1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you don't trade beer......why not?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Why don't you trade?

1. Shipping is just too damn expensive

193 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. The beer I have access to locally is just fine, don't need anything else

101 vote(s)
    16.6%
  3. Don't want the hassle of shipping, potential for lost/damaged/confiscated packages

173 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I just don't think people will be interested in the beers I have to offer

109 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. I'm just afraid I'll be taken advantage of in the trade, too intimidating

31 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm having to take a long break from trading due to financial issues, but I will be honest, if money wasn't an issue I would trade forever, it's just so exciting packing up a box that hopefully will put a smile on someone's face. And then opening a box.....It's like Christmas..... I just really love it....

So I have to wonder, if you don't trade.....what's the main reason you don't?

**Bros, While I suppose this would be a topic for the trading section I wanted it seen by non traders, so putting it in that section would likely lead to them missing it.**
  2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I've never traded, but have been seriously considering it recently. Basically my main reasons have been #1 and #3 above in the choices.

Think I might trade for some heady with a fellow BA soon though.
    Kerrie, Gatch and xxbillay like this.
  3. Not an option on the survey, but I pick:
    • (f) --- (a) + (b) + (c)
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I thought about allowing multiple choices, but I'd like people to narrow it down to the main reason they don't trade, otherwise I'm sure all of the options play a role in a lot of peoples reasoning.
    Premo88 likes this.
  5. I'm done chasing beer. There are plenty of good ones localy. I have a basement full of homebrew.

I do trade homebrew with other homebrewers.
  6. I've taken a break from trading due to the cost as well. I do love to trade and want to get back into it when I can, but its hard enough just trying to keep up with even a small fraction of releases nowadays.
    joefc, Pinknuggets, Gatch and 2 others like this.
  7. One problem for me is while I do have some bottles that might potentially serve as decent enough trade bait, I just can't part with them. For example, I have 3 bottles of Birth of Tragedy left, and while I've been tempted to try trading them for some barrel aged stout I don't have access to, I just can't see why I should if the beer I've already got is great.

Another issue is that I'm desperately poor and my college student budget is already stretched to it's breaking point by my ridiculous beer obsession.
  8. I'm actually a mix of all the selections. I spend enough on beer l just for myself as it is. Shipping is expensive, but that's just one small point of it that puts me off. Where I live in Maryland, I have access to a lot of different beers between the stores available near me. There are also some great local breweries, and my absolute favorite brewery is a 45 minute drive from me.

With that said, yes, I do get paranoid with each thing I have shipped. I have completed a couple of trades off the forum, and I have shipped out a few boxes for my blog giveaways. I have anxiety already, so shipping beer just kind of adds to it. I don't purchase a lot of...special beers? Expensive. The most I've done is spending about $30/bottle at 4 bottles. One to ship, one to drink and two to age. Even then that was really hard to pull the trigger. So, While I have some "good" beers in my stash, I don't think I have anything that anyone couldn't really get themselves. Which kind of leads into the intimidating aspect. The last thing you'd want is to complete a trade, and get something that blows your box out of the water. The last trade I completed with another blog, I included a bunch of extras, Bigfoot, Palate Wrecker and come Connecticut beers I grabbed. They didn't include any, and they felt like jerks, and then I felt like a jerk for making them feel like a jerk.

While getting beer mail is one of the best feelings in this hobby, sometimes its not worth the money/stress/time/expectations for me
  9. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I voted for B as my main reason, influenced by A and C. I haven't even worked my way through all of the beers available from New England breweries yet, plus all the great stuff that migrates into my region. Plus I travel for work to Wisconsin, Washington state, and a handful of other places where I can discover even more great brews that don't get shipped to MA.
    skinsfan likes this.
  10. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

Good topic, I had been thinking about this exact question for a long time being that until recently decided to start trading. For me, I think it was a bit intimidating, not really sure of how handle trades, how to properly pack up a box full of beer and/or glasses, unsure what beers I have access to that would be good for trades, etc. For a while, I also thought trades were only for really rare and expensive beers (of which I don't have too many), but then started to realize that everyday beers I drink all the time and enjoy and I kind of take for granted, are beers that others desperately want to try and don't have access to.

