1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you don't trade beer......why not?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Why don't you trade?

1. Shipping is just too damn expensive

193 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. The beer I have access to locally is just fine, don't need anything else

101 vote(s)
    16.6%
  3. Don't want the hassle of shipping, potential for lost/damaged/confiscated packages

173 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I just don't think people will be interested in the beers I have to offer

109 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. I'm just afraid I'll be taken advantage of in the trade, too intimidating

31 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. I've been toying with the idea, but find myself lacking what people are searching for in return for what I have been interested in. Also, I move a lot for work, so the constantly changing address has caused me to shy away, also. I would like to give it a try at some point, though.

2. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

Great link! I just ordered 6 12-packs of Jai Lai. What were the sites you've found for the other breweries you mentioned? I might've done my last trade ever!

3. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Mine is an easy D. I live in Alabama , what can I trade? I do want to though and I hope to this year. Everything outside of here is a "whale".

4. post quality, mostly. that bleeds into trade posts.

5. If I could have every beer I want at home, either by buying it here or trading for it, it would take away a lot of the pleasure and excitement when I travel and have the opportunity to get beers that would otherwise be unobtainable for me.

6. The first three together.

7. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Right now for me, it's pure financial. Auto repairs and my oldest daughters cheer expenses have killed me this month.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  8. ghostly

ghostly Aficionado (145) New York Mar 7, 2011

F. I feel like it cheats people out of a good adventure. I'd rather travel to the source. Moby Dick was not shipped to Ahab, kids, and that's the point.

9. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

I am a trader but have been settling down a bunch and only really trading with past partners... But I just want to say that I love your analogy.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

Do the people who think they don't have beer to trade even try? I love trading, but my introduction to "trading" was when I posted a thread asking something like "How far from Columbus do I have to drive to buy 12oz bottles of Three Floyds?" A day or so later and a few suggestions of some border towns that get bottles, my now very good friend Gpawned send me my first ever beer message "Hey man, I am moving from Chicago to [your neck of the woods] and I can get you all the Three Floyds you want".

Alabama may seem like it has nothing to offer, but check seekabrew.com. You get distribution from some decent breweries and have locals people haven't tried. Find the good stuff, let people know what you are looking for. Not everyone is trying to "win" a trade. Hell, some people MIGHT just send you beer if you ask nice.

11. modern

I have kids, that's why I trade. Ahab didn't seem like a family man.

skinsfan likes this.
  12. i think being a relative newcomer makes the "beer i have access to locally is fine" answer all the more valid. (especially here in mass where we have some great local/regional breweries AND wide distribution.) you can literally treat yourself to new stellar beers for months - if not years - on end without ever having to stray farther than the beer store a block or two away.

Ginzy likes this.
  13. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Honestly, I'd do more in-person trades for off-shelve brew if I didn't feel so socially awkward. Shipping is too expensive, and I'm not up for chasing rarities that I can't even afford myself. Seriously. (And seeing as how I jealously recommended to a friend visiting New Mexico to seek out some Elevated IPA, let me just say that if anyone from 'burque is visiting San Francisco BM me and let's set something up! Local for local!)

14. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

f.) too many people have no idea what a "fresh" ipa is and not enough brewers date their ipas.

15. Hermit_King

Hermit_King Disciple (50) Illinois Mar 19, 2013

I've never traded, and for the most part its bc the subjectivity of beer tastes makes having a constant of sorts hard. What I can get for 1 dark lord from one person, Id have to give up two if I traded with someone else. I suppose my answer would be closest to E. I'd much rather open a bottle and share with someone instead.

16. Ditto, except I don't have any real whales. I just got an offer for a trade, so we will see how it goes. I have never really shipped anything, so hopefully this can be my intro into shipping stuff (i.e. ebay and other forums). Hopefully, out to CA isn't too expensive.

I was surprised the other day saying that they wanted to send me some beer mail. I was just talking on the "becoming a regular" thread and boom, PM. The people on here are great and I am looking forward to my first trade. Also, I really want to meet some MD BAs.

skinsfan likes this.
  17. Buff0910

This is what I wanted to see in this thread. I have access to several really good locals and lots of other "rare" beers from big breweries. For instance in January, my local store had a tap takeover from Bells with BA Black Note, 9000, BA Cherry and others. I also got to pick up a bottle of BA Bigfoot and a bomber of Black Note because no one else really knew what they were yet.

18. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Burn out and increased online shopping options. Used to do a lot of trading and participated in many, many BIFs. No more. Oh, there is the occasional trade still, but mostly I pick up my beer at the store, online or other.

19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I love trading, and living in Nc how else would I have ever gotten Pliny/Blind Pig etc? I got tired of reading posts about great IPA's I'll never see in NC, so I traded my 1st bottle of CBS when it was still a new whale, and I was hooked.

20. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

Absolutely right it depends on taste. You can be surprised that many beers you probably take for granted (ie Sweetwater IPA), could be on someone's list to try or that they would be interested in trying. It has been mentioned several times, but not all trades have to be over the top, expensive, rare beers that are exchanged. Some of my first trades that I initiated with a limited beer that was released, but subsequent after that have just turned into sending local stuff that I like to others who can't get them normally. I would imagine a 2 week old 6-pack of Sweetwater IPA plus a couple other of their beers or other locals thrown in would generate some interest. Just my opinion.

creepinjeeper and modern like this.
  21. skinsfan

Well said

22. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

You have access to things like BA Bigfoot and bombers of Black Note and you think there is nothing from your area that people will trade for? You need to re-evaluate that, my friend.

skinsfan likes this.
  23. Buff0910

This is true, and these are examples of really the only trade worthy beers we have so far. I did take a short drive to GA last weekend and picked up a 6er of Sucks, 2 Stone IRS (2010), and 2010 cellared Double Bastard. My point is I can find some here and there to trade, but it's mostly stuff a lot of people can get in their hometown readily. I'm happy to trade anything I can get though.

24. Ahab was also an obsessed loner who did nothing *but* search for that whale. I love craft beer to an extraordinary degree, but I can't put my life on hold to take a road trip to Hill Farmstead, for example.

26. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Surly is at France44.com

Troegs is at https://www.beerworldstore.com/home.html they have some CCB too.

FFF and the Chicago breweries are at http://www.archerliquors.com/List/USA.html they have the MI breweries too.

27. I really appreciate your input, and what I've read from others on here. I guess I was overthinking the whole process, which I see others have too. I may do what was stated and get a good list of my favorite beers and offer those up. Thanks again for the advice.

creepinjeeper and skinsfan like this.
  28. skinsfan

Yeah man, no problem. I was overthinking it as well before I got into it. And if you throw it out in trade forum, just put FT: local beers ISO: ie fresh IPAs, your locals, etc. and then in the body of the post include beers you readily have access to. Can't hurt to try and see what will come of it!

Another thing to consider is if you are into glassware at all, try looking for a specific type of glass or have one to offer for trade, look in the Breweriana thread. An offer for a trade for a simple Imperial Pint glass or something from a specific brewery always carries with it the option to throw in some beers from said brewery, local options, etc. So offering up a Sweetwater glass with fresh 6-pack of their IPA (just an example) is another avenue to trade glasses and inevitably beers.

I hope the advice helps, as lots of BAs have included lots of good info in this thread. I am by no means an expert, but I am just trying to share things that have worked for me and I have picked up along the way! Cheers man.

creepinjeeper and Bartinator like this.
  29. modern

Bartinator mentioned Yazoo and now Skinsfan mentions Sweetwater. Bartinator, we could easily work a deal. I want Yazoo Sue, BA version especially. I would also love to try a Sweetwater IPA. I have easy access to Left Hand and 21st Amendment shelf beer. My friend I mentioned earlier in the thread trades with me on a regular enough basis that I get Three Floyds often enough I was able to include it in 4 or 5 trades last year.

My point is not to work a deal in a thread but to encourage people who are interested in trying new beer to try trading. Yes, its expensive. It takes time to pack beer properly and packing materials can be expensive as well. It is also a lot of fun. The ISO:FT threads can be discouraging because there are so many posts with FT awesome brewery release that you had to stand in line for tickets ISO Belgian beer only released to the US in the event that the monastery needs a new roof. A lot of other trades get done too, and those can be just as fun.

30. Brewski

Brewski Savant (400) Pennsylvania Jul 22, 2012

Addiction!?! I feel that I would want to try every brew out there and that I would need to trade A LOT!! It most likely would become a overwhelming obsession that my therapist would like to spend some time on! Oh, and the shipping cost. JK

31. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

Great thread... I must say that it is because I feel bad for the person I'm trading with because I'm very slow at purchasing everything, packaging all the beers, creating a label and shipping the beer. I've already shipped stuff out to a friend here previously, but I just don't find (or make the time), to get everything ready to be shipped out in a time frame that is convenient for them. Then when it is time to ship, I agree with point A that shipping is not all that cheap.

32. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

The actual cost of shipping isn't that bad... but when you figure in the cost of the packaging materials (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc...) and all of the time that it takes - it's not worth it (to me) to do regularly. A couple times a year is fun though!

33. Granted this is my OPINION but being in Pittsburgh, apart from headhunter and Nuggect Nectar, I don't find very many beers that individuals want to trade for.

jeevo and HeyJim like this.
  34. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Between what is produced here in CO and what we have access to from other states, I can't keep up as it is with all of the seasonal, special releases and new beers on the market. Sure I would love to try Heady and beers from Hill Farmstead or CCB, but that will have to wait until I hit VT or FL.

