1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If craft beer simply is not available, do you...?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Jan 31, 2013.

?

If you're in a situation where there is no craft beer to be found, what are you most likely to do?

1. Drink water. Nothing else is worth the buzz, calories, or money

64 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Enjoy another beverage. Wine, cocktail, shots, etc

123 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Give in and have a BMC-type (if that is what's available)

45 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. All of the above, depending on the situation

98 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. Other

16 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. galvetraz

galvetraz Aficionado (115) Texas Sep 7, 2009

The situation usually dictates for me. Most of the time it's just water for me, I don't necessarily want to spend money and calories on a BMC beer just for the sake of drinking a beer. Yea I know that may be a little snobby but its just my preference. Otherwise if I feel like it, good bourbon or vodka hits the spot.
    audioserf likes this.
  2. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I've answered this in a few other threads. I just had a Dos Equis with my spicy burrito last night. I can drink pretty much anything, would I prefer some world class brew? Sure. Can I still enjoy a macro every once in a while under the right circumstances? Absolutely.
    StubFaceJoe and Icarus like this.
  4. Sometimes I'll take a BMC over some of the "craft" options.
  5. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Well I'd have to say that I would go with water or soda.I cant poison this temple with anything else,lol....CHEERS
  6. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I voted all of the above, as I have done them all. It's really rare to end up in this situation anymore outside of the occasional wedding or cookout.
  7. Guinness. Or depending on the place, Hoegaarden.
  8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Yep. Some people here sound like a real blast to hang out with.
  9. I can't remember the last time I let myself go into a place that doesn't have craft beer.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Some of you guys must be lucky if all your sporting venues and concerts serve craft. I'm jelly.
  11. Up here at the very least, they have Sam seasonals. The major venues have an expanding assortment. Even the smaller clubs have caught up around here with most having Sierra or the like at a minimum.
  12. If there's no decent beer, this is the order of likelihood of my choice of action:
    1) Margarita on the rocks
    2) Rum and coke
    3) Jack and coke
    4) Glass of wine (all tastes the same to me)
    5) Water
    6) Baby formula
    7) Warm piss
    8) BMC
  13. nolabrew

nolabrew Aficionado (160) Louisiana Apr 20, 2010

Ever try a sazerac?
  14. nolabrew

nolabrew Aficionado (160) Louisiana Apr 20, 2010

I hate BMC and I always have. There is only one circumstance where I will drink it and that is a crawfish boil. I can't explain why, but for some reason BMC goes perfectly with crawfish. Maybe because your lips are numb and your nose stops working from all the cayenne pepper.
  15. I'm happy to fall back on wine if I'm at a decent restaurant because I enjoy wine very much.

If I'm at, say, a ballpark with nothing but BMC available, then I drink soda. Never understood the "well I'm at a ballgame, I HAVE to drink a beer to enjoy myself" mindset.

Generally BMC is never a consideration. And when I say BMC, I mean bud, miller, coors. I'm happy to enjoy a Franziskaner or something like that.

Actually, an occasional PBR isn't out of the realm of the possibility - that's generally my one macro-tasting exception. But it's rare that I have it.
  16. I'm in a similar situation, but with Sauvignon Blanc. I like the grapefruit-ish flavors. I pretend it's an IPA.
  17. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

My hierarchy:
    Craft>Import>booze>wine>Pepsi>Coke>Water>BMC
  18. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

1) Do they have decent bourbon or Scotch? If yes -> Drink whisk(e)y.

If no, do they have Maker's Mark? If yes -> Manhattan

If no -> Is the wine super damn pricey? If no -> wine

If yes -> Water's fine, thanks.
    pschul4 likes this.
  19. I've never really had this problem. If I go out to a bar you better believe its gonna be a bar with options. If its a restaurant or something eith no craft options I'll just get water. Soda isn't with the money or calories and wine to me is too expensive at most restaurants. I don't go to many sporting events so now worries there. I go to concerts fairly often and a few of the venues around here have full bars with decent options. Only one venue I can think of that has no taps, only $4 bottles (which is a fucking rip off if you ask me). When there, I'll either suck it up and shell out $4 for a Lag IPA or Black Butte, get a PBR tall boy, a shot with the boys, or just water. However the one venue in question has reentry and has a bar with great options less than a block away. So during a band I don't care to see I'll just walk my ass down the street!
  20. Wow, I can't f****** type.
  21. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Yes, right after Christmas we went to a dinner theatre show and had a saturday evening special. Absinthe, Templeton rye, bitters and Sazerac.

Cheers!
  22. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Dude, you need to move.
  23. StubFaceJoe

I can't understand all the posts where BMC isn't an option, but Pepsi and Coke are. Aren't they kinda like the same thing? Also, for those seriously concerned with their palette, why consume things with such harsh effects on taste perception?

I'd personally rather drink BMC than Coke or Pepsi any day.
    MammaGoose likes this.
  24. Water or diet soda. However, I can't remember the last time I went out anywhere that I couldn't at least order a Boston Lager.
  25. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

More often than not I'll just have water or soda. Occasionally, depending on where I am, I'll have a mixed drink, but I feel like they are a rip off 90% of the time so I only do it at places that I know make them good and strong.
  26. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

Guinness every time! If the ONLY thing available is Bud, Miller, Coors, etc, I usually won't drink at all. Rarely do I attend events where that is the case.
  27. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Yeah, Pepsi and Coke are like BMC if you drink the craft sodas and whatnot. Otherwise, they're soda. BMC is corn water. Thats gross.
  28. StubFaceJoe

Pepsi and Coke are also derived from corn.

They're also gigantic companies that sell products that are bad for you through excessive marketing.

Stepping down from soap box early.
  29. Depends. If it is free like an open bar function or wedding reception etc, i'll go the wine or liquor route. If i'm at a bar with a horrible selection and i'm paying, then looks like i'm going to be slummin it with some Natty Boh for that evening, or at least until i can convince everybody else to leave and go someplace with a better selection.
  30. dkolp

dkolp Aspirant (45) Indiana Jan 23, 2013

I will drink water and grab a beer from my personal stash when I get home
  31. Easy: "(Johnny Walker) Black Label on the rocks please." My first drinking love is also my go to when decent beer is not available or I want something else. I'll pass over Sam Adams and Harpoon main releases for this as well, since they are widely available in my area (Boston) and generally don't appeal to me either.
  32. Wine or mixed drink, preferably a Gimlet.
  33. buschbeer

buschbeer Advocate (550) Ohio Feb 7, 2009

BMC
    [​IMG]
    THEcorky likes this.
  34. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Pabst or Yuengling since those are available at pretty much every bar in philly, especially the ones lacking craft. An old fashioned wouldn't be bad either.
  35. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

Never BMC. Depending on the price and selection, sometimes other booze. If that is equally underwhelming, then water.
  36. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

You need to add a shot of Pyrat XO Reserve rum to that coke or pepsi. Then vote again. Cheers!
  37. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

Cry myself to sleep