1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you don't trade beer......why not?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Why don't you trade?

1. Shipping is just too damn expensive

193 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. The beer I have access to locally is just fine, don't need anything else

101 vote(s)
    16.6%
  3. Don't want the hassle of shipping, potential for lost/damaged/confiscated packages

173 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I just don't think people will be interested in the beers I have to offer

109 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. I'm just afraid I'll be taken advantage of in the trade, too intimidating

31 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. I'm not a regular trader by any means- maybe a couple here and there- but I did vote A, because the cost of shipping usually outweighs everything else for me.

Then again, it's nice to do something different every now and then. I am extremely happy with what I can usually buy, though sometimes the mood will strike to step outside of even those constraints. The cost does keep me pretty grounded, though; I'm not really into rare beer, just shelf stuff I can't normally get, so paying a premium for it isn't something I can normally do.
  2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

There are a lot of expensive beers at my local store that I haven't bought yet because of cost. After the cost of shipping, the beer I would trade for would become one of those really expensive beers. I realized this after I did my first trade (got some Nugget Nectar and Daisy Cutter.) I'll start up trading again when my local shelves aren't lined with new beers to try and I have a source of income. Then again, I still might just save my money instead and use it to travel to where I can get these beers at the source.

Basically this: the money I could have used to trade for a couple bottles of whatever popular beer, I used to buy an overpriced bomber of Imperial Biscotti Break the other day, all without the hassle of shipping a package and waiting.
    StoutHunter likes this.
  3. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

I was intimidated by the cost and "hassle" at first but the Christmas morning aspect of trading makes it so worthwhile. I love packing a box full of goodies to ship and I love unpacking a received box even more. The sense of mystery and wonder will keep me coming back and I've really enjoyed the friendships with my regular trading partners. It's good stuff.
    beerindaglass, skinsfan and Hanzo like this.
  4. I keep trying to trade, but no one will answer my BMs! I have a lot of the beers ppl seem to be searching for, but I can't see to set anything up.
  5. because

F. I hate beer
    Vav and Czar_chasm like this.
  6. I don't really have access to anything highly sought after. Fingers crossed that my wife picks a grad school located in a bigger/better beer city.
    Premo88 likes this.
  7. The price I pay in PA bottleshops would get me laughed at when I tried to go $4$ with anyone out of state.
    and like jesskidden said F.(a, b and c.)
  8. I only do IP trades to negate the shipping issues, but overall reason is expense - can never afford multiples at releases, and the cellar is way full already. Mostly I buy onesies for myself and to share - takes a minimum of time and effort. (I can get a lot of great stuff in my travels and other far easier scenarios.) Also don't care for the "gaming" aspect that trading can entail - that's not "beer advocacy" in my book, but I can see how a competitive nature can begin to overrule people's better natures. I always bring good stuff to the party, so I don't feel I'm mssing out.
  9. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Hello, I'm the Internet. Have we met?
    Pando likes this.
  10. ^^^this

and my bf trades for me so I don't have to lolol

But seriously, it's cause I would rather spend my time and money on travel and dates with my boyfriend than on shipping costs and beer, but I have recently began trading and doing BIFs again with people clear across the country... gaddamn dat shipping
  11. For me it's time and money
  12. I went through a brief period of attempting to conduct a few trades, and the people who I got in contact with were too difficult to work with - both needed to pick up the beer, and never really got around to it... basically burned me out on the idea pretty quickly. That's when I realized that, living in the bay area, I have access to more amazing beers than I know what to do with. If I had the money to purchase new beers all the time, and I was burned out on the local beer selection, then I'd probably take a shot at doing a few trades. I think that part of the trading obsession is looking for the (possibly) unattainable - wondering if that ultimate beer that is beyond all beers for you is somewhere else... but from my perspective, I've had really amazing beers here at my "local" breweries, and even if they are to get somewhat better somewhere else, it's not worth my time to actively seek them out because I simply don't care about tasting something that is a little better. For me, variety counts, and until I'm done with EVERY beer that I have access to (which will, of course, never happen), I'm fine with drinking local brews.

