1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I want to clone your best

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Providence, Jun 18, 2013.

1. I am trying to find some inspiration for my next brew, so bare with me....

With all the experienced home brewers on this forum I just know there are tons of great recipes kicking around out there.

So, what recipe did you come up with on your own that came out great? Are you even willing to share it?! Ha! I'd love to know it, as I'd love to try it!

Again, I am not looking for clone recipes of commercial beers. I want recipes for your own "house brew." Something you cobbled together that came out great!

Thanks in advance!
  2. coffygrinder

coffygrinder Savant (255) Illinois Nov 18, 2010

I got a good citra hop wheat
  3. Hilarious. As I was typing up my OP I was thinking to myself, "I wonder what a slightly hoppy wheat would be like?"

I'd love to see it if you're willing to share.
  4. coffygrinder

coffygrinder Savant (255) Illinois Nov 18, 2010

let me take a look when I get home
    Providence likes this.
  5. Not sure if you can do lagers (or if you liked smoked beers) but this Smoked Red Rye Lager turned out really good:

5.5 gallon batch:
    2 lbs Briess 2-Row
    8 lbs Weyermann's Smoked Malt
    3 lbs Rye Malt
    0.25 lbs Weyermann's Carafa II
    0.3 oz Columbus - 60 min
    WLP830 German Lager Yeast
    Single infusion mash around 154 for 60 min
    Ferment around 50*F for 10 days, diacetyl rest, then lager <40*F about 2-3 weeks.

Can't remember what o.g. ended up being...thinking around 1.06something.
    Providence likes this.
  6. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

Milk Stout;

73% Maris Otter
    3% English Black Malt
    7% English Chocolate Malt
    7% Lactose (added 30 min boil)
    10% Flaked Oats

Mash at 154 F for 60 min

1 oz Target hops @ 60 min

Yeast nutrient and Irish moss to your desire

Fermented at 62 F using WY1028 London Ale.

I've brewed this both in regular & imperial versions (5.4% and 7.8% respectively)
    Providence likes this.
  7. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (305) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

pretty much anything Tonsmeire, but I think I would like to do something akin to his Cab Lambic project:
    http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/03/cabernet-grape-lambic-tasting.html
    Ryane was always a good read for ideas:
    http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com
    There have been other folks on here that have blog spots which are great reads as well, but these are the only two i have bookmarked...
    I think my best cobbled together kitchen sink winner was a hoppy red ale with lots columbus, chinook and maybe amarillo or centennial(?). It was cobbled together with leftovers from a Malt of the Month club I signed up for through Valley Malt. It had rye, light crystal, wheat, honey malt and a touch of roasted barley for color. Unfortunately don't have a recipe though because it was a throw whatever is leftover in the grain bags on in the mash tun...I had that and my heady topper clone on tap at one point and I couldn't decide which I enjoyed more.
    OldSock and Providence like this.
  8. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

50% wheat malt
    40% pils
    8% Munich
    2% Melanoiden
    to 1.055 OG

NZ Hallertau at 60, 5, 0 mins to 30ish IBUs

Pitch 3068 @ 62, then at 1.020 pitch 3711 and free rise to 66 until finished. It's not a Hefe but its not a saison. But it is good.
    Providence likes this.
  9. 47% 2 Row
    47% Wheat
    6% Munich 20L

Galena (or other non harsh bittering hop) to bitter to about 40 ibu @ 60 mins
    1.25 oz each Amarillo and Centennial in the whirlpool
    .75 oz each Amarillo and Centennial dry hop
    1 oz Citra in the same dry hop
    Providence likes this.
  10. That sounds great, gonna try this if I can find Amarillo.
  11. I really enjoy it. I use the same grain bill and switch up the hops a lot. This happened to be my best combo to date

I forgot to add that my preferred yeast to use with this is Wyeast 1318 - London III
    OG about 1.055
    FG about 1.011
    Ferment at about 65F ambient temp
  12. I can't do lagers, but this looks great!
  13. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (730) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

For the sake of the OP (or anyone who might want to brew this), what's your assumed mash efficiency (and OG)? The grains are subject to the mash efficiency, but the lactose is not, so this could be a very different beer, depending.
    hoptualBrew likes this.
  14. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

My last one was the imperial version with an 84% mash efficiency. If I remember right, my lactose addition added about 7 gravity points & my efficiency was calculated long hand discounting the lactose addition.
  15. My basic house IPA recipe - for 5.5 gal.

83% English Pale
    15% Carapils
    2% 40L crystal

Mash @ 152F

FWH 2-3 ozs of whatever american citrusy hop you like/can get - citra, amarillo, simcoe, centennial, etc. and blends work well
    60min - 1 oz. CTZ/Nugget or whatever high alpha hop you can get
    15min - 2 oz of whatever american citrusy hop you like/can get
    When wort reaches 190F after knockout - 2-4 ozs of whatever american citrusy hop you can get

OG - 1.058 - 1.060

IBU's might calculate at 100+ depending on how you calculate bitterness from FWH.

