1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you don't trade beer......why not?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Why don't you trade?

1. Shipping is just too damn expensive

193 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. The beer I have access to locally is just fine, don't need anything else

101 vote(s)
    16.6%
  3. Don't want the hassle of shipping, potential for lost/damaged/confiscated packages

173 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I just don't think people will be interested in the beers I have to offer

109 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. I'm just afraid I'll be taken advantage of in the trade, too intimidating

31 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. All of above. I just shipped some Nugget Nector out to California in exchange for a few bottles of Elder. First trade, everything went fine. The Pliny was very good but there a half dozen IPAs I can get in Pa that I like just as much or more. Kind of made me realize I'm not really missing out on much. Satisfied staying local.
    RobertColianni and willbm3 like this.
  2. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

I think I'm going to settle with E and a bit of A. I'm working on setting up my first trade, but it's certainly daunting. I don't want to get taken advantage of, but it's a trade for something that will be a gift so I am just going to hope all goes well. I'm also a poor college student, so the hassle and cost of packing/shipping things is just annoying. I'm completely content with what I can get locally.
  3. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (455) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I'd love to get into trading, and I do plan to ease into it later this year, but I chose D for my answer. Looking through the ISO/FT forum is very intimidating for a noob. You always hear about locals for locals, but I seldom see those types of trades on there. It's always my whale for your whale, and I don't have any whales to give. Any whales I do have, I had to work my ass off to get, either by driving out to another area, lucking into it, or scrounging around my own city for 1 bottle. So since I did the work to get it, I want to drink it. But I did find my way into BIF's and those are a ton of fun, although a bit expensive. I'll eventually throw up a locals for locals trade and try to kill the porch of the trading partner, but I wanna make sure I have the ammo to do it. If something should happen to a box I send, I want to be able to resend whatever was agreed to, and right now I can't do that.
  4. TMFA!!!

(TOO MANY FUCKING ACRONYMS!!!)
    udubdawg and kmello69 like this.
  5. LuckyJohn

LuckyJohn Advocate (505) Colorado Feb 6, 2013

I travel a lot with my job. It's fun to go hunting for different regional beers when I'm actually in the area.
  6. Yeah, I just went on the ISO:FT board for the first time, and it is extremely intimidating. I am sure there are plenty of great people on there, but I pretty much don't feel like I belong on that board unless I do some serious work on my cellar.
  7. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Too much damn money to ship beer. But its awesome to do IP trades, meeting up with people and bringing home awesome new beers.
  8. I've done nearly 100 trades to date. I'm with Shogo here. I rarely trade with randos anymore. Only if something new comes out that really piques my interest. I have a cousin who lives next to hill farmstead, and a cousin who lives next to russian river. Coupled with once in a blue moon ordering from ĂȘtre and swapping boxes with a regular trading partner from Seattle, these are usually the extent of my out of market beer anymore. The game is tiresome...
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  9. Coolrewl

Coolrewl Zealot (90) South Dakota Mar 23, 2013

Its too damned bad that we can't petition UPS/FedEx for a BA liscence to ship. Being in the midwest I would love to trade for some of the coastal beers, but I really would rather not have my package confiscated (more money and good beer lost).
    Can't help but wonder if some guy at ups shakes every box hoping its a box from a BA member that he can confiscate. ;)
    Cheers!
  10. Good call. I already have one in the works. Hurray!
  11. I'm relatively new to everything, but have already completed around eight trades. I'm still hesitant at times, mostly because of the cost and the worry that I'm going to screw something up (send the box to the wrong address - and they end up being in law enforcement), but the fact that i live in Oklahoma and just don't have access to very much at all wins out most of the time.

At the end of the day, I'm probably not sending out some rare discontinued beer so if I get burnt, I get burnt. It will suck, but I'll be ok. Also, I do have faith in people (sometimes too much) and typically feel that everything will work out pretty evenly by the end of the trade. It also helps that I met a few good and seasoned BA's along the way (SpdKilz) that helped me get started.
  12. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I trade very little for 3 reasons.

