If you had one day in Denver...

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by MammaGoose, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Wyoming

My boyfriend and I will be taking a weekend trip to Denver in a few weeks. We just have one free day for beer adventures. We're from northern Wyo and don't get to make this trip often. So if you had one day to frolic in Denver breweries, what would be on your must-go-to list? We've been to a few...Avery's, Oskar Blues, Crooked Stave, etc.

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Hmmm. Being a newer sour fan I would say Crooked Stave
    The barrel aged lover in me would say call Great Divide or the others and see whats on tap or cask.

Cheers!

3. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Crusader (407) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

Denver proper or front range (Denver/Boulder/Ft.Collins...)? If it's strictly Denver and you are staying downtown, I would ditch the car and hit Great Divide, Prost, Denver Beer CO and Crooked Stave for Breweries and then spend the rest of my waking hours at Euclid Hall, Freshcraft, Star Bar and Cheeky Monk.

Destral and Mebuzzard like this.
  4. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Grand Pooh-Bah (4,216) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

RiverNorth, too.

poonamibaxter likes this.
  5. harperman69

harperman69 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee

If it was my day, Crooked Stave and River North.

6. schillman

schillman Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2009 New Jersey

Great divide tap room is lovely..

7. MammaGoose

Thanks for the replies, you guys :slight_smile:

We can theoretically make it to Boulder and Ft. Collins and such, but of course, travel wastes time, lol. We're trying to figure out as an efficient itinerary as possible.

Both of us have been to Crooked Stave, and, while we absolutely enjoyed the experience, neither of us are that big into sours. I'd revisit it again if we had more time. But since we're so limited, we've gotta cram new interesting breweries and maybe revisit some favorites. I LOVE Belgian styles, so I really enjoyed Prost. And after looking at Great Divide's tap room list, I'm sure that we'll go there.

I wouldn't mind visiting a few new breweries and then hunkering down at a good tap room to get lots of new beers. As I've mentioned a few times around here, we're so limited on our selection in northern Wyo...Denver is like a playland.

8. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

You should give Fort Collins and Boulder each their own day if you ever make such trips, that isn't even considering travel time.

russpowell likes this.
  9. quine

quine Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2011 Colorado

I thought Prost exclusively brewed German styles?

Bitterbill, Prospero and tacosandbeer like this.
  10. Mebuzzard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's what caught my eye, too. Unless it's 1942 Belgium :slight_smile:

Also hit up the Wynkoop. Solid line up there

MinorThreat likes this.
  11. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

Falling Rock Taphouse.

LoganStegman and WassailWilly like this.
  12. nolimitnsb

nolimitnsb Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2012 Illinois

Dry Dock and Copper Kettle are worth a look too. Dry Dock especially. But if you're going to Dry Dock, Copper Kettle isn't too far away.

mnbuffalo, Bitterbill and denver10 like this.
  13. MammaGoose

Oh jeez...that post was a brainfart. Yes, I love Prost's GERMAN-STYLE beers.

Prospero, Mebuzzard and nolimitnsb like this.
  14. stuart3368

stuart3368 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 Colorado

Hit Hops and Pie for lunch then you can hit Hogshead on 29th and Tennyson, they make a great ESB. Also, De Steeg brewing will be open then, located in the alley way across from the Oriental Theater in 44th and Tennyson.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The SS will be asking the questions schweinhund !

16. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Maven (1,363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

You don't want to be driving past the second stop if you do what I'd do...which is 1) drive from hotel to Wit's End 2) drive from Wit's End to Renegade 3) drive to hotel & stash car 4) walk to Great Divide 5) walk to River North 6) walk to Freshcraft 7) walk to Euclid Hall (just around the corner which is good news by this point where you're probably up to 10 or 11 TOSSBE's (12 oz standard strength beer equivalents)) 8) walk back to hotel.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  17. joshclauss

joshclauss Zealot (689) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado

Trve Brewing is also near downtown. I haven't been over there in awhile, but they did some cool takes on Belgians and everything is solid. Only open late, so check their hours before going. Also, you could ostensibly just stick to River North area and do River North, Great Divide, Our Mutual Friend, and Black Shirt Brewing. I haven't been to OMF yet, but Black Shirt Brewing was pretty impressive on opening night GABF week and I can't wait to get back there.

18. Mebuzzard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They have a record player!!

19. joshclauss

joshclauss Zealot (689) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado

Right. So, I guess if you wear skinny jeans, then go to OMF.

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

alexipa, harperman69 and b0rderman like this.
  20. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

OMF is pretty good. Not my favorite place, but still good. The skinny jeans comment isn't too far off, though. TRVE has been putting out some beers I've loved lately. There isn't a bad beer in the bunch and their Hellion is one of my new favorite beers.
    Wit's End is my favorite taproom and Scott's the nicest guy in the beer biz, seriously.
    Don't sleep on Dry Dock either. They're still cranking out one awesome beer after another. While Bill took some of their German focus with him, their other stuff has continued to be terrific.
    Crooked Stave is epic. No matter what they have on tap, it's good.
    Finally, it's easy to forget them since they're tucked off of I70, but Caution is a great first/last stop when coming from the airport. For a place only open for 9 months, their beers are as polished as anyones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.