1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

I think I'm done trading

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by ShogoKawada, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

I don't think Shogo intended it at all, but this whole thread has turned into a circle-jerk of negativity, and I agree there's way too much of a focus on it. People need to chill. Then again, it is the internet. What would it be without cynicism and negativity?

Here's a thought: maybe instead of Trading - General/Help we should have two separate forums: Trading - Bitching/Moaning, and Trading - What can I get for my (insert beer here)?
    gklover1, Ultraman9000 and jsboots21 like this.
  2. jsboots21

jsboots21 Member

Ironic I enjoyed that given that sarcasm is its own brand of negativity... :D
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  3. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Dude, bike. So much better.
    Soonami, Etan and ChadQuest like this.
  4. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Member

I often make helpful, what I consider to be friendly posts when I see a noob doing something that isn't congruent with the culture and I'm happy to do it. The vast majority thank me for helping them learn the ropes. Others go batshit crazy as if I were insulting their mothers. Sometimes I can't help myself and write something snarky, but that's usually when it's clear that the poster has made no effort to assimilate to the culture. Ultimately, it's not the veterans jobs to guide newer users if they have no intention to put any effort into integrating.

Both of these stories invole the newcomer putting in effort to assist with interaction with the natives. This is exactly what I want from the newcomers here.

I don't expect noobs to know the finer points of the trading culture. I do expect them to have some idea of how to behave though. I'm not talking about the right way to pronounce a word, I'm talking about driving on the correct side of the road.

People wouldn't be so frustrated with and leaving the trading arena if the positives were outweighing the negatives.
  5. Levitation

Levitation Member

true, i guess i took that for granted. and i wouldn't lump all of cali together - a lot of it is still a beer wasteland, and aside from a few stunners, i'd argue the top half of the state is boring. snorecal imo. :)
    CaptainTripps likes this.
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Wait, I thought everyone in Cali lived within two hours of Russian River. Is this not true? No wonder people weren't willing to mule 6 cases of Beatification for me...
  7. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Member

Hahaha, no, I am forever away from RR... but right next door to the Bruery ;p
  8. jsboots21

jsboots21 Member

According to your profile, you're roughly my age, so you should understand that our generation is the chauffeured generation which constantly texts when actually behind the wheel.

So I guess I'll blame society and my parents for this woeful existence and horrid state of trading affairs. Seems reasonable and agreeable.
  9. CarolinaKevin

CarolinaKevin Member

Add me to the list of traders hanging it up indefinitely. It seems that trading has slowly become less fun and more hassle, I have traded with many great and generous BA's, and it took me about a year and a half to finally get to this point. Aside from cost, I just think trades have become more and more difficult to complete and it's not really worth the hassle anymore. I have plenty to age and drink, plus there is plenty on shelves that I need to try anyway.
    chase2634 and marine1975 like this.
  10. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Member

Just move to Philly, there is no need to trade if you live here, everything comes here eventually. For example with beer week coming up I am going to be able to tick a bunch of Funky Buddah beers, a few limited sours from various breweries, A bunch of De Molen one offs, Dark Horse Smells Like Weed, etc. It's a tickers paradise year round for those who don't have the means to trade all the time.
    chase2634 likes this.
  11. mhenson42

mhenson42 Member

Yeah, the beer is great. It's just the living in Philly part that's the problem.:p
  12. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

Well DC has it's runs too with the so called "everything comes here" but it isn't cheap either. But the best part is you don't have to live in Philly :D

HA HA

Ok that aside...

the worst though was I was using my GOTS as more importantly a record of what was in my fridge/cellar. Mostly so I could keep track... and of course quickly look up at the time for what I had.

One time back in yore, I tried a request for a trade, I sent out a request, got a few responses... nothing really came of it... however... after one person emailed me ... (some new kid no doubt) and the trade didn't work out (I agreed to disagree.. no harm) ... he then had to convo (email) me back and say...

"I don't believe for a second you have all those beers on your gots list"..

un F***kin real.. are you kidding me???

I seriously hope people who are gettin into trading aren't acting like this all around...
  13. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Member

I somewhat agree, I think the beer selection is the only thing keeping me here. The pros (beer selection) equal out the cons (Philly).
    mhenson42 likes this.
  14. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Member

Ive only been a member since July 2011. I am in the process of completing my third trade. I read the trading forums for 5 months (along with other resources) before I even attempted to make a trade. I am just looking to try beers i am unable to get in Los Angeles, if something spectacular comes my way, even better.