1) Gets way to expensive
    2) Cam is not here to start new Noob BIF's. They were always a blast.
    3) Trade forums are a flat out mess right now.
    Urbancaver likes this.
  13. Laziness
    DRBiser likes this.
  14. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Many reasons:

1. The shipping is ridiculous.
    2. I have plenty of good beer to drink on the shelves here.
    3. Back when I did trade, I often felt the beers I received were no better than the stuff I have available to me. The drive to try something new kind of dies when you realize you're spending exhorbitant sums of money to ship stuff.
    4. The "trading game" has devolved into a pokemon-esque battle for who can have the "rarest wales" and "win the trade" instead of simply sharing quality local beers with people across the country. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I miss the time (pre-2008ish) when I could load a box with Blue Dot, Hop Henge, and a few other locals and trade it for a box full of tasty stuff from across the country.
    5. The shipping is ridiculous.
    BostonHops likes this.
  15. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

That's putting it nicely.
  16. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I voted that I don't want to get taken advantage of but that also includes getting burned. I just joined and I'm sure that many people probably aren't interested in trading with a noob. I have yet to make my first trade and it seems a little overwhelming at the moment. I've read so much about people whale hunting and trying to win trades and those things aren't what I'm interested in. If I do try and trade in the near future I'd be looking for stuff that I can't get here and am dying to try, but I think people will be turned off by the fact that I have no whales to trade.

another thing is the cost of trading, specifically shipping things.
    JeffZeltwanger likes this.
  17. LostHighway

LostHighway Savant (330) Maine Jan 29, 2007

I'll still trade, in person, but I'm done with shipping. Too much hassle, it jacks up the price too much and about 50% of the people I've dealt with have been somewhere in the general vicinity of mildly unpleasant to not entirely honorable.
  18. Cyrano41

Cyrano41 Savant (275) Virginia Aug 7, 2009

All the above. Another big concern of mine is my palate. I know what I like and it seems most of the traders want limited release, barrel aged hop-bombs. That's just not my bag.
  19. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I love trading I just wish it was easier in general. The things I want are just too hard to get. It's a lot of stress and money to get what some people have for trade. Some people are incredibly generous while other want the world for somethings they have. I suppose it's jealousy that gets me most of the time. I see what people have and i get pissed that I don't have it. It sucks haha!
  20. socon67

socon67 Advocate (625) New York Jun 18, 2010

Just too much of a hassle. I do enough in-person trades with people that I get some stuff I don't have access to. I also tend to travel enough and ship things back.
  21. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I just sent out two boxes in the past two days, and it's friggin expensive! It's exciting, but I can only do it every once in a while.. I didn't ever try before because I didn't think anyone would want what I have to offer. And it seems like people only wanna trade trophies and not even drink the damn beer lol. Also, people constantly talk trash on other people's posts. That's just rude! If you aren't interested, then continue looking without sabotaging someone else's post...
  22. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (415) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

I'm not opposed to trading, but there is a ton of beer that I can find locally that will keep me happy. Sure, its nice to have a Pliny or some Abrasive once in a while, but I'm not always sure I can gather enough ammo to trade for some of those types of beers.
  23. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Mainly because I'm a crappy member of the BA community...

In all honesty, it's because I try to keep my beer hobby within boundaries. Buying what is easily accessible and not searching out any whales helps me keep it within those boundaries. I feel that trading could easily get out of control for me and be cost prohibitive.
  24. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

I have ~30 trades and a couple of BIFs under my belt, but I haven't traded in about two years, because the cost, particularly with shipping, is a bitch. And, not owning a car, it is all the more inconvenient to make it to Fedex.

That said, I am leaning towards making the occasional trade again.
  25. This.
    I just don't see why I should pay what will eventually be double for some beer. Furthermore, I brew at home, so paying what eventually turns out to be $20.00+ of overhead on a few choice bottles just doesn't make sense to me when I can brew two cases of something similar for the same price of one bottle.
  26. Kreko7

Kreko7 Savant (305) California Mar 5, 2013

It really is like Christmas! Trading is the best
  27. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I've just gotten into trading and I'm happy to say that everyone I've traded with so far has been outstanding. Seriously, some people here are entirely too generous with their extras. However, there is the occasional time when I reply to an ISO:FT post where someone is blatantly out to rip someone off and that really gets under my skin.

But man, when you have a trade in progress with a good BA, seeing that box you're expecting on the front porch when you get home IS pretty damn exciting!
    Kreko7 likes this.
  28. I've never traded mostly because of the hassle combined with the fact that I can do a pretty decent job of getting out-of-market beers through a vast collection of online retailers.

