1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

... I think your keg is mislabeled.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by docnose, Feb 26, 2013.

1. docnose

docnose Aficionado (155) Alabama Feb 7, 2013

I had my first experience tonight of me hands-down-knowing that a beer I was served was not the beer I ordered. At least the one I got was still one I liked... and, fortunately, having lived here for many years now, I was completely comfortable bringing this to the attention of the manager who I've known for many years going back to drinking with him before he was even a bartender!

I told him I thought it was wrong and he took a sniff of the beer (it was supposed to be a barrel aged porter and I'm 99% confident it was the regular porter) and agreed that it didn't smell like it was the barrel aged one, but when he checked the keg the label on it definitely said it was the barrel aged porter - he even took a picture with his phone to show me.

The story ends with him taking the beer off my tab and saying he would follow up with the distributor since he couldn't personally, definitively, discern if it was one or the other. So it all worked out... kind of...

The bartender was the first person I made aware that there was an issue and she responded that she had already sold several that day to other people who hadn't said anything about it! This makes me cringe at the idea that people came in and expected, OBB's "Barrel Aged Porter" (Amazingly delicious) and instead got OBB's "Roaming Bear" (delightfully drinkable, but...) and now have a poor opinion of a barrel aged beer that I love!

What do you do when you order a beer and don't think it's the right beer? Have you ever done this and been totally wrong?
  2. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

It's only happened to me once. I brought it to the bartenders attention, and he promptly remedied the mistake. He accidentally poured an IPA instead of a Hef. It was busy, and the taps were adjacent. Understandable mistake that he happily fixed.
  3. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Happened the other week, ordered an IPA got a kolsch. Brought it up to the waitress who insisted it was the IPA but then came back with a sample of the real IPA and acknowledged there was a mix up. and offered to replace the wrong beer. I made the mistake of doing so because the kolsch was a lot better than the IPA.
  4. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (325) Maryland Mar 7, 2010

Actually had this happen to me back in January. I was told they had Sierra Nevada Celebration on tap so I ordered it. What I got was way too light in color. I tasted it more out of curiosity than anything else. It was a good pale ale probably SNPA. I told the waitress that what she gave me was tasty and I wasn't complaining but she should know it's not Celebration. She came back to me and said the bartender traced the lines and "whatever it is it's coming out of a keg that says Sierra Nevada". I drank and enjoyed the beer but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.
  5. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Happened to me, people have always been awesome about it. Mistakes happen.
    Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  6. YogiBeer

Shit, send me a growler of this porter btw... Ill send you something yummy for it.
    docnose likes this.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

It happened to me a few years ago. The tap handle said Breckenridge Small Batch DIPA but it sure as hell wasn't. The manager insisted I was wrong...I asked him to taste it and see for himself but he back chatted..I don't drink beer.:eek:
    YogiBeer likes this.
  8. It has happened to me at a local place, and now I avoid that place like the plague. They also don't clean their lines, so it was a total crap shoot to go there.
  9. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

I once ordered a Dreadnaught (9.5%) and was served a Pride and Joy (5%). Humbly must admit that at first sip I knew it was not what I was used to but started questioning whether my taste buds had finally been destroyed by years of Imperial IPA's, eating the hottest vindaloo's I could find, putting tabasco on pretty much everything, well you get the idea. Current wife on the other hand took one sip and called the bartender over demanding an explanation (they had neglected to swap out the tap handle). Good thing as the sense of taste is all I have left having lost much of my sense of smell years ago due to, well, let's just say I had a lot of friends that were all political refugees from Cuba.
  10. mverity

mverity Savant (405) Florida Oct 6, 2012

HAHAHA I have sent back beer mix ups several times and been happy with the results. My one embarrassing story involves me doubting the waiter. My girlfriend and I had already had a few problems at this restaurant that night, and the server was becoming irritable. I ordered a Belgian quad, received a double, then sent it back. When the server came back less than a minute later with a beer, I assumed (incorrectly) that he had gone to the bar, used a straw to stir up some head on the beer, and walked back to our table. I 'called' him out on this, and he pointed to the quad sitting at the service well. I felt (perhaps understandably) like a jerk.
    luwak likes this.
  11. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Depends on what I'm ordered. If it's wrong, I really could care less, it's still beer.
  12. docnose

Ouch!

I think I would get a little annoyed over that... Since technically I wouldn't care whether or not he drank beer when the issue was whether -I- was drinking the right beer!!!

That's my biggest concern is either thinking I'm having something that I'm not, or, as the case that prompted the original posting, thinking I'm going to get something I love and only getting something I like....... 1st world problems.

I would like to do some trading! I'll move this conversation to private message though.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  13. YogiBeer

Then GTFO, mister bartender.
    docnose likes this.
  14. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Happened to me twice.

