1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you had one day in Denver...

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by MammaGoose, Jan 27, 2013.

1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I will be taking a weekend trip to Denver in a few weeks. We just have one free day for beer adventures. We're from northern Wyo and don't get to make this trip often. So if you had one day to frolic in Denver breweries, what would be on your must-go-to list? We've been to a few...Avery's, Oskar Blues, Crooked Stave, etc.

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Hmmm. Being a newer sour fan I would say Crooked Stave
    The barrel aged lover in me would say call Great Divide or the others and see whats on tap or cask.

Cheers!

3. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Denver proper or front range (Denver/Boulder/Ft.Collins...)? If it's strictly Denver and you are staying downtown, I would ditch the car and hit Great Divide, Prost, Denver Beer CO and Crooked Stave for Breweries and then spend the rest of my waking hours at Euclid Hall, Freshcraft, Star Bar and Cheeky Monk.

Destral and Mebuzzard like this.
  4. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

RiverNorth, too.

poonamibaxter likes this.
  5. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

If it was my day, Crooked Stave and River North.

6. Great divide tap room is lovely..

7. MammaGoose

Thanks for the replies, you guys :)

We can theoretically make it to Boulder and Ft. Collins and such, but of course, travel wastes time, lol. We're trying to figure out as an efficient itinerary as possible.

Both of us have been to Crooked Stave, and, while we absolutely enjoyed the experience, neither of us are that big into sours. I'd revisit it again if we had more time. But since we're so limited, we've gotta cram new interesting breweries and maybe revisit some favorites. I LOVE Belgian styles, so I really enjoyed Prost. And after looking at Great Divide's tap room list, I'm sure that we'll go there.

I wouldn't mind visiting a few new breweries and then hunkering down at a good tap room to get lots of new beers. As I've mentioned a few times around here, we're so limited on our selection in northern Wyo...Denver is like a playland.

8. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

You should give Fort Collins and Boulder each their own day if you ever make such trips, that isn't even considering travel time.

russpowell likes this.
  9. quine

quine Savant (260) Colorado Feb 15, 2011

I thought Prost exclusively brewed German styles?

Bitterbill, Prospero and tacosandbeer like this.
  10. Mebuzzard

That's what caught my eye, too. Unless it's 1942 Belgium :)

Also hit up the Wynkoop. Solid line up there

MinorThreat likes this.
  11. denver10

Falling Rock Taphouse.

LoganStegman and WassailWilly like this.
  12. Dry Dock and Copper Kettle are worth a look too. Dry Dock especially. But if you're going to Dry Dock, Copper Kettle isn't too far away.

mnbuffalo, Bitterbill and denver10 like this.
  13. MammaGoose

Oh jeez...that post was a brainfart. Yes, I love Prost's GERMAN-STYLE beers.

Prospero, Mebuzzard and nolimitnsb like this.
  14. stuart3368

stuart3368 Savant (255) Colorado Jan 3, 2011

Hit Hops and Pie for lunch then you can hit Hogshead on 29th and Tennyson, they make a great ESB. Also, De Steeg brewing will be open then, located in the alley way across from the Oriental Theater in 44th and Tennyson.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

The SS will be asking the questions schweinhund !

16. You don't want to be driving past the second stop if you do what I'd do...which is 1) drive from hotel to Wit's End 2) drive from Wit's End to Renegade 3) drive to hotel & stash car 4) walk to Great Divide 5) walk to River North 6) walk to Freshcraft 7) walk to Euclid Hall (just around the corner which is good news by this point where you're probably up to 10 or 11 TOSSBE's (12 oz standard strength beer equivalents)) 8) walk back to hotel.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  17. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Trve Brewing is also near downtown. I haven't been over there in awhile, but they did some cool takes on Belgians and everything is solid. Only open late, so check their hours before going. Also, you could ostensibly just stick to River North area and do River North, Great Divide, Our Mutual Friend, and Black Shirt Brewing. I haven't been to OMF yet, but Black Shirt Brewing was pretty impressive on opening night GABF week and I can't wait to get back there.

18. Mebuzzard

They have a record player!!

19. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Right. So, I guess if you wear skinny jeans, then go to OMF.

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

alexipa, harperman69 and b0rderman like this.
  20. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

OMF is pretty good. Not my favorite place, but still good. The skinny jeans comment isn't too far off, though. TRVE has been putting out some beers I've loved lately. There isn't a bad beer in the bunch and their Hellion is one of my new favorite beers.
    Wit's End is my favorite taproom and Scott's the nicest guy in the beer biz, seriously.
    Don't sleep on Dry Dock either. They're still cranking out one awesome beer after another. While Bill took some of their German focus with him, their other stuff has continued to be terrific.
    Crooked Stave is epic. No matter what they have on tap, it's good.
    Finally, it's easy to forget them since they're tucked off of I70, but Caution is a great first/last stop when coming from the airport. For a place only open for 9 months, their beers are as polished as anyones.

21. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

+1 for Falling Rock. "A couple of weeks" puts you in the target rang for Pliny the Younger. As they say, check your local listings.

22. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Go to Renegade, Great Divide, and River North, if you are doing breweries. Not enough mention of Renegade above, but there tap list is awesome right now, full of belgians and darks, they have really been upping their game lately. I would definitely stop into Hops and Pie, especially if you find yourself in the Highlands, as you can try a ton of different beers because they are one of the few places that actually lets you buy sample pours of anything on tap, also order their Mac 'n Cheese, just WOW!. When you are down there check out Prost and Hogshead, as well, since you are skipping Crooked Stave. Other than that I can only echo what most others have said above. Have fun and let us/me know if you want to meet up for some beers.