And i would like to think i am a very generous person in general. I am actually worried that the person who i sent my last box to has already had the extras i sent him because i failed to check the distribution list before i sent them. Although all three bombers/375ml. are varieties of Cali beers (Ballast Point, Alpine, and Port) that i don't see on shelves on a regular basis here, i'd be surprised if they are readily available in the midwest.

But then again i respect the opinion of BA's that have been around forever, and i have no frame of reference when it comes to getting burned by a noob or the saturation of the trading forums with assholes.

I guess my point is that i am a noob, but i am not an asshole...

Cheers!
  15. glitchedmind

glitchedmind Member

snorecal? hah! Central Valley (well, I can only speak of Bakersfield) is the epitome of beer wasteland. The few craft beer suppliers either have a great selection and gouge (imbibe), great prices, but smaller selection (GM Liquor). The other two have a decent selection, but their product is often shelf stored, and/or outdated.
  16. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Member

I work in shipping and get a great deal (a 20 ish box costs me right at $10) and still look at my bill and have to wonder if its worth it.
  17. normyk

normyk Member

I've been steadily cutting back to just in-person stuff and BIFs (which I still love, but have cut back on). I just don't think that I need all these beers. Yeah, it would be nice to try some of them, but, eh, no biggie if I don't.

The wake-up call as it were was stressing over a hobby - the work, the time, the need. The expense is beside the point for me. I shouldn't be stressing over a hobby. I do hobbies for fun. Beer is a hobby. Screw stressing over it.

My current plan/goal/approach is to attend cool beer events and releases and chill. Good beer and good people. I'll be a semi-regional homer (which I already am) and just enjoy what comes my way.
    ShogoKawada and CarolinaKevin like this.
  18. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Member

I have been cutting back considerably, but I have not quit. It is expensive, and I'm trying to save a helluvalotta money by the end of this year, when I'm out of the army and back in college (again). Plus I'm focusing more on homebrewing now (it's also much cheeper to homebrew, once you have the stuff you need).

That doesn't mean I'm OUT of the trading game, just slowing it down some... if one of my trading buddies wanted something that I could get, I don't think I could say no. Plus I'm in a homebrew BIF right now anyway, with another homebrew/commercial brew trade pending. So when I say cutting back, I mean that in a very loose sense of the term. :D
  19. pschul4

pschul4 Member

After reading this entire thing (it took about 45 minutes but I don't have anything to do until my dad's TV show is over at 9 cst so I can watch some Spurs/OKC :) ) I've decided that once i get some more beer/money I'm going to look for 1 or maybe 2 more regular partners (along with grumpyjunglist who is the fucking man) and call it from there. I've had all (or most) of the big boys and nothing seems as good as BCBS for stouts, Daisy Cutter/Zombie Dust for pales, and all my other needs (sours/IPAs) are taken care of by grumpyjunglist. Only thing I'll really be looking for in the future is a heady topper trading partner :D

However I do plan on continuing to give n00bs advice if they ask for it, and leave their threads alone if they say "BM only"

Cheers!
    OtisCampbell and Beerontwowheels like this.
  20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

costs are definitely prohibitive. i'm at the point these days of focusing on enjoying the fruits of my labor with local BAs. i still have the occasional trade spurt (have 3 boxes en route to me right now), but i have been focusing more on proxy situations and glass acquisition. pretty cool to find someone who will pick stuff up for you at cost and you send them a shipping label...and then return the favor by doing the same or tossing them a want or two. everyone is happy, you get exactly what you want and you don't get raped in the forums. not to mention with more and more online retailers popping up, i'm thinking of getting my out of distribution fixes from internet retailers.

to echo the sentiments of many others...craft beer and the gatherings surrounding it are exciting and fun for me and other than supporting my family, i don't really splurge on many other things, so i am willing to take the hit on an occasional box, but as i'm focusing more on drinking down what i have, drinking less in general, and enjoying more of what my local distribution gets (and the way it is growing), trading naturally has slowed down.

always happy to lend a hand to previous traders and n00bs...but not always up for a trade, but proxy situations are win/win...i get to shop in a store with someone else's money and ship to them on their dime and hopefully if i ever want the return favor, it is just a conversation away. it's also nice to get stuff at cost without the insanity of dealing with the hostage state that the forum is these days.
    gueuzehead likes this.
  21. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Member

I love your attitude about this (and most your other posts), which makes me sad you aren't trading as much. If you ever wanna help a n00b out or get a new proxy situation in SoCal, let me know.
  22. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

I'll proxy helping a n00b out for him. (also I need a Bruery hookup).
  23. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

I have two things to say:

1) You are a great trader and you will be missed.
    2) It's hilarious and fitting that shipping a huge box of White Birch to me made you give up on trading.
    franklinn, claaark13, aasher and 7 others like this.
  24. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Member

Found this out when I took a trip to South Lake Tahoe in late December. You would think in a high mountain town as such there would be an awesome beer scene. That place was a wasteland.

