If you could visit any three breweries in the world...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HuskyinPDX, Jan 31, 2013.

1. king75

king75 Savant (455) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

1.) Short's- They make such a wide assortment of beers and make some really interesting beers. I've been there once before and am going again at the end of this month and can't wait. Plus the food is great. Even my wife is looking forward to the return trip.
    2.) Founders- They always have an epic taplist and every beer I have had from them has exceeded my expectations.
    3.)Dark Horse- BA Plead the 5th blew my mind and there booth and selection at the Michigan Beer Festival last year was awesome.

Hads: Shorts, Frankenmuth Brewery, Pennsylvania Brewing Company, North Peak, Mackinaw Brewing Company
    Visiting this month: Cigar City Brewing and Sweetwater

2. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

1. Hill Farmstead
    2. Cigar City (can cross this off after March)
    3. Cantillon

3. Black Sheep, in Yorkshire (It'd be my third time there)
    Westvleteren, Belgium
    Fuller's, London

(very) honorable mentions: Jolly Pumpkin, Goose Island, St. Bernardus

4. Cantillon
    Jester King
    The Rare barrel (once they open up)

5. Andechs
    Cantillon
    Russian River

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  6. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Cantillon
    Funky Budha
    Hill Farmstead

7. Cantillon
    Russian River
    Weihenstephaner

8. yes! ive been to alchemist twice. nothing too special but the beer :) I want to make the trip to HF but I heard the drive is a little crazy. do you suggest a 4x4 or should I wait till winter is over?

Went to Hill today, it was so beautiful up there. What a long ride past the end of New Hampshire and into the northern VT kingdom. The guys are really nice and we filled many growlers of Double Galaxy(some to trade), a few Abner and Susan also. I really would like to swill Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught at Three Floyd's, Plinys(young and old) at Russian River and all the great IPA/DIPAs at Alpine Beer Company. Have been to alchemist tons of times so its not on the list.

9. awlcordell

awlcordell Disciple (65) Ohio Jan 19, 2013

1. Cantillon
    2. Russian River
    3. Hill Farmstead

10. Of the ones I've never been to.
    3. Three Floyds
    2. Cantillon
    1. Hill Farmstead

The one I'd most want to revisit: Alpine

11. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

1. Dogfish Head . DFH got me into craft so I've got to see what created this monster.

2. Alpine. I want to drink the water because apparently something is responsible for everything from them being ridiculous.

3. Cigar City. I've had probably 45 beers from them and have loved almost all of them. The thing is, I hate Tampa for the Buccaneers. Cam Newton jersey required.

12. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

One in Hawaii
    One in Spain
    One in the Bahamas

I can bring good beer - I want the nice weather!

13. I was going to tally all of these since I started the thread, but I got inpatient. There seems to see some obvious leaders:
    Cantillon (By a lot)
    Russian River (Strong #2)
    Hilll Farmstead (Third, but a big gap between the top 2 and all the rest)
    Founders
    Westy

In that order.

14. 1. founders
    2. bells
    3. three floyds.

looking at making this bucket list (well, at least 2 of the 3) a reality at the end of March when KBS is released.

16. been to Peg's?

17. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

1. Cantillon

2. Russian River

3. Westvleteren

Number 2 will be a reality in June. Heading that way for a mini vacation. Four days of beer utopia...

A close 4th is Alpine. Had their beer last year, gonna head over in March to see and experience a real local Craft Brewery and (hopefully) meet a brother Firefighter who owns it.

Some of the other suggestions like DFH, Stone, Founders, Cigar City (Humidor Series is amazing) and Bells are all noteworthy trips having been there done that. (Not bragging just stating) I especially liked the pub at DFH. Wonderful people, great beers and really good food made for a very enjoyable day.

18. Marty91

Marty91 Savant (265) Pennsylvania Feb 27, 2012

Founders, Russian River, and Pilsner Urquel. Been to Troegs, Yards, and Victory but Phillys own Dock Street Brewery is my favorite

19. Rodenbach - Would love to see all those foeders.
    Firestone Walker - Have been obsessed with their union system lately.
    Allagash - Specifically their coolship house.

20. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Zealot (95) Wisconsin Jan 22, 2013

Just finished reading Michael Jackson's "Great Beers of Belgium", and I have to say it has inspired me to want to go visit some of these small Belgian breweries and experience their unique charm. If I had to choose three, it would probably go:
    -De Dolle
    -Fantome
    -Cantillon
    But it's sooo hard to choose just three!

21. 1. Stone
    2. Founders
    3. Sierra Nevada

22. Mitchster

Mitchster Advocate (585) Michigan Dec 25, 2002

Cantillion
    De Dolle
    Fantome

23. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

caladonian
    ommegang
    ?...... well there is 2 to start with............... sorry.....................

24. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Alpine
    Russian River
    Three Floyds

25. Tut

Tut Savant (425) New York Sep 23, 2004

You're pretty new here to be throwing that term at others, aren't you?

26. 1 St. Sixtus (westvleteren)

2. Hill farmstead

3. The old Tadcaster brewery

27. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Russian River
    Hill Farmstead
    St. Sixtus

28. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Yeah ppl don't realize that Kona is as good a brewery as it is since so much of their good stuff doesn't get bottled. The bar is pretty nice and the Big Island totally rules. They make at least 5 really really good beers that are brewery only.....but they do growlers so you can drive around the island and drink that awesome stuff on those beaches or in front of water falls in the jungle or on your patio or..........wait what was this thread about....?

Willbfun likes this.
  29. Shakory

Shakory Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 10, 2013

cantillon
    Russian River
    founders

30. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Cantillon
    Fantome
    Fullers

31. adam42381

adam42381 Advocate (555) Florida Oct 10, 2005

Yes, and it's excellent.

32. Cantillon, hill farmstead, and three floyds!

I love three floyds artwork!

33. blackie

blackie Advocate (645) California Mar 6, 2005

Red Peak
    future New Belgium NC location
    Thomas Hooker circa 2005 - olde school wales

dirtylou likes this.
  34. 1. lawsons finest liquids who wouldnt want to watch him work magic
    2. firestone walker
    3. jester king

35. 1.lawsons finest liquids
    2.firestone walker
    3.jester king

36. It's more like a barn. It's not the most impressive thing to be at, after all it's a small operation on a dirt road in rural as hell Vermont. But the atmosphere is awesome. When I was there last May it was awesome to stand around on a 65-70 degree sunny day and sip on some of the best beers I've ever had and stare out into the Vermont country side. Then since it's so small you get to see everything in action and Shaun had some music going which was cool. Needless to say I loved it and can't wait to go back this summer.

2 and 3, probably Cantillon and Russian River or one of my other favorite west coast breweries. Pretty common response I'd assume.

37. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Weihenstephaner (Schneider & Sohn, Paulaner, or Ayinger are all right there as well)
    Founders (Major hails to the MI brewer who pushed Bell's outta my top spot as my all-time favorite MI brewer)
    Bell's (Will never forget my 1st MI brewer lovin'. Hands down not a bad dark beer made by them. And my favorite IPA)

Being from NE Ohio and a big fan I need to check out Great Lakes behind the scenes. Runner's up would be Thirsty Dog, Cellar Rats, Hoppin Frog & even Indigo Imp and their open fermentation tanks.

38. Chimay

Yards

Founders

39. nsheehan

nsheehan Advocate (510) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Places I've never been:
    1. Jolly Pumpkin
    2. Unibroue
    3. St. Bernardus
    I've been to St. Sixtus (Westvleteren), Cantillon, and Russian River (a few times).

Allowing places I've been:
    1. St Sixtus
    2. Russian River for PtY
    3. Jolly Pumpkin
    Surprisingly, I've never been to Stone or Firestone Walker. I'll get to Jester King and Live Oak this year.

40. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Founders
    Russian River
    Hmmm..third one is hard...
    Alchemist I guess. Never had any of their beers besides Heady Topper, but I would go there just for that alone.