1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you don't trade beer......why not?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Why don't you trade?

1. Shipping is just too damn expensive

193 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. The beer I have access to locally is just fine, don't need anything else

101 vote(s)
    16.6%
  3. Don't want the hassle of shipping, potential for lost/damaged/confiscated packages

173 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I just don't think people will be interested in the beers I have to offer

109 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. I'm just afraid I'll be taken advantage of in the trade, too intimidating

31 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (465) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Ironic that you should post this question, as this morning I was pondering starting a thread with the opposite question ( What keeps active traders continuing to trade), as I am in the process of my first trade right now ( locals for locals) just shipped it yesterday.

So far, the process has been nerve-wracking. I am the worst liar in the world--when I was asked what was in there, I was like 'Oh just some stuff for my buddy in Florida, some Giardiniera, Garretts Popcorn and stuff he can't get down there'. The lady who was creating my label was new and it was taking forever and I was starting to sweat pretty bad -ha! So I sent the tracking code to my trading partner right afterwards, but it must have took them forever to put it in the system. I'm sitting at my PC at work all day hitting refresh on FedEx's website because I was worried they might have already confiscated it or maybe just that my partner was thinking I was a deadbeat since it wasn't there yet. Now I'm nervous that even despite what I think is a good packing job, what if something did happen to break or if someone steals it off his porch. Also, I only put in 1 extra (not really sure what is standard for 8 beers?) because I didn't have much exciting on hand, and I'm worried what if he's underwhelmed by only 1.
    I'm sure it will work out great in the end, and I will probably attempt a few trades here and there to try some beers that I want, but I don't see myself doing this on any kind of regular basis. As for the poll, if I do decide to not trade anymore - it will probably be because a combination of the first 3 choices. I do have access to a ton of great beers in Chicagoland, so why pay a premium for comparable ones and go through a nerve-wracking process.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  2. The first 3 options.
  3. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

I have done a few trades and BIF. Don't really plan on doing anymore though. I have tasted some very good beers that I can't normally get. But, not sure the great taste of a bottle or two makes paying the heafty packing and shipping charges worth it. Especially with a larger bottle count trade.

While there are some great brews out there that I may never get to try, I am just fine with that. I already have plenty of great brews right here on my local store shelves. I am lucky in that Arizona has great distribution from outside breweties. Those other beers? Ehhh, they will just make any trips out of town that much more interesting if I happen to run across them.
  4. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Largely all above. Shipping/packaging IS expensive, and I already spend enough money on buying regularly-priced sixers/4-packs, the occasional bomber, and pints at the local brewery. Not so much the second option, because I love to try beers from far away lands, but I can deal with the local selection. Thirdly, I'm a huge procrastinator, and I would hate to make somebody wait for me to deal with going to the liquor store, then packing it all, then the post office. Definitely the biggest factor for me (and the one I voted for in the poll), is that I don't really have access to much that I'd think people would care about. Our distribution is so limited in northern Wyoming.

Another reason for me is...I don't want to get wrapped up in the trading for beers. I know myself, and I'd get stuck in the obsessive gotta-have-it-gotta-have-it thing. Which, I'm sure is fun, but I like to keep my beer simple. I want to enjoy our very limited local selection and just be happy with it without wondering how I'm going to get my hands on such and such beer.

The only kind of trade I'd be interested in is a super low key locals-for-locals. Something year round or just not hard to come by in my parts for something year round or not hard to come by in your parts.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  5. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Trading seems like a very closed group.

My first stumble would be posting a deal which was deemed "unfit" and being mocked and potentially being called a "2012."

Then when I worked that out, I'd have the ups/fedex risk. And if my box broke, I'd have to double my contribution, or else again, be a "2012."

Finally, even if it arrives, it might be wrong. And if it's wrong, and I can't satisfy the needs of the trading clique, I end up on the bad trader list, and am forever doomed.

So my options are "try, fail, end up banned" or "never try" one has a lot less stress...
  6. What in the hell is a "2012"?

Your post is enough to make me snuff out the tiny voice in the back of my head that says I should at least give trading a go.
  7. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

From the options, I would have to vote for #1, 2, and 3.
  8. 2012 = end of the world = end of trade? Another reason I don't trade yet; I don't know all of the lingo. One of the many downfalls of being a noob! ;)
  9. Options 1&3 are the reason I have kicked around the idea of starting a semi local (Southeastern Wisconsin/Northeastern Illinois) trading website...something very simple where you could list your cellar "haves"for others to view, and set up so that people could meet at various liquor stores in this area to complete trades; plus maybe you find a new place to buy great beer that you weren't aware of...all without having to pack or ship it, and maybe even meet some cool new beer people in the process.
  10. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (575) California Aug 26, 2009

Make that:
    • (f) --- (a) + (b) + (c)+ .5(d) and that just about covers me. Shipping is just an expensive hassel but it's mostly because I'm content with what I've got for a local selection. I give half credit though to the 4th option only because most of my local selection is pretty widely available.
  11. there's a lot of dick-waving around people's join dates.