Ferment with 1.5 packs US-05 at 66F (or make a starter from wlp001or wy1056) after aeration/oxygenation.
    Should finish around 1.010 - 1.012 for a little over 6% abv

Dry hop with 3-4 oz of whatever american citrusy hop you like/can get for 5-7 days, remove hops, dry hop again with 2 ozs until it reaches peak flavor (usually 3-4 days depending on variety) - I do all my dryhopping in the keg so I can determine when peak flavor is - 1st round gets pulled out of the keg, 2nd round stays in until its kicked (which isn't anymore than a week or two usually).
    Providence likes this.
  16. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

My favorite homebrew I have made so far was

10lbs 2-row
    2lbs Wheat
    0.5lbs Crystal 60
    0.5lbs Melanoidin

1oz of Citra for each addition

FWH
    15 min
    5 min
    0 min

2oz dryhop 11 days (didn't get a chance to pull it earlier.

Wyeast 1968 ESB

It came out really good sort of a wheat/ESB/IPA kinda beer. Also, citra covers over a multitude of sins.
    Providence likes this.
  17. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

seconded.

He is also working on a hoppy-wheat for Modern Times:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/11/hoppy-wheat-with-march-pump-hoprocket.html

Which might answer your question:

Providence likes this.
  18. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (545) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

A Citra Pale Ale.. Oh so good and welcomed addition in the summer.

88% Pale 2 Row
    6% Flaked Wheat
    4% C-40
    2% C-20

.50 oz Citra FWH
    .50 oz Citra @ 15
    .50 oz Citra @ 10
    .50 oz Citra @ 5
    1.50 oz Citra @ Flameout, Hopstand for 30 min.

US 05, 1056, even US 04 is good.

2.00 Citra Dryhop for 10 days at 60*.

Mash it at 152*. OG is 1.058, FG 1.012 or so...

Or if you like a Porter, this is a great base porter. I like to add a vanilla bean or 2 to secondary/primary even.

67.6% Maris Otter
    11.3% Flaked Oats
    5.6% C-80
    5.2% Chocolate Malt
    3.8% Pale Chocolate Malt
    2.8% Black Patent Malt

.75 ounce Northern Brewer @ 60
    1 ounce Willamette @ 20

Add 3-4 ounces of Dutched Cocoa Powder @ 10 min.

Mash @ 152-152*.

1.061 OG- 1.015-1.018 FG

Ferment out, add a soaked and split fresh vanilla bean, or two. I like using two.. Age it for a week or two until you like the flavor of the vanilla.

Hit it with some Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

Beer is fucking ballin' good.

Add a pound of a PB2 at flame out, if you want a Reese PB Cup type of porter.
    Providence likes this.
  19. My best is called Ardennes pale ale

for 6 gallons

14 lbs pilsen malt
    1.5 lbs table sugar
    .75 oz columbus 60 min
    .33 oz columbus 20 min
    1.5 saaz 7 min
    1 oz centennial 1 min

Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Love this beer........
  20. Cloudberry lambic

Start with a 60/40 malt/wheat base, add cultured yeast from a 2 yr old girardins lambic. Leave in primary for about 9 months then rack on cloudberries for 4 months, bottle/keg and serve.
  21. That porter sounds excellent!
  22. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (375) Florida Oct 19, 2012

It's fair to say the APA IPA recipe was "cobbled together".
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...rfect-american-ipa-project-the-recipes.74647/

If you are not familiar, this was a Vikeman project where the BA members voted on each step of the recipe. There was more than a little doubt of what to expect, but the results bordered on magnificent. I served a bottle at my local homebrewers meeting and was threatened with expulsion unless I brought more. If you like IPAs, you really should give it a try. Here's how others did:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-how-my-apa-ipa-turned-out-thread.82365/#post-1191262
    VikeMan and Providence like this.
  23. Great stuff everyone!

Damn, if I had hit that Powerball I'd open up a brewery, fly all of you to Rhode Island, and hire you on as my brewmaster's.
  24. Where does one get cloudberries? How much did you use?
  25. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

One of my first recipes ever, it remains a house favorite.
    10 gallons, all grain
    20 pounds 2 row pale malt, toast 2 pounds at 350F for 20 minutes
    1 pound Carapils
    mash at 152
    Hops: 2 oz Perle or 3 ozs Hallertau for 60 minutes
    2 oz Hallertau at 20 minutes and flameout
    I have used 3 different yeasts with this recipe, depending on the season: Nottingham dry, White Labs Kolsch or White Labs 830
    Providence likes this.
  26. Awesome! How did it come out with the Nottingham?
  27. After a long hard search I found them in Newfoundland. They came in 16 oz mason jars and I used 3 jars for 2 gallons. Just waiting for carbonation in the bottles, but so far taste great.
  28. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

That's my summer/fall version of it, nice and dry finish when I ferment it around 60-62F. But I really like Nottingham, otherwise I would try it with Safale-04.
    Providence likes this.