1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I think I'm done trading

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ShogoKawada, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, folks, its been a hell of a ride. Just shipped a box to CA and it cost me $40 for UPS ground. I think that's the breaking point for me. Outside of a few outstanding boxes to some of my beer bros, I think I am punching out. I've got 125+ trades in the books, going back almost 3 years now. The cost/payoff ratio of trading has hit an all time low for me, and there's nothing I really am pining for that I can't find something similar locally.

Any other traders hang up the hat? Was it a short-term thing, or are you still on the sidelines?

Thanks to all the great traders out there, 125+ in the books and no bad experiences!
  2. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

More time to drink boots while Digital Underground plays softly in the distance.
    shufon, afrokaze, treehouse and 2 others like this.
  3. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Anymore, I almost exclusively trade with regular trading partners. Or send LIF boxes. Those are fun.

EDIT: I don't know if that answers your questions, but it's kinda related to the "hassles" of trading not really being worth it.
  4. I've backed away from trading lately, for a handful of reasons (e.g., cost, time involved, current state of ISO/FT posts, etc.). I'm still in touch with a handful of great traders, and will probably just stick with surprise/random boxes overtime instead of actually making (or responding) to an ISO/FT post. I might looking into the BIF/LIF game.
  5. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

have had one, recent, in three years and it really soured me on trading.
    Just doing IP trades when in the US now, or with people in Europe now.
    Have a great partner in the US that has made it work for me and can not thank him enough.
    sendsilk likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

That $40 box would have been much cheaper had you just put 1lb in the weight section.
    shufon, afrokaze, oreo and 3 others like this.
  7. You'll be back... They always come back!
    drewba, ShogoKawada and Exiled like this.
  8. I did this last week for a BIF. 20 bucks to ship from NY to CA. Next day I got an email with a billing adjustment for an Additional 53$.
  9. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

After my first year of trading like a madman, then seeing that I spent ~$1000 on shipping charges alone was enough to get me out of the trading game. Now I primarily trade with my regulars and occassionally to get certain beers I really want.

I cannot tell you how nice it is to sit back and see all the trades come out after a release (CBS, Hunahpus, Dark Lord...) and know I don't have to worry about any of them.
  10. After I get all of mine sorted out, I'm likely going to be taking a break myself... There will be a few exceptions with a few of my regular trading partners, but that is about it.

Plus medical bills are expensive...
  11. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Shipping tasty brew sucks.
    Receiving tasty brew=:)
    Did I mention shipping beer sucks?

125 Trades=no bad experiences=:cool:

Cheers Shogo......
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  12. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

In the last 2-3 years now I have done over 250+ trades @ $15 a shipment (average) = $3,750 on just shipping.

I have a beer/trading problem! lol (the first step is admitting you have a problem)
    Dankbeers619 and fargoth like this.
  13. Hanzo

Still cheaper than a Country Club membership....
    afrokaze likes this.
  14. been there, done that. My local offices (all of them, lol) are hip to that game, and seem to charge even more on an overcorrection these days.
    Mavajo likes this.
  15. JeepCop

JeepCop Aficionado (235) Kansas May 16, 2010

This really got me thinking... I now have 100+ in 2 years. Maybe it's time to reevaluate this a bit. :confused:
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  16. Hanzo

I was really just joking, I don't have it in me to put a pound, but I've gotten in a bunch of heavy boxes listed as such. Worst I do is shave off a couple pounds here and there due to the inaccuracy of my scale, wink wink.
    HopsJunkiedotcom and Exiled like this.
  17. Exiled

I will admit that I do lie about the weight of my boxes here, and there to help save on shipping cost, but I dont ever try to get away with shipping say a 20-40 lb box, and only putting 1 lb for the weight, for they will a lot of times catch you on that, and recalculate your billing at a higher cost with a correction fee.

But when im shipping say a 20-40 lb box, I will put something like 8-12 lb for the weight, to help save a lil on shipping cost. Youll save quite a few dollars shipping a "8-12 lb" box compared to a 20-40 lb box. ;)
  18. Don't pay them?
  19. Exiled

Well trade me an Old Nuptial before you do damnit! ;)

(seriously!)
    thagr81us likes this.
  20. I've been scaling back and still plan on doing the occasional trade and BIF, but I'm getting a little burnt out on the scene. The "King Henry Era" has really killed the spirit of the community - ISO/FT is purely about maximizing returns now, people openly Ebay without repercussion, noobs are diving in headfirst without even trying to learn the ropes, and every day there's another "bad trader" or "pre-bad trader" post going up.

It's no longer fun to seek out beers - it is painful. I've found myself recently passing up FT/ISO's that I would have jumped at once upon a time, and that's probably as good of a sign as any.
  21. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

I guess I look at trading a different way, I dont care about the Rare stuff. i want to trade my Local stuff for locals that i cant get here. I guess if i keep it like this ill probably be happier.
    litheum94, FTowne and csano like this.
  22. I think I'm at a dozen trades. I've accepted that the monetary value of the beers I receive will never equal the amount of cash I put into this hobby, but isn't that how hobbies typically work? The Canadian craft beer scene lags so far behind the Americans, I'm willing to pay extra to experience the best beers in the world.
    daryk77 likes this.
  23. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Just about there myself. I think about this every time I look at the whole Weihenstephaner (sp?) selection every time I'm at the bottle shop and realize I haven't even tried half of them. I realize I'm doing myself a disservice by not buying those and picking up bottles for trade instead. I have one box planned for this summer but other than that I'm punching out as well. Might finally get the upgrades to my homebrew setup with the money I save!
  24. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I've basically punched out too. Had about 20+ trades over two years. It's just not worth the hassle, IMO. Plenty of good beers available locally, and if there's some hot item I really want that's not available around here, I'll just try to find it online.

