1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

... I think your keg is mislabeled.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by docnose, Feb 26, 2013.

1. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Savant (405) New York Nov 20, 2008

One time at a trendy bar I ordered the Ubu Ale that was on tap. Saw the bartender scoop up a shaker full of ice and walk around the corner. Thought hmm must be making someone else's drink first.

In a few moments he came back around the other side of the bar pouring this blue concoction into a glass and proceeded to hand it to me... When I asked what the hell it was... he responded well didnt you order the "blue whale"? Which turns out is a real mixed drink... http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink1423.html

docnose likes this.
  2. These posts are really pissing me off. How many times has this happened to someone who had never had the beer they ordered, and automatically dismissed it/rated it as shitty because of someone else's mistake?

docnose likes this.
  3. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

That's the sort of thing that ends my relationship with a bar. Honest mistakes happen, but that's fraud.

docnose and Providence like this.
  4. The frustrating part is - how does the manager/beer guy not know what his beers taste like? Would you hire an unknown chef to start adding meals to your menu with even trying them first? Yeah, i dont think so.

SoggyCoasters and docnose like this.
  5. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

Haha, this is the funniest thing from this whole thread. This is not like the other ones where we are saying, "Hey, I think this beer is different from the one I ordered." You ordered a beer and got a fruity mixed drink.

"... I'm pretty sure this isn't a beer"

docnose and CloudStrife like this.
  6. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

When I was in my infancy of craft beer i was on vacation in LA. I didntreally know of Russian River and I ordered a Blind Pig. I saw the bartender go to the wrong tap, but just figured maybe the taps were wrong. Drank the beer, I liked it, turned out it wasn't Blind Pig but PTE. Had the bartender give me some Blind Pig and didn't like it. Turned out to be a great mistake, may not have ever got to try PTE if my first experience with RR was Blind Pig.

7. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Happened to me once. I pointed out to the bartender that the beer I was served had no oak or bourbon flavor, despite the menu saying it was the bourbon barrel winter warmer. Much confusion ensued, and finally the bartender tried the beer in question. His final word on the subject was "bourbon barrel aged beers don't taste like bourbon."

While it is true occasionally that a bourbon barrel aged beer has little or no discernable barrel character, I let the comment go with a perfunctory argument. The next day I ordered the same beer at a different bar and, surprise surprise, it had a nice bourbon barrel character to it. Needless to say I no longer go to the bar in question, as they treated me like an idiot for raising the issue, rather than check to see if what they said the beer was matched the keg.

docnose likes this.
  8. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Lol Lemon Pledge is better than Hellhound. at least you didn't get that awful Pearl Jam atrocity. nearly as bad as their music that beer is.

9. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

This happened to me recently. I ordered a Rahr Iron Thistle - never had it, but it was supposed to be a higher ABV Wee Heavy. What I got tasted like water. After a few complaints, they checked the lines... Turns out it was Rahr Ugly Pug, which is a black lager. They took it off my tab. I did even bother drinking the ugly pug.. Not worth the calories.

docnose likes this.
  10. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Completely different scenarios. A new recipe is, well, new.

A beer that you've had on tap before - possibly dozens of times - is not new. You've had it, you know what it tastes like. Sure, if I ran a bar, I'd want a manager (if I wasn't there myself) to take a quick sample of each new keg that goes on, but I'd mostly be doing it to make sure that the lines were clean. I wouldn't - and shouldn't - be worrying that my distributer gave me a keg that doesn't contain what it says it does.

11. I sent that shit back haha

docnose and BeerKangaroo like this.
  12. I think you are confused. My point is that if you have a product for sale, you should probably know what it actually is.. and maybe be able to tell the customer about it if they inquire. Else, you're a pretty piss-poor salesman. If the customer has a problem with your product, and you care about your company, you should probably investigate the situation and try to find a proper remedy. Course if you treat your business, and life, like a fart in the wind... well, your customers will eventually wise up to that and go spend their dollars elsewhere.

iguenard likes this.
  13. djschnabel

djschnabel Savant (255) Minnesota Jan 30, 2010

Water would have been closer...

SometimesIfart likes this.
  14. kp29

kp29 Savant (260) Arizona Feb 27, 2012

I ordered a Great Lakes Burning River once which I had never had and they gave me a Yuengling. I was with a group of people and I usually would have a Yuengling or two at this bar anyway so I just drank it.

Of course they charged me for the Burning River instead of a Yuengling!.....and I didn't say anything.....I figured there was one time they didn't charge me for a beer so we were even.

Still have never had Burning River either...

15. I ordered a Surly Bender and they brought me a Furious, and I decided to let it go. This was at the Loring Pasta Bar. I will, however, never go there again because the food was over-priced and tasted only slightly better than Chef Boyardee.

docnose likes this.
  16. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

Improperly labeled kegs happen sometimes. We had an event with a regional brewery focused around their new DIPA. We made a big fuss over it...tapped a bunch of their kegs for the event. The brewers arrived( early thank goodness) and were excited for us to pull them a pint of their new beer...except it wasn't their new beer. It was labeled as their DIPA but the liquid was Another beer.

We pulled it...tapped a back up which was correct and moved on.

docnose likes this.
  17. i manage a place that has 24 taps running to two bars. Same tap list from the same kegs that have the lines split to go to both bars. Every time a keg kicks there is still some of the previous keg's beer in the lines. I use good communication so that the bar tenders know what the beer is that was tapped and know how to tell when the new beer is being poured, but some of these instances might be from that.
    New keg tapped with the previous beer still being poured? That being said any person working at a "beer bar" should know every single beer being served, especially on tap, and know how to prperly fix any mixup: The customer gets a new glass of the Correct beer for the price of whichever was cheaper....win win!

docnose likes this.
  18. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

o_O

A tap menu at a local bar/restaurant described Founders Dirty Bastard as having Sumatra and Kona Coffee, so I told the bartender that I thought it was wrong. The manager came out and agreed. He said "Thanks, now I have to print 100 new menus!" I hope he wasn't really mad!

docnose likes this.
  19. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I had it happen once. I ordered a Black IPA and it came out a reddish gold. I told the bartender and at first she said, "Well I poured it out of that tap handle, so...". So I read her the description off the menu and she agreed that a Black IPA would mostly likely be black, and she went to ask a manager. They came back after a few minutes and told me the tap handles were mixed up. They switched them, poured me the correct beer, and that was that.

It wasn't a big deal, but I'm sure that beer had been on tap for several days. It makes me wonder how not a single bartender or patron questioned why either beer was that far off in color. Not that I expect PJ Whelihans to employ sommeliers, but come on, at least have a faint idea about what you're serving...

docnose likes this.