1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

I thought Jai Alai was my favorite IPA...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rimbimhoot, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Member

Just did a blind IPA tasting with my dad. We had CC Jai Alai, Revolution FW Dos Osos and Stone RuinTen. Last weekend I said that Jai Alai was my favorite IPA and tonight my dad and I both placed Dos Osos in first and I had Jai Alai in last because it had more of a malt backbone than I remember. Very surprised Dos Osos came in first since it has the lowest ratings on this site out of the 3. Has anyone else tried these beers? What are your thoughts?
  2. Ri0

Ri0 Member

Wait...you let your own taste override a BA score? WTF!
  3. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

No flame to the OP, but that was a good one!
    pumpkin1, Geuzedad and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  4. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Member

In hindsight RuinTen may fall behind the Jai Alai because of alcohol presence but i'm still surprised Dos Osos won.
    Geuzedad and dar482 like this.
  5. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Member

Good call, this confirms that bias comes into play for me.
    Geuzedad and Cvescalante like this.
  6. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Member

I can see the Jai Alai against Dos Osos, but why would you throw RuinTen in there at 10.8% ABV? Apples & oranges...
  7. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

There's been plenty of times when I've done side by sides and preferred one over another which was surprising. Then, again...having them on their own, I preferred the original one over the one that surprised me.

Conclusion:

Side by sides don't always mean you like one over another in the long run. For me at least. Is that weird?
    Hopsiam14, Geuzedad, Tschnab and 2 others like this.
  8. Ri0

Ri0 Member

I think your avatar has that covered.
  9. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Member

i always like the results of blind taste tests.
    Cvescalante likes this.
  10. smitherz22

smitherz22 Member

Agree. IPA side by sides especially don't work for me... They get muddled
    Hopsiam14 and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  11. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Member

There are so many great beers out there that it's difficult for me to pick a favorite. (I get asked what my favorite is all the time.) Be open to trying new beers and you will most likely discover new ones you enjoy. That's what it's all about, to me.
    Bugs318 likes this.
  12. stupac2

stupac2 Member

No, that's actually what I would expect. It's like the Pepsi challenge, in small doses people prefer the sweeter drink, but for a full pint (or whatever) they want something else. Side-by-sides and blind tastings are fun, but they're really not the be-all-end-all of taste. Hell, the setting matters a lot for how something tastes, if you're in a better mood it'll taste better, etc.

Anyway, OP, this doesn't surprise me at all, but I think Jai Alai is mediocre at best. Dos Osos was at least pretty good.
    lhteacher and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  13. jplopez21

jplopez21 Member

Eh, once you have so many of the same beer it becomes boring. Same case with me. I've had so much zombie dust, it doesn't do it anymore for me.
    feloniousmonk and YogiBeer like this.
  14. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Member

This thread is useless without some more information...

How many hours was it since they left the brewery? [​IMG]
    feloniousmonk, Roguer and Hermthegerm like this.
  15. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

I would never be able to do a blind tasting with jai alai, because I would know which one was jai alai the second I tasted it, and I already know that it's my favorite IPA I've had. Though I actually might like RuinTen better, but as a huge "triple" IPA, it can't really be compared.
    MadDogMD and RayUF07 like this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Member

As a true hop head who can't get enough I love to do side by side comparisons of different American Pale Ales, IPA, and IIPA. Funny though how I always get the same result, this...

We liive in the Garden of Eden of great hoppy pale ales, probably the best ever made, or even imagined, and what a blessing it is to have so many great ones so easily available!
    Geuzedad, Danmullens1, Theniz and 3 others like this.
  17. Bugs318

Bugs318 Member

Blind tastings are a blast, but not only do our palates evolve over time, but so to does the order they're presented in. A blind-taste winner may not be your favourite, but if compared to good beers it's probably a good beer! That is my quest... more variety of good beers.
    Rimbimhoot and dar482 like this.
  18. JimKal

JimKal Member

What the tasting really revealed was you found another IPA that you liked. I had Jai Alai on a recent trip to Florida and think it is a very nice IPA - one of many that I've enjoyed. Of course, you realize that two people sampling 3 beers could produce widely varying results. If Jai Alai was your favorite IPA before your "tasting" it should remain one you can continue to enjoy and you may find, on a different occasion, that it will taste better than the competition. Taste varies not only from person to person but from day to day.
  19. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Member

Still hoping the OP comes back and explains the age(s) of these beers involved in the taste test.