My thought process would probably be different if I lived somewhere with more limited offerings.

35. rollom

rollom Advocate (570) New York Jan 22, 2011

My main reason is location - I live in NYC.

Pros -

1. Decent distribution of out-of-state beers (on the whole - would love to see some FFF, Bells, and a couple of others).
    2. Between all of the bars and stores in the various boroughs, there are some really good events where you get to try some excellent beer that you wouldn't come across otherwise.
    3. Torst.

Cons -

1. Limited release beers in stores are very....limited (i was able to get 1 x KBS today, and I'm sure plenty of people missed out altogether). Not so much of a concept of "buying four - two for me and two to trade".
    2. Breweries that are truly local to NY can make some solid beers, but are not generally producing beers that people are looking to trade for - even on a local for local basis (with the exception perhaps of Captain Lawrence, but I don't have a car).

So on the whole, my beer "moments" are mostly at events, or sometimes getting lucky with a limited release. Plus trips to HF (my second one is coming up soon - 3rd anniversary - can't wait!) and RR haven't hurt either.

If lived near somewhere like CCB, then i would probably be more inclined to trade, as CCB is in great demand, yet (by all accounts) FL isn't a mecca for out-of-state beer distribution. NYC is basically close to being at the opposite end of the scale to somewhere like that.

But i'm, not complaining - i've had 30/50 of the top beers currently ranked here on BA (never traded and have bought online only once), and there are always good options at the bars and stores in my area.

If anyone else in the NYC area feels differently, then please enlighten me - just my experience.

BKBassist likes this.
  36. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I just recently did my first beer "trade" with some friends on another forum. They've been trading with a number of others on that forum and added me in to the group. I got a box of great beers from FL delivered via FedEx and packed up my shipment back to them (they wanted to ship to me first since this was my first time). I don't have a FedEx close to my house or work so I shipped via UPS, which I've used quite a few times in the past.

The package was scheduled to be delivered today and the tracking said that the box was left on the front porch. My friends were also tracking the package and told me that they were in their garage with the door open when the UPS driver says that they delivered the package and they never even saw a UPS truck go by. The delivery was not made like the driver said. I called UPS and they told me that the package was delivered like it was supposed to be at the correct address.:mad: What a load of BS! The driver either took the package or delivered it to the wrong address. Now my only recourse is to call my local UPS store that I shipped the package through and request that they start an "investigation".

Right now I'm out the $50 for the beers and the $20 for the shipping. It's not a ton of $$ but it still pisses me off.

This is why I don't trade!

And, before anyone asks, I took all of the proper precautions with packaging and shipping my "soy sauce".

37. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (330) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

That is an awfully negative outlook for someone who has never at least tried it before. I have done 3 trades and all have been successful. Talk to the person for a bit before you agree to anything. Feel out the conversation and exchange real names and get to know the person you are trading with so the tension is eased. Once you have done that, set up some trading ground rules i.e. will this trade be $4$ or are you trading based on quantity. Make sure both you and your trading partner have agreed to what will be traded on both ends and that you either have it or know you can get it. Packing is not hard to do and I promise the beer will arrive safely if you wrap them in bubble wrap or heavy paper and pack them tight in a cushioned box. Mark fragile and tell UPS and FedEx that it is fragile and just declare it as wine bottles. It has worked for me every time and UPS even will provide you with $100 of free insurance if your package arrives to the recipient damaged. After you send the package, make sure you send the trackig number to the other person. This is most important as it shows good faith to the person you are trading with. Trading is fun and easy if both sides are genuine about helping each other and the proper steps are taken with care being applied to the process. Follow these steps and trading won't seem as daunting as you make it out to be.

38. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Shipping from here is a real hassle, our Pac & Mail busted me with a box of bottles a few years ago and got away with a stern warning, Since I use them for business almost daily I can't piss them off. And we have no local beers, the best we get are a couple of beers from Santa Fe and Marble.
    Plus, I hav no real interest in seeking out rare beers. I drink what is available wherever I am and don't get caught up in internet forum hype about "must have" beers.

39. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

Pretty much exactly this. Add in the couple of online sources of hassle free out of market purchasing, and I think trading would be more of a hassle than its worth.

And eff yah to Torst. I think I could hit Torst, Brouwerij, Top Hops and Good Beer and be satisfied for life.

40. robwater

robwater Aficionado (240) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

I'm a trading virgin. I'm afraid my bottle might not be big enough.

Seriously though...I'm just lazy and just like the beers enough that I can get myself.

StylzMC likes this.