The thought is: pre-2009 are old geezers, vets, and curmudgeons

2009 was the golden year

2010s and 2011s occasionally delight but often fall flat

stay away from anything 2012 or later.
  12. I chose B.

I've only seriously been into beer for 4 years now. I live on the border between Ontario & Quebec where I have access to enough variety that I haven't tried everything that's available to me. Maybe in the future I'll get bored of my choices but I'm not there yet.
  13. That's disappointing. Is that just in the context of trading, or in all things BA?
  14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

For me it's a combination of 1-3, but mostly 2.
    I've done a few trades over the past few years and it was fun, but I've determined that with a few exceptions, it's just not worth all the effort and money. Plenty of great beer to be found locally so I've decided to let the distributors do their job (distributing) and I'll do mine (drinking).
  15. I suppose the main reason for me is that I like the 'thrill of the hunt'. Lots of beers I want to try out there, and if I could just have someone ship them all to me, I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. I'd rather go about my life not knowing when I might stumble into the opportunity to try Heady...and be that much more appreciative when it finally happens. It also helps that given DC's loose distribution laws, I have a lot more opportunities to try out of market beers than the average BA.

The other reason is that considering shipping costs/logistics, it just seems like there are a lot of barriers to entry.

That being said, I DO like the 'Christmas Morning' aspect of trading - picking quality beers to hopefully make someone's day, and being surprised in return. If I were to trade, this would be the reason.
  16. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Some of you are so panicked! Packing and shipping a box is really not a big deal. My first trade I shipped USPS (mistake #1), had a bottle break because I packed poorly (mistake #2), and panicked and told the post office what was in the wet box when they called me (mistake #3).

Know what? They still delivered the box, and it's never happened again because I asked for advice and honed my box packing skills.

I mean, don't trade if you don't want to, but also don't worry so much about all the worst-case scenarios. It will most likely be fine. :)
  17. 1 and 3. Too much money and effort for beer. I already pay enough for the beers I get here!
  18. Used to trade before the amount of beer on the shelves here in MN exploded. I no longer need to trade as I can hardly keep up with the new arrivals both from MN and around the US
  19. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

This is how I started. There are plenty of BA's who are not out to win trades. One thing I have never done is use the ISO:FT forum. I would watch the users who participate in LNBA, take a look at where they were from and see if their profile included previous trade history then I would BM them. Today I have several regular traders. It may not even be trading anymore because now we just usually drop packages on each other with little or no notice. Also, read the recommendations on how to pack and ship. I have been sending packages for some time and I do no recall ever being asked what's in my box. Create a Fedex account, print all your labels at home, and simply drop the boxes off at a shipping location.

I understand the money thing, but I would still recommend giving it a try. Don't panic about shipping and breakage, it is fun and its another way to connect with some great BA's and great brews
    DHS1029, tolar111, Auslander and 2 others like this.
  20. Never have. I am definitely interested. I agree with a lot that its a combination of the 3. I've always liked craft beer, but have really only been completely hooked for like 6 months, and am still finding plenty of great beers available that I haven't tried. If I get bored then I'll pony up the cash for shipping, and hope I'm ale to pack it right.
  21. Jayeblue24

