Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine?

Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Subscribe now →

I would like to thank the following breweries:

Discussion in 'New England' started by Flashy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (665) Vermont Oct 22, 2003 Verified

1 Jacks Abby for bringing a type of beer neglected in the US at a fair price.
    2 Stone for bringing great beer to parts of the US that would never see such a thing- if it wasn't for them.
    3 Troegs for two of my favorite beers, Nugget Nectar and Mad Elf.
    4 Sierra Nevada for being one of the first. And selling great ales at a great price- Torpedo is Vermont crack, cheap and very good.
    5 The Alchemist for giving us something to hope for.
    Providence likes this.
  2. emannths

emannths Savant (445) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

They're not flashy, Sam Adams makes quality lagers at fair prices, fwiw. JA seems best known for brewing ale styles with lager yeast, IMO. Not a bad thing--the beers are excellent--but not quite as unique in the US craft beer landscape as an "all-lager brewery" might suggest.
    skivtjerry likes this.
  3. Flashy

and of course Sam Adams for being a pioneer, bringing very good ales and lagers to a national audience and sometimes pushing the envelop. Also for it's support of the American craft brew industry.
    Alright, six, but I am not adding another one.
  4. deanhead

deanhead Advocate (500) Vermont Sep 2, 2005

What? No props to Dick Yuengling and family?
    Jwale73 likes this.
  5. Flashy

And Yuengling and Ballentine for carrying the flag during the dark years. That's it.
  6. emannths

No love for Jack McAuliffe?
  7. A New England thank you thread that doesn't mention Hill Farmstead? For shame! ;)
  8. And to Mayflower for brewing the best Porter no one knows about.
    konabrewer and Rochefort10nh like this.
  9. I'll add a couple random thanks...

I'd like to thank Jim Koch for providing a great beer I can fall back on in almost every bar/restaurant in 'merica.

And I'd like to thank Berkshire Brewing for making one of the tastiest domestically made pilsners I've ever had and can easily hoard without any competition.
  10. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I wouldn't necessarily say without ANY competition...luckily we just have different turfs :cool:
  11. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (455) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009 Verified

...and to Fritz Maytag! PROST!
    Flashy likes this.
  12. And its fine, unsung IPA.

And its nicely rounded, caramelly Pale Ale.

And its earthy Spring Hop Ale, which should be appearing pretty soon.
    Flashy and Providence like this.
  13. Here I am quoting myself to say, You're right, you clever man, for the Mayflower website tells us:

2012 Spring Hop Ale Ships This Week

Feb 11
    We know it doesn’t feel like spring in New England yet, but this week we are releasing the 2013 vintage of Mayflower Spring Hop Ale. The aroma hop profile is back to the orginal blend of Cascade, Centennial, Citra and Sorachi we used in 2011. Hope you enjoy it and that spring arrives quickly. Cheers!
  14. emannths

As the Bros would say: Hell Yeah!
    Flashy, tehzachatak and jbertsch like this.
  15. Flashy

The brothers and Fitz Maytag FOR SURE!
  16. Flashy

I will have to check that out when I find it. Love Smuttynose Porter- great on tap.
    Providence likes this.
  17. Flashy

At this point I wouldn't compare Jacks Abby- with it's fine array of fresh, varied lagers- with any other brewer I've had in the US. That's why beer is so good in Germany (IMHO) and Austria- and what made me fall in love with beer in the first place.
    meadnbrew likes this.
  18. jamvt

jamvt Advocate (590) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005 Verified

I'd like to thank Harpoon for brewing an IPA that has stood the test of time for 20 years now and popularizing what is now the go to style. Wonder if folks had the same reaction to it 20 years ago that people have to today's Heady Toppers and Hill Farmsteads.
  19. I'd like to thanks Sam Adams, the first craft beer I could buy in MA. In high school, I had a great 3 week beer experience in Germany. When I got back, the only thing that was remotely close was Tuborg Gold and Lowenbrau Dark. You have to be old to remember this "stuff" passing for beer. Those under 30 don't know how good you have it. And thank Jimmy Carter for making homebrew legal, thus starting the craft beer revolution.
  20. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I think this should be the new motto for Beeradvocate
  21. I second the gratitude for Harpoon, for putting an IPA in every bar and restaurant and function hall in the area.
  22. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (490) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Exactly how I feel about JA. They make good beer, but there's nothing exceptionally "lager-like" about their beers other than maybe Jabby Brau or Smoke & Dagger (if you're generous). If you're heavily hopping and dry-hopping lagers (with the exception of a hoppy Pils or Kellerbier), then you most likely are covering up everything about them that makes them great: balance, clean fermentation profile, and malt-forwardness. Not to mention that extended lagering periods basically negate the whole idea of dry-hopping, which is to extract intense hop aroma and flavor for a week or two and then package the beer quickly and get it to market. Hop aroma is going downhill fast while those JA beers are sitting in conditioning tanks for months, which they have to do in order for the slow-acting yeast to clean up the beer and hazes and proteins to drop out.
    Pegli likes this.
  23. Geary's Special Hampshire for paving the road for New England winter ales.
  24. celfan

celfan Advocate (590) Vermont Jul 4, 2004 Verified

Ok, so we're not sticking to just New England. A big thanks to Founders, Bells and Great Lakes for sticking to reasonably priced six packs and not gauging us with overpriced bombers.
    Flashy likes this.
  25. celfan

celfan Advocate (590) Vermont Jul 4, 2004 Verified

And for this you should thank William Newman of the Newman Brewery in Albany - the first microbrewery in the East. I visited the little shack a few times since my parents lived in the area.

It was the first microbrewery east of Colorado, apparently. Among those working there?
    Jim Koch, who would later go on to found the little-known Samuel Adams in Boston. Of Newman, Jim notes:
    These little microbreweries were starting up and that really got my interest. I actually worked in Bill Newman's brewery in Albany. He was the first guy who started a microbrewery east of Boulder. I came away thinking, OK, the idea is right. I knew that it was possible to make world-class beer here in the United States.

Additionally, Newman Brewing apparently anticipated the trend of serving beer in growlers. In the early 1980s, according to thisBeerAdvocate.com article"

Newman Brewing in Albany, NY used to sell soft plastic gallon containers of their beer. Apparently if you brought the empty back to the brewery, they'd replenish it with more beer." Growlers didn't make the scene until 1989.

Flashy likes this.
  26. benbking

benbking Savant (390) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009 Verified

I don't know what we're thanking about!