So now, within the last month or two, I have completed roughly 10 trades and counting. And I agree, its a pretty cool feeling to pack up a box with some cool extras for a fellow BA and in return not being able to wait to open a box that you receive. I am kicking myself now for not having started trading sooner, but I sure am enjoying the ride now.
  11. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

#1 is definitely the reason I don't trade more. I spend so much on beer without trading that to add the shipping costs on top of that just makes it absolutely crazy. But I will say...trading is sure fun and I agree with all the reasons stated by the OP
    sholle and Hanzo like this.
  12. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I love trading. Not only does it give me access to beers I otherwise couldn't get it has also allowed me to make some new friends across our great nation. If it weren't for trading, I would never have had two of my favorite beers: Nugget Nectar and Jai Alai. Heady is amazing too. But if there is one obstacle, it is definitely the shipping cost. UPS ain't cheap!
  13. Don't buy it folks! Hopfenunmaltz has just graduated from brewing>trading>to bouncing around the globe to drink them at the source!
    herrburgess likes this.
  14. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I hear you. The whole extras topic was something that I was really concerned about. For me (and I am certainly not implying that you did anything wrong with your scenario of sending too many extras and receiving none), I was upfront with a handful of BAs on my first trades, let them know these were my first trades, and opened up communication that way. I asked them outright for advice about packing, extras, etc. and everybody was mopre than helpful in giving tips and working with me. As one BA put it, and I thought it was great advice, was to kind of get in a mindset that you will send roughly x amount of extras each trade, especially for first time trades, knowing that there will be times you receive no extras, times you will receive twice the amount of extras you sent in return, and times where its even. In the end, it will all wash out and either way you are still drinking great beers you don't normally have access to.
  15. We do like to travel. With some research, it can become a beercation.

Thanks for the memory of meeting up and having a Fastenbier.
    rocdoc1 and sergeantstogie like this.
  16. Good thread Hanzo, I've wondered this many times.
    gjoker321 and gcamparone like this.
  17. QuentinCall

QuentinCall Savant (260) Georgia Sep 30, 2011

The trading forum is mostly daunting - all of its limited releases, big bottles for big bottles, request lists for beer I'll never own. And honestly, I don't have the firepower to appease the majority of these people or the time and patience to wade through and find the simpler trades.
    395er, BDEE, Mediczod and 16 others like this.
  18. A, B, and C. Mostly B though. Not interested in going to the trouble when there are so many good beers available in my market.
  19. QuentinCall

QuentinCall Savant (260) Georgia Sep 30, 2011

I genuinely would like to try Ghost Stories/Lindley Park/Moat Water/Gilgamesh/others but I feel like any trade I've seen (granted I'm inconsistent in my viewing) has been far above my depth.
  20. MattOC

MattOC Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 13, 2013

I've always wanted to ask this same question so thanks OP. I was a longtime lurker and finally joined in 2012, yes, a 2012'er. Don't hold it against me. I find the whole trading world intriguing, but completely intimidating and overwhelming. While I would love to get the chance to drink beers from the Midwest and West, there are so many greats beers in MA/New England that I love and even more that I haven't even tried yet. So for me, it would be a combo of c, d, and e.
  21. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

In the Philly market I have access to many great beers already so I don't see the need to ship stuff across the country.
  22. For me, I'd rather just travel and pick stuff up wherever I am at. That seems to be more fun for me these days.
  23. I love trading beer, completed around 30 trades in the first 9 or so months trading. It gave me the opportunity to try tons of great beers I otherwise would not have had the chance to get a hold of. That being said I have cut back significantly. It does get damn expensive- usually trade higher priced bottles plus local expansions plus extras plus shipping, with all that in place most of my trades run almost $100. I just couldnt keep up that pace financially. I do plan to get back to being much more active in the trade community again soon, once I get a little money back in my pocket.
  24. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

For me it has been #3, though I may be embarking on my first trade adventure soon.
  25. I shy away from trading. It's too expensive. I like ocassionally trading locals for locals but very few people ever want to do that.

The cost is ridiculous. Not just the shipping cost mind you, but the cost of the beers. No one ever wants to trade one bomber for one bomber, it's always "since you're sending a bomber you may as well send some more from New England" + extras. I understand that, in the long runt hat saves on shipping, but for that immediate trade it gets expensive.
    creepinjeeper and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  26. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

27. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

I have never done a BA trade. I do trade with friends in Texas and Minnesota. Part of the reason I don't trade is that I have to drive 2 hours to get to a decent beer store. I make that trip about once a month and spend about $200 or so on beer that is new to me and about $100 on beer that I love. The logistics of setting up a trade, driving to the store, hoping they still have what I need for the trade, is not easy to do. There are tons of beers I wanna try (RR sours, Black Tuesday and Bruery anniversaries, CCB, Kern River, Lost Abbey, HF, Heady, Lawson's, FFF, BCBCS, BCBS, HotD, Central Waters, Prairie, Crooked Stave, Kuhnhenn,..... the list could really go on forever) that are unavailable to me and it does not seem to be a realistic option in my current location. I check Letspour regularly and pay the inflated prices to try to pick up some beers I want.
    drperry11 likes this.
  28. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

I have slowed down considerably to focus on mainly reoccuring trading partners.