Jayeblue24 Aficionado (190) Idaho Apr 11, 2012

I actually didnt mind spending the few extra bux on ebay....i usually wanna keep the beer I buy....but I mite give trading a try
  22. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Question about printing FedEx labels : How do you know the weight? I don't imagine many of you have proper scales, so are you taking a guess? What happens if you're under/over?
  23. Dumb question. What is LNBA?
  24. My main issue is thinking what I'm able to get isn't that great. The things I would want most - basically anything by Left Hand, Three Floyds, Brew Dog, or 21st Amendment...I don't know if I can get anything comparable. It's all relative. I can easily get Abita, Yazoo, Blackstone, Lagunitas, and Sweetwater here. I actually had someone message me saying they'd trade some Zombie Dust for a few Lagunitas beers...so I guess it really does depend on someone's particular taste.
    skinsfan likes this.
  25. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Pretty sure it was Late Night Beer Advocate which morphed into what are you drinking now.
  26. Agreed. I think it also depends on availability. You have Terrapin where you live and I don't. One of the reasons I am eventually gonna trade. It's gonna be for the stuff my liquor store can't get. You know what they say: one man's trash is another man's treasure. :)
    skinsfan likes this.
  27. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I only traded twice. Honestly, I think its a huge responsibility to try to find stuff that the other person will really enjoy and also doesn't have access to.
    Guess I'm afraid I will fuck-up and the other person will end up disappointed.
    (Won't lie, the shipping thing is a bit difficult as well.. getting everything together and finding time to go to ups....)
  28. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Late Night Beer Advocate, the previous 'What are you drinking now' thread that was traditionally started later in the evening east coast time.
  29. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Guesstimate. I go with about 3lbs per 750, 2lbs per 22oz, and 1lb for each 12oz. Might not be exact, but its close, and FedEx will re-weigh your box for an accurate weight anyway. When you have an account thats linked to a credit card, they dont charge the card until after its delivered, so you dont have to be accurate up front.
    skinsfan likes this.
  30. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Totally agree that shipping is pricey... Can't argue that. But it's worth the investment for some good Heady Topper!!! Of with gorilla shippers and you can't go wrong.
    skinsfan likes this.
  31. I'm somewhat a cynical man and think someone will screw me over with no box or a box full of tater tots. However, I have found the few people I did take faith in have been well received, so...I am trading, just very slowly compared to some of my friends. (which probably has me missing out on some awesome brews) Also, I wish I has more time to browse the trade forums, but it feels as if when i'm not working, i'm sleeping; and if i'm not out having a good time on weekends, i'm sleeping something off- extra, extra long.
    Jimmeekrek likes this.
  32. I'll be popping my trade cherry in the Canada BIF happening soon. I've tried to trade a couple of times before, but things tend to sour when the only thing people seem to want is BBA Peche Mortel. For some reason, everyone I've talked to seems to think it flows in our rivers here in Quebec and one can just drink it at leisure (it's %*$@ing hard to get, brewery only). Offer the regular stuff? $for$! Yeah... thanks, but rather than sending you 3 cases of beer for your one bottle, I'll just drink my locals. As much as I LOVE American craft, I don't like being taken advantage of.
  33. Then maybe you and I can work out a trade sometime. I'm not even looking for rare, just different.
    skinsfan and creepinjeeper like this.
  34. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

I've traded a couple of times when someone has sent me a BM. I feel obligated since I have access to Surly. However, I won't be trading again until something really great is being offered. Just too expensive and a hassle.
  35. A lot of people have mentioned the risk involved, and the fear of getting "caught." My question is: would it really be that bad if you did? I've never heard of someone getting arrested for shipping beer, but maybe I'm out of the loop. Really, what's the worst that could happen? (I'm not asking rhetorically; I really do want to know.)

Conversely, I've heard quite a few stories of "my box leaked, FedEx unpacked it, threw away the empty/broken bottle, packed it back up, and sent it on it's way." I'm sure that isn't the norm, but it does seem to happen.
  36. I've traded a couple times recently but it would be a combination of a, b, & c why I don't do it often. Shipping cost, finding the beer, packing it, dropping it off, etc takes a lot of time and money.
  37. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

I have never traded over BA nor do I think I ever will. mainly because I don't have the money or time to get that serious about it. there is still tons of great beer readily accessible to me that I have yet to try. I don't think I will ever feel deprived. :)
  38. This is exactly how I feel on all levels. I've liked craft beer since I was in college, but I've only honed my appreciation to the current state, where I'm actually seeking out new and interesting beers on principle, in the last 5 months or so. Trading is something that sounds fun and potentially beneficial, but there is enough stuff in my area that I haven't tried that I think it will be a long time before I get to the point where I feel like I *need* to trade to find new and interesting beers.
  39. Don't have access to many rarities down here. It's a 5-hour drive to Tampa and CCB, so their limited release bottles and growlers are not something I'd come across very often. Maybe when JWB opens up I'll have more leverage, but for now I just don't think it's worth the effort. I'm just stoked that South Florida beer distro has stepped it up and that we're getting more promising local breweries (but with the size of Florida, local doesn't always mean easy access).
  40. I'm not positive of their shipping distribution area, but Halftime Beverage usually has a pretty good collection of 21st Amendment and Left Hand brews.
    Bartinator and creepinjeeper like this.