... I think your keg is mislabeled.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by docnose, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dap325

dap325 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2009 New York

Only happened once recently.. ordered a Southern Tier 2XMAS for the wife and they gave her the 2XIPA. The bartender went on a mission since they thought the wrong keg was hooked up but after a few minutes he realized he just poured the wrong one. Understandable since they are so similar in name. Wasn't a huge deal since the wife loves both beers.

It would be interesting to know how often these kinds of mixups happen and the person doesn't even realize. Of course barrel aged vs non barrel aged difference is huge, but if someone were a few beers in and that mixup was a regular ST IPA instead of the 2X IPA would they be able to tell the difference? Who knows.

2. docnose

docnose Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Alabama

That's a huge deal to someone like myself who may go to a bar and drink three beers that I've never had before!

Yeah, that's kind of why I brought this up... How many people had been drinking off the mislabeled keg and have no idea they were drinking the wrong beer!?

3. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2009 Maine

A few weeks ago I got to drink Allagash Confluence at the price of Curieux -- even after I pointed out the beer had no bourbon character and plenty of Confluence character and the bartender tried it -- he insisted it was the right beer. OK. You'd be charging me more if you thought it was Confluence.

luwak and docnose like this.
  4. klaybie

klaybie Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

I ordered a Bells Best Brown last week and got a stout that upon first whiff was clearly barrel aged. I did not complain but inquired and it turns out they had just tapped BELL'S BLACK NOTE! They apologized (I didn't care) and gave it to me for the Best Brown price!!! All I wanted to know was what they had given me but I wasn't complain when they told me those things!

Eriktheipaman and docnose like this.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

That is some shady stuff.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  6. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

I would be so happy if I ordered a glass of Bolt Cutter and they brought me Backwoods. I would play along and say how about another Bolt Cutter...

pjs234 and docnose like this.
  7. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

Happened to me once. Ordered a Saison Du Pont and was given a Guinness. Used my BA deductive reasoning and nose like a bloodhound to realize I was given the incorrect beer. Was given a replacement no questions asked. Felt pretty smart.

8. malfunxion

malfunxion Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 New York

Getting a beer I did not order happens more than I'd like to admit, especially at bars with generic tap handles, or with workers that know nothing about beers. I don't mind as long as they treat me with respect about the issue, unfortunately in New York that's not always the case.

First instance I remember was ordering Great Divides Yeti and getting Troegs Hopback Amber

luwak and docnose like this.
  9. Raime

Raime Pooh-Bah (1,935) Jun 4, 2012 Korea (North)
    Pooh-Bah

I once ordered a Two Hearted Ale and was served what I believe was a Miller Lite. When I brought it to their attention, They told me that the drinks chart was outdated and that they no longer had Two Hearted Ale so they gave me the " closest thing ". At least the buffalo chicken was good!

10. HokiesandBeer

In reference to that bartender I shall quote Lawrence from Office Space.

No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

11. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Last time this happened to me was at a restaurant in Downtown Austin. We were sitting at the bar... my lady ordered a cocktail and I ordered a Racer 5 IPA. As soon as it hit the table I knew it was the wrong beer... the color was light yellow and the smell was malty with only a tinge of hops.

I told the bartender "uhhh... this is a lager, not an IPA" and he insisted (like an asshole) that he had been pouring it all day and no one else had complained. I asked if he could pour it again, he kinda shrugged and went about serving others. At this point I was steaming from this guy's attitude and the bar manager came over, so I explained the situation. He took one smell of the beer, looked at the tap lines and said the keg lines had been switched between Racer 5 and a local lager.

The bartender said over 20+ people had ordered Racer 5 and got a lager and not complained about it. Thus proving my claim that the vast majority of people ordering beer have no goddamn idea what they're drinking! lol.

Moose90 and luwak like this.
  12. docnose

docnose Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Alabama

I guess most people really just can't tell... it's not like they're ordering for the label. Other than trying out new beer why would you order a beer that you couldn't recognize...? Or do you think most people just don't say anything? Or is it just that all bartenders are infallible in their own minds...

13. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

I blame hipsters.

Falcone, jimmy666 and docnose like this.
  14. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

A good bartender should respect his customers, himself, the bar he works at and the brewery he is supposed to be serving. No excuse for that attitude in the business at all.

docnose and chippo33 like this.
  15. atomic

atomic Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

:grimacing:
    How the hell can you get a lager confused for a DIPA like Racer 5?

16. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

I once ordered a dfh hellhound. Never had the beer then before, but i swear the bartender poured some lemon pledge in my glass instead of said beer. Sam Calgione seems like such a cool guy. No way he would allow dfh to brew such an atrocity. (For the record 90 and 60 min. got me into ipas and I highly recommend 75 min and Palo Santo Marron. Actually most of their year rounds and seasonals are super solid. The hellhoud was the only thumbs-down beer i had from them. But to each his own)

siege06nd likes this.
  17. sunkistxsudafed

sunkistxsudafed Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2010 New Mexico

it sounds like this problem is being handled as best iit can be. This doesn't happen to me often but the time i recall is when i was served La Cumbre's maibock instead of their Dubbel. It was at a local bar and not at the brewery itself. I told the bartender who (knowing not knowing the difference herself) informed the manager. He then investigated and it informed me that they had run out of the dubbel and tapped the next keg they had which was their next seasonal. it was taken off my tab and i got some free food for it. I regular this bar for their tap selection, select bar staff, specials, and service. I've never been let down by them. The few mishaps and misunderstandings that have happened here have all resolved for me and most everyone i know who goes here.

sorry, i guess the G'knight and wild turkey are making me rant tonight. :rolling_eyes:

docnose likes this.
  18. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

closest thing? really? miller lite is nowhere even close to a two hearted? did you even do anything? just curious?

19. HokiesandBeer

Are you sure it was even Buffalo chicken? Maybe they were all out and gave you Albany Chicken instead?

stayclean and Raime like this.
  20. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Yup, same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with some draft Nugget Nectar. Beer tasted like Hopback to me. Told the waitress about it, had it sent back..received another glass of the same. I then figured perhaps the lines were not hooked up correctly so I emailed the GM about it. He told me he had personally hooked up the kegs and they were correct. He then told me he wasn't a regular Troegs drinker but he had tried the NN side by side with the Hopback and couldn't really tell a difference (red flag #1).. but other employees could. Now anyone (beer drinker or not) should certainly be able to tell these two beers apart. So we had come to the conclusion that he had simply received a bad batch from Troegs. After all, there was a bunch of off batches that got bottled in January. So he was going to contact the distributor to see if they could have the kegs swapped out. He had the same problem with Mad Elf he tells me. Anyway, after feeding me all this bullshit, I go there today.. and he's still severing the same bad batch of NN! *shrug* I tried. I guess I was the only person who actually knew what they were tasting so it wasn't worth the hassle to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.