Cost wasn't really the issue for me. It was just the inconvenience of negotiating, packing and shipping. Perhaps if FedEx/UPS legalized alcohol shipping and BA actually implemented an infrastructure for trading, I may do it some more. But as it is, I'd rather just drink what I have available around here, or just pay a little premium to buy stuff online. It costs a little more, but it's way less hassle and I don't have to ship off any of my own beer.

Honestly, trading is just kind of a pain in the ass, IMO.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  25. I'm essentially punching out, as well. The only time I'll be trading is with my one regular trading partner, and if I'm really eager to get a certain bottle. I added up all the money I spent on beer & shipping a few months ago (within a 1 month time frame) and almost puked.

P.S. The trading forums are pathetic. Nothing but maximizing return value now. The sense of sharing good beer with a tight-knit community is all but lost.
  26. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm trading less with random people, and basically waiting for beers I really want to try rather than continuously seeking things out. I mean, I don't really need any barrel aged stout besides Parabola, BA barleywine besides Abacus, IPA besides RR's, lambics besides what I can on the shelf, etc, so trading is really all that necessary. It can still be fun.
    afrokaze likes this.
  27. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Cheaper than hookers and eight balls.
    copslovebeer, ant880 and Exiled like this.
  28. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I have a baby on the way. The decision was made for me.

Cheers!
  29. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

This is me. After a few years of trying 1-2 new beers on an almost daily basis, I've got it pretty much nailed down which beers I like. A lot of them are available locally, and for the ones that aren't, I've found online vendors that sell them.

Some of my favorites have become a complete and total clusterfuck (KBS, Hopslam, etc.), so I've had to phase them out. Oh well. Better than being one of those assholes who's calling a dozen store and running all over the city just to scrounge up a 4-pack or two. And I would know -- I was one of those assholes for long enough. What a pain in the ass.
  30. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Not so much the cost for me, just too many "noobs gettin wales" hence all the bad trader threads.

Life happens way to much on BA now.
  31. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

That's very honest of you, admitting you are still a scumbag to some degree. :p
    mikecharley likes this.
  32. Eh, I've traded about 4 times since last fall, and I enjoy it. I live in Ontario, so beer selection is extremely limited compared to the states. Every trade I've done has worked out pretty well, for both sides, hopefully. I enjoy sharing Ontario beer with people who don't have access to it as well as getting to try interesting stuff in return. I likely won't trade very often, but receiving boxes of beer is so worth it.
  33. Been trading for about 3.5 years with probably around 100-125 under my belt and am mostly hanging it up myself.

For me it's two main issues:
    1) The whole trading scene and pursuit of the latest barrel aged stout with people trying to maximize at every effort has definitely helped my burn out. It's not just trading but this attitude in beer culture that has me moving on form the scene in general. I really find myself just enjoying a well crafted IPA or Hefe these days and just not wanting anything more so there is not much need for trading anymore.

2) I have way too much beer. It's easy just to amass alot of beer when trading and I can't drink all of this beer. Even if I went to tastings all the time, it would take a while to get rid of and I know some of it is probably going downhill. I've been trading off my beer stash for good bourbon/scotch that I can't get around here. Hit me up if you want to set up something like that.

Maybe I'll do more trades in the future but maybe not. I still remember that first box that seemed so exciting when it showed up at my house. I'm sure something will catch my attention in the future and I'll do another trade, but it'll probably be some random local IPA that sounds tasty instead of Barrel Aged whatever.
    Rempo likes this.
  34. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

So you are suggesting stealing? Why?
  35. Hanzo

Continue reading the thread.
  36. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I've stopping trading, due to cost and financial problems, getting boxes is fun but I really don't miss it that much.
  37. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I'm avoiding large trades for this very reason.

I feel like the moment I agree to a large trade, my wife will run off with the UPS driver (we love you though Joe!) my dog will die, my computer will crash, my car will break down, my wallet will be stolen, and I'll catch a nasty case of Palastaie Limosae!

Trading is just too risky these days.
    Pahn and Photekut like this.
  38. Most things are...
  39. Let's not take the thread in that direction. Please.
    pschul4 likes this.
  40. It's so funny this thread popped up today, as I too am sending out a $40+ box from VA to CA. I hadn't traded in a while (though I'm easily at 60+), as the cost to quality ratio, like many of you, has just gotten to be to much. As some of you have stated, I've got access to some great, delicious shelf suds that I have really neglected over the last few years.

And for most of us I assume, we've hit the proverbial wall, where we've pretty much had everything we set out to tick. I know for me, I've scaled many a barrel aged moutain, and feel that the price of trading no longer carries the same value as it used to. I'll still keep up and swap with my regulars, of which I've got around four...maybe five. Otherwise, and unless it's something I'VE JUST GOTTA HAVE, I'll be sitting back and relaxin' as I have the last month or two, and watch all the noobs canibalize themselves on the trading forums.
    chase2634 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.