1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If color doesnt make a difference in flavor, why do I prefer dark?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Blakebcg, Jan 27, 2013.

1. I'm new to the craft beer world. One thing I've noticed is I LOVE stouts. So far I've never had a stout I didn't adore. I also have noticed A lot of paler, lighter beers, I dislike, or I dont like as much as darker beers.

I've read time and time again color has nothing to do with flavor, but if that's the case, why do I prefer beers that happen to be darker?
  2. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Color does have something to do with flavor. The common misconception is that dark beers are always stronger, which is not true at all.
  3. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

Yeah, color is indicative of the malt(s), which is/are the base flavor for a beer, so its a HUGE ;) (see the bigger font I used, lol) difference-maker; and as afrokaze said, the only misconception I encounter (among the uninitiated) is that darker = stronger.

You're gonna find that many general categories of beer types that are based on malt and color - ambers, blondes, darks, and the as-you-said incredibly delicious stouts.

I started with stouts, too - lovin' them - since they were the most radical departure from the crap lagers like Bud - but as I've been drinking, I've kinda come back around to the palers ales (not lagers so much), and I think I am honestly (whaaat?) a little partial to the pale ales these days - but nothing closes the day better than a porter/stout.

Yo, good drinking to you, bro! Cheers!
  4. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Obligatory "once you go black..."
  5. antilite

antilite Aficionado (155) Florida Jan 1, 2012

One word: Roasted
    Providence likes this.
  6. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

Like those above me have said, color is almost indicative of flavor. Almost. Most of the time to achieve that dark color roasted malt, chocolate malt, etc is used in the brewing process to make it dark and as a byproduct (or intention) they impart those roasted flavors to the beer. So it's not that you like the color it's that you like that extra roasted dimension. The easy way you can test this is to try a cda (cascadian dark ale) which can be very similar to an IPA but is normally jet black or very dark, without having that roasted flavor just the color. Stone makes an excellent example of this style in my opinion.
  7. I guess my question would be what are you reading? Yes, there are beers that are dark and taste like their light bretheren. They are not Craft though... Becks and Becks Dark, and other such beers basically made with concentrated liquid roasted barley(that bitterness has been removed)
  8. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Well it's not like that darker color comes from food coloring lol. It's an indication of the type of malt that was used, but it doesn't always mean higher ABV. For example, Guinness is around the same ABV as Miller Lite even though it's a darker beer.
  9. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

As soon as you add any color to the grainbill it becomes dark for real! If you only like the darker beers, your not in the minority cause some of the most delicious beers are dark. stouts and porters are some of the most common styles which are black and are seriously delicious and complex.
  10. if you haven't already try some Belgians. Belgians are my black heheh! They made me see divinity!
  11. I don't know what you're reading, but I wouldn't read it as a beer info source anymore. That is 180 degrees from being correct.
  12. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Color definitely has something to do with flavor. As others have said, dark doesn't necessarily equal strong or heavy or high calories or anything else. Just like pale colored beer isn't necessarily boring, light, and mild. A dark beer just means that it was a beer brewed with dark malt. How does malt get dark? The grain is roasted (or smoked, or whatever else). The roasted grain has a different flavor, the coffee, chocolate, roasty, smokey, etc flavors.