However, I can see the value in trading if you live in an area with pretty restricted access to good beer.
  13. Shipping? Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
    DocJitsu, Pando and GreenCoffee like this.
  14. I agree that there are a lot of whalez threads in the ISO:FT forum, but if you just toss up a flare, chances are that you'll get a hit. For example, I launched a FT: Flower Power, ISO: Wants post and ended up making a huge trade of easy to find stuff (on my end) for a ton of CCB and The Bruery.
    skinsfan likes this.
  15. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

I've traded a few times, but initiated all of them. I saw someone really wanted to try some Hopslam and I had access to a lot of it. So, I bm'd them and offered some. In return I said send whatever. Worked out great. In the middle of one right now where someone said they couldn't judge Jai Alai fairly because what they had tried was old. I have to remedy that travesty! I bm'd them and we're even swapping a fresh 6 of Jai Alai for a fresh 6 of Sucks. Great Deal!

But, the answer I checked as to why I'm hesitant to put any actual ISO/FT's on the trader board is D. I don't want to be ridiculed for trying to get some Heady or Pliny by offering substandard (in their mind) beer. We get some good beer in N Fl. But don't get very much at all of what I see people searching for on the trade forum. Hell. I've never heard of half of them.

All that being said, I don't mind the few bucks in expense, the trades I have done have been really fun, and I'll probably continue doing it the way I have been. Reading that people want something I can easily get and BM'ing them and avoiding the ISO/FT forum altogether.
    jgluck, SammyJaxxxx, DHS1029 and 2 others like this.
  16. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Ignorance here, but why do you get cheaper shipping costs simply for setting up an account online through FedEx?
  17. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Same as you, financial issues! I am trying to save money but if I could I would trade all the time!
  18. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (510) California Dec 23, 2010

I didn't realize how expensive and time consuming it is till this week. I picked up a few extra Hunas during spring break to trade for some brews I haven't tried. Though all my trading partners have been awesome, and I am very much looking forward to receiving the boxes, after setting up trades, buying packaging materials, figuring out the best shipping method, and sending out my boxes I do not think I will do anything but IP trades for the foreseeable future. I am a poor college student with very little time, maybe if I had a job that paid well with lots of free time it would be a different story.
  19. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Aside from getting Pliny the Elder when I travel to California, I cannot get brews that are very rare, or people would want, unless they want something local to AZ. I would love to trade for stuff like Heady, or CBS/KBS. which is hard to get for me, but what would I send them???
  20. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I think its illegal in most places!!
  21. No interest in trading, I like to drink all my good beer. I live in the best beer area in the US, Boston MA. Really don't chase that much any more. I think in the past 5 years the craft beer scene has expanded greatly all over the US. Most people have good access to great beer.
  22. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You're absolutely right, many of us that trade do have access to great beer, but as they say, people want things they can't have. I walk in the store and have a thousand beers to choose from, but that still doesn't give me the "rush" of opening a box from a trade or BIF.
  23. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Because I'm not interested in whalez and have a huge selection locally. What I can't find locally is usually available from an online retailer with a similar shipping cost and I don't have to ship anything.
  24. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I'm done with trading for the most part. I have plenty of good beer locally to drink and enjoy.

The only packages I'll be sending out are packages to a couple folks I've established relationships with.
  25. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Mostly (a) and (c) with a little (d) and (e) on the side.
  26. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Trading encourages the ticking disease which in turn makes local releases into a clusterfuck of shit of assholes looking for tradebait. Which in turn encourages the price of limited beers to keep increasing. A BA blended LA beer is now $35?!?!

IPA's don't travel well, esp in the summer through hot warehouses.