/good looking women though
  25. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

more than happy to go shopping for you (or anyone who doesn't come across as a profiteer/ebayer on this site) for cost and shipping label. i have more than enough boxes and packing material and my wife would be really pleased to see some of that go away and not get replaced in a few days. all i ask is you let me know when everything arrives and say thanks...or pay it forward. if you are someone who likes to send thank you boxes, i wouldn't turn them away, but at the same time, i have enough beer so it isn't really necessary at all. i'm even happy to do this for limited releases if i can get ahold of them (without having to go store hopping, but sometimes even that is fun). i proxied at least 8 rares when they hit town. LI, NY gets really nice distribution IMO and i like to throw as much business to my favorite retailers as i can.

who you calling a n00b? ;)
  26. JeepCop

JeepCop Member

That definitely helps... I choose not to look at my bill (the wife handles the finances) and she hasn't said much...

Seriously though, with Surly and Town Hall what more do you really need?
  27. liamt07

liamt07 Member

Not as into it as I used to be, have a couple trading partners from across the country that I hook up with regularly, but that's about it. Tasting group is well travelled, we can typically acquire a variety of things without much effort. Really struggle to follow the trading forum too, which doesn't help.
  28. stupac2

stupac2 Member

WHY ARE YOU STILL TRADING FOR WHITE BIRCH????
    aasher and nathanjohnson like this.
  29. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

What ^^^ said. I was wondering who in the world was getting punished by shogo with that box and I can't believe its you...I see a lot of Fs and Ds in your reviewing future.
    aasher likes this.
  30. bum732

bum732 Member

For the best kind of reviewing there is, troll reviewing.
    bugdoc and ShogoKawada like this.
  31. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

I encourage it... clears out shelf space for other beers.
    aasher likes this.
  32. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

I sent him quite a box of terror. I can't wait.
    aasher and bugdoc like this.
  33. Overlord

Overlord Member

I wonder if the lack of interest in trading is partly responsible for the fall-off of this site's web traffic numbers. According to Alexa.com, there's been a gigantic downward shift for beeradvocate as a whole over the last six months. Time spent on site down about 20%, traffic from search engines (rather than dedicated users) up 30% ... every metric sinking faster than a White Birch beer's trading value after the first report of an infection crops up.

Could also be disgruntlement over still unresolved technical woes or people tired of their posts getting deleted for no reason, or maybe people are burnt out a bit. Ratebeer is down as well (though not as dramatically). Trading probably drove a lot of site traffic.
  34. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

could be a vicious cycle of an increase in bans/timeouts due to the current state of the trade forum. we are killing each other off slowly by fighting about "value" which degrades into personal attacks and other TOS violations which results in bans and timeouts and ultimately people either not being allowed on the site or being sick of getting attacked when they point out the actual cost of a beer or bottle count.
  35. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Member

I was wondering who the poor bastard was that was getting that box.
  36. Levitation

Levitation Member

1414 NEVAR FORGET
    BOBPINCH666 likes this.
  37. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

lol. is this the new BA Coton? ;)

i'll let you know if it is worth the hype...got a bottle coming to me from a previous trading partner who didn't want to rake me over the coals for a $10 1000 bottle release (LOL).

ps. fixed your typo :p
  38. Levitation

Levitation Member

heh, is this the one where you refused to trade a $13 17,000 bottle release for it?

that was intentional.
  39. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Have the forums been up for six months yet? That seems like the most likely cause to me, people went away and didn't come back, came back, didn't like, and left, etc. Could also be that the continuing economic shittiness means fewer people can afford this dumb hobby.
  40. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

which one is that? can't think of any $13 17,000 bottle releases that i've ever gotten ahold of? the only thing that comes to mind that "might" fit the bill was KH which was $18 locally - $20 plus after tax/bottle dep, but i trade them at $18 (and i know you were watching those threads).

would love to know of anyone in NY (or IL) who got that one for $13. i traded more than my fair share of KH for locals, BIF'ed it, gave 3 for 2 hunah and a glass, etc (i'm all about fair). perhaps your anger should be more directed at the profiteers and you should stop sweating me? aren't you out of the trading game anyway these days? you should really read some of your posts concerning beatification (pot meet kettle) before you go and start attacking people who are actually helpful to the community and if you think i'm not helpful to the community then why continue to sweat me? i'd really like to put you on ignore and leave you there, but the attacks are just uncalled for. get a life.

reminds me of pee wee's big adventure - "i meant to do that"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.