The OP lives in Illinois, and Dos Osos is from Revolution (of Chicago, IL).

Jai Alai is only distributed (mostly) in Florida. I live minutes from CCB and can find it in stores regularly within a couple weeks (sometimes a day) of the canning date.

Stone is out of Cali, but distributes all over, and certainly in Illinois.

I'm hardly an extremist when it comes to fresh IPA (my first post was made in jest). But, if you're going to compare days old Dos Osos to 5 months old Jai Alai, that you got as a bonus (or whatever) in a trade, then you're comparing apples and oranges.;)
    pumpkin1 and JackHorzempa like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

As Stugotzo eloquently stated, comparing a fresh IPA to a months old IPA is not a fair comparison.

Cheers!
  21. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

And depending on the tasting order, a absolute palate wrecker with Ruin Ten. How would you be able to taste those other 2 beers after a 11% TIPA? Confused why a TIPA would be pitted against two singles in a blind tasting but hey, to each their own and I'm sure it was a good time regardless.
  22. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Member

Dos Osos just came out within the last 2 Weeks as did RuinTen. Jai Alai was canned on June 5. RuinTen happened to be the last beer tasted. Also I realize that I will continue to buy Jai Alai because like many of you have said, taste varies from day to day and is based on many factors.

There was no strategy with picking these 3 beers. I just wanted to drink these 3 last night and thought it would be fun to do a blind tasting since I have never done one before. RuinTen was a dead giveaway due to the higher abv.

Also I don't feel my geography really came into play. As stated earlier, I was a derp and let the BA score of Dos Osos bias me to think I would obviously prefer Jai Alai.
    RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  23. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Member

You're in Illinois... where do you buy your Jai Alai that you were able to get it within 16 days?
  24. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Member

I could do a blind, deaf, and dumb taste test with Jai Alai and Ruinten and know which ones was a TIPA and which was an IPA. Next time put a Stone Espresso IRS against a PtE. You'll be shocked at which is which.

Fwiw, jai alai and Ruinten both kick ass oin their respective styles.
    velcrogrip and dar482 like this.
  25. concussed

concussed Member

Now you're just being a jerk.
    jplopez21 and Absolut like this.
  26. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Member

I just received Jai Alai in a trade, but I go down to St Pete and Tampa every spring with my family. I'll be buying a bunch next March as usual.
  27. beardown2489

beardown2489 Member

I just had Dos Osos for the first time last night and laughed when I saw Its rating.

Its like a mini double jack. I thought it was better than Union Jack.

Never had Jai, but yes, Dos Osos is amazing IYAM.
    Rimbimhoot likes this.
  28. TheFugitive

TheFugitive Member

The best hops are found on the west coast
  29. Schwantz

Schwantz Member

My hops are better than your hops. Mud wrestle to see who wins!! "barkeeper..ill have another fresh Jai Alai please"!! ;) cheers!
  30. nc41

nc41 Member

You said the Jai Alai was a little malty, was it fresh? I've only had this brew twice so two sixers might not count for much, but the first was over 8 weeks old, I drank one and gave the other 5 away, a malty mess of an IPA. The other was about a week old and it was great. Comparing IPA's things need to be as equal as you can make them.
    Rimbimhoot and Geuzedad like this.
  31. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Member

Jai Alai fresh is really good, not that much malt IMO, but every time I have had it (visiting the folks in Florida) it has been delicious with a great hop profile. In fact on tap at Cigar City it is amazing. If I lived there it would be a regular for me.
    Rimbimhoot likes this.