However, if I ever want to get my hands on some HF (which I do) without going to Vermont, I may have to bite the bullet and find a trading partner.

Curious for anyone who knows--how easy/difficult is it to trade for HF beers? I get pretty decent access to a lot of West Coast beers here in Kansas City...
  29. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

People mention the price... but think about it. I can't get Sucks here. A person I'm trading with can't get Jai Alai. That 11 dollar pack of each is going to cost 18 when all is said and done. If I walked into a store and saw a fresh 6 of Sucks, I'd drop the 18 in a heartbeat, and call a couple of my local buddies to come enjoy one with me. I imagine my trading partner would spend the dough as well for the CCB. Spending a few extra bucks to taste some great beer you can't get is no problem to me. It's still way less than sitting in a bar paying 5 bucks for a draft.
  30. I'm open to the occasional trade especially if it's for something I've been dying to try, but simply enough in this golden age of craft there are just way too many fantastic brews that we have access to, both locally and in terms of what's distributed to the area, to need to incur added shipping costs on a regular basis.
    Appollo and BierGartenok like this.
  31. I started trading not just to try things I had never tried before, but to try great things I had never tried before. There's usually a reason a brew gets hyped, because to most people it tastes great. If I simply wanted to try stuff I had never tried, I wouldn't trade, I'd just go to my local shop and try all the bottles they carry in alphabetical order. And while I admit there is some excitement to trying something new, there is more excitement to trying something new that you have a reasonable expectation of being great.
    SadMachine likes this.
  32. Just let me buy it. Done Deal. I am also really glad this thread was started. I think when you are a "New" Beer Person, trading is a great way to get beers you may otherwise not have a chance to get. But as time goes on and more beers are produced, unless it is someone you have always traded with, a great friend or some other "in person" deal, it's just really not worth the hassle. It's expensive, I'm lazy and you are always taking a risk. They will always make more beer and there will always be more beer to be had. No reason to go all ape shit over it. Enjoy some locals until other brews come your way!
  33. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

DocJitsu likes this.
  34. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Please tell me where you can ship a six pack of beer for $7. I would be interested in using these shipping services in the future.
    udubdawg and ShogoKawada like this.
  35. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Haven't done it yet, apparently I'm way off.. Thanks for the heads up.
  36. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I started trading a few years ago with buddies across the country who had nothing to do with BA. This allowed me to get some experience with how to pack boxes, etc., and less concern about what would happen if something broke/went missing.

Then I started doing IP trades, because I now had some out of state stuff people were interested in, and it was just easier to meet someone locally than to deal with shipping.

I trade with other BAs every once in a while, but its not a regular thing. If I see a guy/gal looking for something I have, and I want to hook them up, I'll jump in and work something out. I'm happy to help when I can, but I'm certainly not on the hunt - I have plenty of beer to drink.

For me, I'd rather just have a few good trade partners I work with regularly. You develop relationships, get to know each other's likes and dislikes, and can have much more fun regularly destroying each other's porches. When it gets to be stressful, trading just isnt worth it any more.
    BierGartenok likes this.
  37. I have been trade curious, but haven't crossed over for several reasons. 1) I am still exploring the brews available at my local shops. There is so much I haven't tried yet. 2) It seems, on the trading forum, everyone is almost always looking for whales. Me, I'm looking for the brews I can't get locally, such as Gandhi-bot, Heady Topper, Jai Alai, etc. I really don't have the whales to offer up. I am not greedy; I just want it to be fun. 3) I am four months noob here at BA. I know that you have to be here a certain amount of time before you can offer up a trade. In time, hopefully my fellow BA's will get to know me better through my posts. Looking forward to making friends here.
    I am sending my daughters boyfriend some local beers from here within the week, so I will learn first hand the details of and get practice packing and shipping. After that, who knows? It's only a matter of time.
  38. I don't trade because, through most of my social interactions, I get screwed. I've come to realize that people just plain HATE me!:(
  39. Combination of the first three for me, plus homebrewing. I can barely keep up with all the locally available beers. There is some stuff I wouldn't mind getting my hands on, but being in Canada, shipping is tough.
  40. Glaze

Glaze Disciple (60) California Feb 25, 2011

I don't trade because of time constraints. Just itemizing my collection seems like a daunting task.