74 like this.
  15. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I actually have the opposite problem. I drink beer as I buy it, and even when I have intentions on cellaring a bottle, I usually end up drinking that one, too. The only beer in my cellar right now is an Ommegang XV 15th Anniversary bomber. The most I'll usually get at the store is a six-pack and one bomber, and this happens maybe once a week. I just don't see the point of spending retarded amounts of money on beer that you're not even going to drink (I also don't have the disposable income right now to just go buy $75 worth of beer on a whim). I plan on starting to cellar a few more beers, but I doubt I'll ever have a 'hoarding' problem. That being said, having too much beer is a pretty awesome problem to have.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  16. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I had a small "collection" before I got married and moved out of my parent's house. Having a kegorator cut down on my bottle buying purchases. Right now I have 17 beers in my "cellar" and one of them is 09 Utopias, others are Sierra Nevada 30ths which I will drink next year because I turn 30 and there are 6 years of Anchor OSAs that are going to be drank tonight.
  17. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

i have a pretty good stock, but the reason i do is because i like to trade and save up all of these wonderful stouts and barley wines, and old ales, and scotch ales and sours, but my favorite is IPA's so i am constently buys those and trading for those and drinking them, but i cant resist buying the other stuff which usually only gets cracked at a vertical tasting or special occaision or a wednesday, or a day that ends in Y
  18. soughtbygod

08 is the best
  19. If you are talking about 2008 Anchor OSA, I would have to agree in terms of aged bottles right now.
  20. Eh, the "collectors" are the guys who live in a cracker box apartment, with all kinds of dolls/action figures in the plastic still hanging on the walls.
  21. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

wife complains too much beer in fridge= fill up 2nd fridge in garage= fill up basement shelves with beer= hoarder.
  22. soughtbygod

I am, i did a vert from 04 to 12 and 08 was the definite winner
  23. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

^^And tripping over cats.;)
  24. Good or bad we all could have worst hobbies. I sometimes find myself not caring about spending so much on beers, I guess is the got to have it thing. Now I have lots of beers that I'm aging/afraid to open.
  25. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (470) California Jul 31, 2010

I just have a terrible memory and constantly forget what I buy and where I put them. Recently had to reorganize everything and found I have quite a "collection" that I have vague memory of stashing from years ago. Good problem to have I guess
  26. You need weekly bottleshares. Also trades that replace 5 of your bottles for 1. If things are still tough you can send your extra beer to my address.
  27. I hoard on a seasonal basis. In Autumn, I start stashing away the winter seasonals, etc.
  28. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

I have roughly 250 beers on hand but honestly it's only because I left Brussels and I stockpiled all my favorites and was able to import them with no fees.
  29. NitroGen

NitroGen Savant (295) Arizona Sep 29, 2007

I no longer qualify but I may have met two of the Top 10 a few weeks ago when I had the opportunity to meet a long time BA and his wife here in AZ while they were traveling from Portland to their home out East. "Our home and six different locations including a local breweries walk-in cooler" was their answer to my question on where they kept their beer after seeing that their rented SUV was sagging in the back from 30-40 cases of unbelievable beer.
    JxExM likes this.
  30. 2beerdogs

^^^Classic Post,Well Done!!!
    Instead og blurting out, "Gollum, Gollum", do you blurt out "Goose Island, Goose Island"?
  31. 2beerdogs

Rent me a room, Thickfreakness?;)
    Thickfreakness and fujindemon74 like this.
  32. bobv

bobv Advocate (515) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Only 2 locations: Cellar at work and my apartment (Fridge, thermo-electric cooler in living room, base cabinets in kitchen, display cabinets in dining room and bathroom, yes, the large formats fit perfectly in cabinet under bathroom window!)
    No problem, unless I want a beer from work!
  33. Its hard to hoard when your favorite brews are IPA's ;)
  34. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

Nothing out of the ordinary 'round these parts. One thing I would caution is keep an eye on how old most beers are getting. If you keep buying at a pace much faster than you can drink, it's inevitable that some of those bottles are aging past their prime, unless they're all Gueuzes and Barley Wines.
  35. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Just don't save beers that age poorly.
  36. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

My second fridge is jam packed. I need a bigger one because it's all I can do to not run by the store real quick and drop another chunk of change. I do love the selection of beers I have in my fridge though. By buying to frequently, there's an ever increasing variety in there
  37. hahahaha I can relate my friend
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  38. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

So, can you store beers that don't age well in a fridge indefinitely? Lower than 55 I mean, like normal fridge temperature. Because I'm starting to hoard, but generally high ABV items. I wouldn't know what to do with IPAs, lighter beers, etc. that don't keep as well. I live in Manhattan so no cellar. Might have to use my dad's! What do people normally do? Pray?
  39. Drink beer.