And it's expensive, San Diego makes a ton of local great beer and so many new places keep opening up I haven't even been to all the local breweries yet.
    distantmantra and Vav like this.
  27. Even though its easy to get away with, it is still illegal and i dont want to take too many chances. I plan on trading IP at some point, but I would need to be comfortable with the trader and location. Ft westy 12, bcbs, big john, and nightstalker and more (eventually)

If and when it is legalized, imma go HAM for locals not available here
    DerekMorgan likes this.
  28. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Savant (490) Ohio May 24, 2011

Business model I suppose? I input all the info, print out a label and drop off the package at a central location. They put it into the pick up area. It also assures you use their service rather than shop around? I may e wrong...
  29. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (170) New York Dec 25, 2008

For me it's the cost of shipping plus the fact that I don't really have (or have access to) anything worth trading.
  30. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Mostly due to people looking for straight whales all the time, its almost impossible to find a reasonable trade to get done it seems like. ISO: fou foune, 08-10 vintages and heady gets old after a while I hardly even look anymore.
    StoutHunter and SadMachine like this.
  31. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Savant (490) Ohio May 24, 2011

If its legal businesses will set up shop and then your local favorites will be too hard to find...
  32. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

A common thing I'm seeing here is that people feel overwhelmed that the trade forum is nothing but whales we don't have the ammo for.

I propose that we start some non-whale trade threads. I'd love to try some out of state shelf locals in exchange for stuff like Troegs, Head Hunter, CBW and stuff of that sort. I'm not expecting to land Plinys and Headys for them. Doesn't mean I can't get some cool stuff though, right?
  33. I voted for D. I am in KC and think we have some really good stuff available, but you get outside of the Midwest and items like the Boulevard Smokestack Series don't seem that popular, even though this site consistently rates them 90+.

I have had the fortune to travel and try a lot of really good beers, and am trying to slowly build relationships and get into trading, mainly just to try good new beer or find that really great beer I had on a previous trip. I could care less about winning. If it is a great beer I haven't tried before, and I have to trade a great beer I have access to that may be considered "better", I would still do it in a heart beat.

Haven't tried trading via this site yet!
  34. It just seems like a hassle. There are a few beers that I would like to try, but I live in the Portland, OR metro area. There are still a ton a beers I haven't tried that I do have easy access to. I like the idea of trading, but I just don't feel like spending my free time buying and shipping someone else's beer. Yes, I know I'll get some in return, but eh.
  35. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I have never given too much thought to getting burned when I have traded. I guess I have been very lucky that he people that I have traded with are actually good people who keep their word, like me. That may make me somewhat naive but I generally think that most of us on BA are all in this to experience new beers and wouldn't screw another fellow BA.
    Hanzo and skinsfan like this.
  36. Too much of a hassle for me. I mean there are some breweries out there especially from smaller states that I would love to try their beers. They will probably never be sold around here so the only way to get them would be through a trade. Maybe some day.
  37. KegKicker

KegKicker Aficionado (150) New York Aug 11, 2008

The expectation of extras killed any desire I had for trading. I was talking to a friend of mine about trading and he made such a big deal about how the extras are the most important part of trading that it really turned me off. Life is too short for hard feelings or anger over a trade that didn't live up to someones expectations that go over and above what was agreed upon.

I'm actually fine with this because there are a lot of good beers available to me locally, I can order some good stuff on line, and it gives me a reason to shop when I'm out of town.
    randjuke, Onenote81 and JxExM like this.
  38. My options are:

- Drive 5 minutes to buy a beer I've never had before
    - Drive 5 minutes to buy a beer I may or may not have had before, set up a trade with it, drive somewhere else to get packing materials, spend time packing it up like I'm shipping a transplant organ, drive somewhere else to have it shipped, pay to have it shipped. Hope beer is shipped to me in return.

When option 1 becomes unavailable (I'll get back to you in about 5-10 years, if ever), trading will start to have more appeal to me.
    thenamestsam and audioserf like this.
  39. I have traded a couple times on BA. Two trades worked out fine. Another trade didn't, I received damaged/broken bottles on my front door. The trader didn't even wrap the bottles, just put them in a thin box with newspaper. I know this is probably a one time event but to me its just not worth the hassle. I can get my hands on a lot of great beer locally (local and around country) and my best friend lives in Chicago and we ship beer back and forth constantly. So for me the risk out weighs the reward of trading with an unknown person I meet on BA. Great topic though.
  40. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Unfortunately I purchased a home last month.

My beer money has been cut substantially :(