1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If craft beer simply is not available, do you...?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Jan 31, 2013.

?

If you're in a situation where there is no craft beer to be found, what are you most likely to do?

1. Drink water. Nothing else is worth the buzz, calories, or money

64 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Enjoy another beverage. Wine, cocktail, shots, etc

123 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Give in and have a BMC-type (if that is what's available)

45 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. All of the above, depending on the situation

98 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. Other

16 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Social drinking; in order of preference:
    Craft Beer
    Rum
    Tequila
    Campari
    Gin
    Iced Tea
    Water
  2. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Other: Rethink my past-life choices because I'm obviously in hell
    MammaGoose and creepinjeeper like this.
  3. I'm always down for a old fashioned or G&T
  4. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

I usually go with water but depending on what I'm eating maybe a Blue Moon or Heineken.
  5. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

It's a toss up. Sometimes I'll go with water, other times I'll go for the Leinies/Sam Adams/Blue Moon seasonal if I have to. The only time I'll touch a Bud (or something equivalent) is at a sporting event or strip club, where I feel drinking is pretty much mandatory. Fortunately the professional stadiums in Detroit (and a lot of places around here, it seems) are starting to expand their beer offerings to microbrews.
  6. If im out at a bar late and dont find craft there (like if theres nothing interesting on at the Whiskey in Durham), in this order:
    1) ask the bartender to chill the entire bottle of Sambuca Black or White, and pour over ice with a splash of water
    2) Galliano on the rocks
    3) Tangueray/Bombay Sapphire and Tonic
    4) Woodford or Jefferson's Rye neat
    5) Vanilla Coke
  7. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

8. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (385) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

9. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Usually I will only have water. If I feel like spending money with a decent meal then I will drink some wine.
  10. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

Bourbon. But I'm kind of picky about that, too, with Makers Mark about the lowest I will go on quality bourbons. If they only have whiskey, I'll usually go with a cabernet, if available and fitting for the meal. Otherwise, water.
  11. I love Beer!
  12. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (295) New York Dec 23, 2010

Pabst or Wild Turkey 101 will do just fine.
  13. Bourbon straight or a Hendricks and Tonic.
    teal likes this.
  14. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Had some spicy crawfish the other night and washed them down with Coors Light.
    My first twist off cap in a long, long, long long long long time!

Hit the spot!

Note: it was that or sorry ass Budweiser!
  15. Wine or gin straight.
  16. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (270) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

This always seems to be an issue on almost all the public golf courses around here and most of the private ones. I usually give in and go Bud, or even Bud Select. Sometimes they got Hienie but they are almost always skunked. Occasional Dos Equis, I'm good if they got that.

Vodka Lemonade fills in well at the private courses (publics usually don't have liquor).
  17. It would depend on if I have to pay for it, or if it's free at a party.
    If I have to pay, i would go with nothing.
    If it's free I would imbibe something else.

Oh and don't get me started on golf courses I would rather die than drink at a golf course.
    Reinbeck11 likes this.
  18. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (270) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

If you play golf like me you have to drink to forget your score. Course double digit numbers are beyond my education, so double par is max score. Thats why I usually only buy 4's and 6ers.
  19. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

You seem like a white russian type of dude...
    Dtapeski likes this.
  20. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Initially thought about writing that, but it felt so wrong.
  21. Bourbon on the stones.

If I want something sweet, Jack Daniels with a quick shot of ginger ale.

Or, if the bar/restaurant has some interesting cocktails, I may go that direction.
  22. mwar

mwar Savant (340) Kentucky Jun 15, 2012

No problem drinking BMC. I Enjoy craft beer as much as the next guy, but can have a good time drinking BMC as well. Cowboy up sissy boys!
    pharmer and MammaGoose like this.
  23. Well if I am going somewhere that doesnt have craft beer and my intention is to have a drink then its probably because they have specials for $1 Buds or 1/2 price mixed drinks or something, and Im fine with those if it means I get drunk for under $10. Guess Ill go with it depends on the situation.
    pharmer and mwar like this.
  24. In the case of this concert venue where i know its all overpriced bmc. prefunk on good stuff and have like one shitty beer the entire night to tide over and focus on the music!
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  25. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

Before beer, I was a single-malt Scotch guy - so that'd be my go-to drink.

I also really enjoy anejo tequila (neat, of course ;)), and gin - ah, yes, gin - in a martini or straight, ice cold gin is oh-so good...
  26. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I invested in a case of these babies for the golf bag. Nice stubby size tucks inside and can be consumed inconspicuously. Otherwise....I intentional shank one into the woods and pop one down unseen. Fore!

[​IMG]
    Rohkey and devlishdamsel like this.
  27. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Scotch, cognac, brandy, mixed cocktails, macro beers ill drink it all.
    pharmer likes this.
  28. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

Politely ask for water honestly
  29. bourbonnnnnnnnnnnn. or g&t's if they have nice gin.
  30. Bourbon and Sierra Mist.
  31. I really don't drink other kinds of alcohol, so I would probably get a soda or iced tea.
  32. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Aficionado (225) New York Oct 14, 2012

Jamos, Gin and Tonics or BMC, no problem with any of it. Have to be cost effective
  33. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

eh, since Dos XX isn't considered a craft beer... i'll typically just have one of those if i'm at a place with a limited beer selection.
  34. Jack with 1 rock
  35. 12tb

12tb Zealot (95) Iowa May 18, 2011

I love "craft" bourbon almost as much as craft beer. If they can make a good old fashioned, I'll order that over an OK craft beer.
  36. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (295) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Hard liquor, and the best of all possible worlds would be vodka and a craft brewed root beer-draft or bottled. I look to White/Black Russians next, and if neither of those are forthcoming I will rarely remain in that place. A few times the bartender brought me something with lemon or apple that rocked my night, some Old Fashioneds kept me seated, but that is rare mostly because I bailed not wanting to stick around to see what I might be subjected to next - Karaoke? Oh the Humanity!
  37. Nice, Ive snuck duvel into bars before ;). Haven't done it lately tho!
    Brunite likes this.
  38. That's what i do too. I realy enjoy wine but just can't see myself drinking it at a bar.
  39. I'll drink whatever beer they have but I sure will bitch about it.
  40. all of the above.

if i'm feeling like enjoying a particular style or brew and it isn't available, i'll usually just get water or tea. If i'm at a cookout and it's hot out I'll enjoy a corona or some dos equis. Similarly, if i'm at a small dive bar with 4 taps, the best of which is Amber Bock... I'll probably just get whatever the bartender and i can think up, or a shot of whiskey.