There are too many people out to "win" every trade instead of building a good trading relationship.
    There are too many people who say "it is just beer" and "life happens" is acceptable when someone gets burned.
    There are too many 2012 and 2013 join dates that seem to know too much about the "politics" of BA to be new.
    There are too many people that come across like underage girls when they type text speech in all their posts.
    There are too many people ( new and old to BA ) that are diving right in without understanding the expenses etc.

I do not like giving beer away unless that is my intent from the start.
    Bildo, randjuke, LambicKing and 10 others like this.
  29. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Voted C, but A and B plays a part as well. It's funny too because I bought 7 BCBS Rare's specifically as trade bait, but then I never traded a single one. Decided why trade a great beer for one that might not be great. Also, with travel and the people I work with (bar/bottle shop) I've been able to try HF, Zombie Dust, and all sorts of other things as it is.
    TheBushman likes this.
  30. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

People are utterly mean. Even folks who have no stake in or have a remote chance with the trade you've proposed, they always want to weigh in with nasty remarks that end up contaminating ISO/FT thread you create. If you don't indicate a trade that is within the narrow boundaries of what they feel is acceptable, they believe they have the right to do all they can to sabotage your trade. I find them to be jealous, immature brats who were likely bullied in high school. This is what dissuades me from trading as often as I otherwise would.
  31. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

The reason I've never traded is probably a combination of all the choices you gave. I also agree with what Photekut said up there ^ about people trying to just "win" trades like this is fucking eBay or something. I would rather just build a solid trade relationship with someone.
    Ford likes this.
  32. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

Awhile ago I decided I wanted to try and trade just to do it. I tried set up two local deals with two different people in different parts of the country. Neither one of them followed through with replying past the initial one or two emails.(they never sent me their address, after i went out and picked up the beer they wanted) I said, this isn't worth my time. Also I homebrew and I do share/trade with other homebrewers. Plus shipping=crazy.
  33. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'm more than happy with the local breweries and all of the great breweries from all over the country that are distributed to my area. I really couldn't ask for more. The whole cost/hassle of trading plays a factor too. Plus I always knew if I got into trading I would probably become addicted to it and go broke, haha but seriously. I'm more than content with the great beers I can find on shelves and there's always some crazy stuff that can be found on-tap.
  34. Shipping costs, general satisfaction with local product, hassle and questionable legality.
    BierGartenok likes this.
  35. I'm still nervous about attempting to trade in MA since it's illegal to have beer shipped to me. I've heard that plenty of people do it but I have terrible luck and I have a feeling we'll get busted and lose good beers in the process.
    LeRose and jtdolla911 like this.
  36. tonton

tonton Aficionado (155) Hong Kong Mar 10, 2013

If someone in Hong Kong wants to trade, I'd me more than happy to do so. Of course, far easier here, is simply to trade knowledge* of our local sources. Otherwise, shipping, of course, is too damn expensive (international).

*Best place to buy English Ale in HK, hands down, is Oliver's in Central. Puts City Super and Jason's to shame.
  37. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (540) Ohio May 24, 2011

I love my local stuff and have found the shelf beers that don't go far outside this distro can bring in some awesome bottles without depleting my cellar!

Set up a FedEx account online and you cost is cut into a 1/3 of what I was. I sent a box from home to Iowa, and two to he York for the cost of my first box sent from Texas to Ohio without the online account.

At the end of the day it's sweet getting trades due to limitations on beer in Ohio. (nothing over 12%)
  38. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (540) Ohio May 24, 2011

As for the legality, just pack well to prevent breaks. These businesses are out to make money, not police a legal product!
  39. I'd rather spend the time enjoying the beers I can easily get instead of longing for the beers I can't. Always chasing new beers for the sake of a new experience feels hollow to me and has little to do with beer that provides a quality experience.
  40. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

While I have traded a couple of times, I don't more often because I don't really have access to anything people want. I don't have time to sit in line all day at bottle releases. Although I'm considering a small trip to Brew Kettle, Columbus and FFF in a few months.

The small amount of trading I've done was a blast though.
    SadMachine likes this.