The first time i had ordered a Bolt Cutter. I had not had it before. I tried it and liked it, but it didn't seem like a barelywine and it definitely did not seem like a 15% beer, especially after drinking about 12 ounces of it and i didn't feel really buzzed (also was not the first beer of the night). A friend of mine who was with me tried it and said it tasted like Backwoods Bastard, which I sorta agreed with once he suggested that. When I got home, I sent a beer mail to the beer manager who I know on here... He said that I was not the first one to suggest that it was not Bolt Cutter, but he has double checked the keg a few times and it was labeled Bolt Cutter. He did admit that it was possible that the keg was mislabeled. About a week later, I tried Bolt Cutter at another location and it was completely different that what i was served previously. Either way, the beer manager was very cool about and, since it was mislabeled, there was not a whole lot he could do (plus it was after the fact that I told him). And being served Backwoods Bastard is not that bad of a consolation prize.

The other time it happened, a friend I was with order Sucks. The waitress put it down on the table, it was very clear and very carbonated. I took one look and said "That's not Sucks". We both tried it, it was pretty hoppy and tasted great, but clearly was not sucks. The Waitress came back later and said they had changed the line to Daytime IPA and she was not aware that it was a different Lagunitas beer. She offered to bring my friend a different beer if he wanted, but he liked the Daytime and stuck with that....

For both of these, it really wasn't a big deal. Plus if you stick to places where the service is good, you'll probably have little trouble getting problems fixed.
    docnose likes this.
  15. On a hot summers day I got a growler fill of harpoon summer ale, the only thing i had any interest in drinking whatsoever, at a ridiculously overpriced little shop in midtown manhattan. Took it to a friends and poured out a dark brown cloudy beer with distinctive banana and clove esters. I was like what the hell? Double checked the harpoon website and saw that this couldn't possibly be the right beer, can't recall exactly but I think it was supposed to be a kolsch. The store insisted it was the right beer and said the draft line was running into a harpoon keg. I let it go because we were on our way to a ball game and the whole exchange took place over the phone. Later research revealed the beer to be one of the handful of truly awful Chelsea brewing beers they had at the time.

Went back months later when they had BCBCS and they told me it was only for regular customers but if spent 100 dollars they'd sell me one... For 30 bucks. Fortunately I wound up getting a handful elsewhere for 18 a pop. Despite all this I saw they had growler fills of speedway so I figured what the hell... Until they told me they'd only give me a MASON JAR full. They actually pulled a fucking mason jar off the shelf. Um, no.

Btw this is 9th avenue vintners. Fuck those fuckeddy fuck fuckers with a soup ladle.
  16. docnose

I understand that mistakes happen, but these guys sound like they were reaching for you wallet with one hand while fisting you with the other!!!
    WoodburyMN likes this.
  17. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

fuckeddy priceless! Love it.
    NYSPHophead likes this.
  18. ^ wow thats crazy and would def be the last time i stepped into that store, I hate that kinda shit. The shame is there are people that will pay that premium because the beer is so hyped.
  19. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (365) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

docnose likes this.
  20. this happened to me the other night. i ordered a snpa (a beer that many many BA's could pick out of a beer line up) and was served a local pale ale (one with a dramatically different smell/taste) instead. i told the waiter, he believed me, took it back to the bar and then informed me that the bartender had run out of snpa so had just filled my glass with 'another pale ale'. no biggie but i wondered how many people had noticed.
  21. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Only happened once recently.. ordered a Southern Tier 2XMAS for the wife and they gave her the 2XIPA. The bartender went on a mission since they thought the wrong keg was hooked up but after a few minutes he realized he just poured the wrong one. Understandable since they are so similar in name. Wasn't a huge deal since the wife loves both beers.

It would be interesting to know how often these kinds of mixups happen and the person doesn't even realize. Of course barrel aged vs non barrel aged difference is huge, but if someone were a few beers in and that mixup was a regular ST IPA instead of the 2X IPA would they be able to tell the difference? Who knows.
  22. docnose

That's a huge deal to someone like myself who may go to a bar and drink three beers that I've never had before!

Yeah, that's kind of why I brought this up... How many people had been drinking off the mislabeled keg and have no idea they were drinking the wrong beer!?
  23. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

A few weeks ago I got to drink Allagash Confluence at the price of Curieux -- even after I pointed out the beer had no bourbon character and plenty of Confluence character and the bartender tried it -- he insisted it was the right beer. OK. You'd be charging me more if you thought it was Confluence.
    luwak and docnose like this.
  24. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I ordered a Bells Best Brown last week and got a stout that upon first whiff was clearly barrel aged. I did not complain but inquired and it turns out they had just tapped BELL'S BLACK NOTE! They apologized (I didn't care) and gave it to me for the Best Brown price!!! All I wanted to know was what they had given me but I wasn't complain when they told me those things!
    Eriktheipaman and docnose like this.
  25. That is some shady stuff.
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  26. I would be so happy if I ordered a glass of Bolt Cutter and they brought me Backwoods. I would play along and say how about another Bolt Cutter...
    pjs234 and docnose like this.
  27. Happened to me once. Ordered a Saison Du Pont and was given a Guinness. Used my BA deductive reasoning and nose like a bloodhound to realize I was given the incorrect beer. Was given a replacement no questions asked. Felt pretty smart.
  28. malfunxion

malfunxion Savant (420) New York Dec 14, 2012

Getting a beer I did not order happens more than I'd like to admit, especially at bars with generic tap handles, or with workers that know nothing about beers. I don't mind as long as they treat me with respect about the issue, unfortunately in New York that's not always the case.

First instance I remember was ordering Great Divides Yeti and getting Troegs Hopback Amber
    luwak and docnose like this.
  29. I once ordered a Two Hearted Ale and was served what I believe was a Miller Lite. When I brought it to their attention, They told me that the drinks chart was outdated and that they no longer had Two Hearted Ale so they gave me the " closest thing ". At least the buffalo chicken was good!
  30. In reference to that bartender I shall quote Lawrence from Office Space.

No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
  31. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Last time this happened to me was at a restaurant in Downtown Austin. We were sitting at the bar... my lady ordered a cocktail and I ordered a Racer 5 IPA. As soon as it hit the table I knew it was the wrong beer... the color was light yellow and the smell was malty with only a tinge of hops.

I told the bartender "uhhh... this is a lager, not an IPA" and he insisted (like an asshole) that he had been pouring it all day and no one else had complained. I asked if he could pour it again, he kinda shrugged and went about serving others. At this point I was steaming from this guy's attitude and the bar manager came over, so I explained the situation. He took one smell of the beer, looked at the tap lines and said the keg lines had been switched between Racer 5 and a local lager.

The bartender said over 20+ people had ordered Racer 5 and got a lager and not complained about it. Thus proving my claim that the vast majority of people ordering beer have no goddamn idea what they're drinking! lol.
    Moose90 and luwak like this.
  32. docnose

I guess most people really just can't tell... it's not like they're ordering for the label. Other than trying out new beer why would you order a beer that you couldn't recognize...? Or do you think most people just don't say anything? Or is it just that all bartenders are infallible in their own minds...
  33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I blame hipsters.
    Falcone, jimmy666 and docnose like this.
  34. A good bartender should respect his customers, himself, the bar he works at and the brewery he is supposed to be serving. No excuse for that attitude in the business at all.
    docnose and chippo33 like this.
  35. atomic

atomic Savant (425) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

:eek:
    How the hell can you get a lager confused for a DIPA like Racer 5?
  36. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I once ordered a dfh hellhound. Never had the beer then before, but i swear the bartender poured some lemon pledge in my glass instead of said beer. Sam Calgione seems like such a cool guy. No way he would allow dfh to brew such an atrocity. (For the record 90 and 60 min. got me into ipas and I highly recommend 75 min and Palo Santo Marron. Actually most of their year rounds and seasonals are super solid. The hellhoud was the only thumbs-down beer i had from them. But to each his own)
    siege06nd likes this.
  37. it sounds like this problem is being handled as best iit can be. This doesn't happen to me often but the time i recall is when i was served La Cumbre's maibock instead of their Dubbel. It was at a local bar and not at the brewery itself. I told the bartender who (knowing not knowing the difference herself) informed the manager. He then investigated and it informed me that they had run out of the dubbel and tapped the next keg they had which was their next seasonal. it was taken off my tab and i got some free food for it. I regular this bar for their tap selection, select bar staff, specials, and service. I've never been let down by them. The few mishaps and misunderstandings that have happened here have all resolved for me and most everyone i know who goes here.

sorry, i guess the G'knight and wild turkey are making me rant tonight. :rolleyes:
    docnose likes this.
  38. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

closest thing? really? miller lite is nowhere even close to a two hearted? did you even do anything? just curious?
  39. Are you sure it was even Buffalo chicken? Maybe they were all out and gave you Albany Chicken instead?
    stayclean and SometimesIfart like this.
  40. Yup, same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with some draft Nugget Nectar. Beer tasted like Hopback to me. Told the waitress about it, had it sent back..received another glass of the same. I then figured perhaps the lines were not hooked up correctly so I emailed the GM about it. He told me he had personally hooked up the kegs and they were correct. He then told me he wasn't a regular Troegs drinker but he had tried the NN side by side with the Hopback and couldn't really tell a difference (red flag #1).. but other employees could. Now anyone (beer drinker or not) should certainly be able to tell these two beers apart. So we had come to the conclusion that he had simply received a bad batch from Troegs. After all, there was a bunch of off batches that got bottled in January. So he was going to contact the distributor to see if they could have the kegs swapped out. He had the same problem with Mad Elf he tells me. Anyway, after feeding me all this bullshit, I go there today.. and he's still severing the same bad batch of NN! *shrug* I tried. I guess I was the only person who actually knew what they were tasting so it wasn't worth the hassle to him.