23. MammaGoose

Thanks for all the advice :)

I have been to some of these that are being mentioned, but a lot of new ones that sound like they'll be making the list.

Hogshead we liked. Last time we went, they had two ESB's that were essentially the same flavor, but were dry-hopped with two different hop varieties. That was neat, comparing them side by side.

I was a big fan of Prost, I'm not sure how enthusiastic my BF was about it though.

Crooked Stave...we just weren't into it. And I know it gets rave reviews on here. I absolutely appreciated what they were doing, and I was thrilled to have had the chance to try it, but I don't want to waste valuable time trying to force myself to enjoy sours.

Renegade, River North, Great Divide, and Hops and Pie (apparently my guy has been there before and said it's good) all sound like they're going to make the cut.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  24. denver10

I got to hit up Trve the other week and really dug it. That Hellion was really interesting, the more of it I drank the more I enjoyed it. If I could have, I would have probably grabbed a growler of it.

And they played High on Fire the entire time I was there. Automatic win right there.

vfiend and Domingo like this.
  25. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I'll be in Denver in February. Thanks for the recs everyone.

26. Me, too. It appears I'll be traveling to Denver periodically. I stay in the DTC area. Are any of the better brewpubs near DTC?

27. Slattery's or make the short drive to Dry Dock I'd say.

28. MammaGoose

Well, I'm back with a trip report!!! We technically spent three days. Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon were all devoted to Denver brew appreciation.

Friday night:
    We went to Renegade Brewing Co. The scene was pretty loud and boisterous. Normally I like mingling, but after a long drive after a full work day, I wasn't really feeling it. So my guy and I had some gyros that we had picked up in a corner (the bar and tables were all full). We ordered a white stout (I couldn't contain my curiosity) and a triple IPA. Both were good. The white stout was kinda odd...peanutbuttery. Then we decided to find somewhere quieter, so we ventured to what I believe was simply called The Ale House. They had a lot of delicious things on tap, but again, very crowded party and expensive-looking dining. Sooo...we went to Wynkoop Brewing Co downtown. It was much quieter and more relaxed. We had a few more beers there including the rocky mountain oyster stout, a Belgian double IPA, the pale ale, etc. All solid, not mind blowing. Then we headed in for the night. Normally we're not such party poopers, but it had been a long day.

Saturday:
    We picked up a 7 bombers and two sixers at a liquor store...there were a few from Stone, Boulevard's Sixth Glass Belgian strong ale...honestly, at that point we were kind of pressed for time and just picked up a few we hadn't tried before. Saturday evening we started off at Falling Rock Tap House where we got to try Pliny the Elder!!! At $7/pint, I was happy to pay for it. It was as delicious as I would have imagined. Then we went to River North which I really enjoyed. I love Belgian styles, and the atmosphere was really laid back. Small quiet tap room, and the bartender was a very sweet gal who was clearly passionate about beer. We sampled their quad and double IPA and imperial stout among other things. All tasty. Then we went to Breckenridge Tap House. Honestly, my taste buds were mildly impaired at that point. So we got some beers that didn't really blow my mind, but weren't bad either. I stole a cupcake from some guy's birthday party thing that had bacon on it.

Sunday:
    We revisited River North and had the oak barrel aged imperial wit. It was excellent. Wits are kind of my guilty pleasure, and this one was definitely an amplified example of the style. Then we went to Great Divide. Honestly, I'm sad that we didn't get to stay there longer. The place had a great atmosphere with a good view of the brewery, a busy bar, but enough tables and space to spread out. The beer was incredible. I had the seasonal version of Yeti...Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout...which was probably the best stout I've ever had. And also Hercules Double IPA. I reeeeaaaallllly wish we had spent more time there.

Whew, sorry for the long winded report. It was a great trip. I enjoyed frolicking in the land of brews. But I'm SO glad to be home in our quiet little Wyoming town. I can only take about 36 hours max in a city...good beer or not. :)

joshclauss likes this.
  29. Mebuzzard

For some reason, this stands out as awesome!

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for stopping in; next time you can add some more places :eek:

SkeeterBoganski likes this.
  30. I work in DTC too, there's not alot right now, but there will be a Parry's opening on Holly & Orchard in the near future... will probably have 40+ taps.
    You could go down a few exits to Lone Tree Brewing, the Yard House at Park Meadows, or the Parry's in Highlands Ranch. Or drive the other direction to Dry Dock or the Rackhouse.

31. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

I got back yesterday. Loved Avery's and Great Divide. Mountain Sun had some of the best tasting IPAs I tried while there and good food as well. Had a blast at Crooked Stave despite not being the biggest fan of sours. While there I saw that the brewers had just opened a case of Hopslam I kind of walked back there and started chatting them up. They ended up giving one of their Hopslams while we talked about Midwest vs. Colorado beers. Overall, I had a blast in Denver/Boulder. So much so that I gonna try to relocate there this fall.

Mebuzzard likes this.
  32. This is one of my favorite beers in town right now, glad you tried it (and liked it).

33. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

So now you've been twice.. I'll be in Denver 2 nights this week...
    What was your Fav place to have a craft brew ? I'm staying downtown. Or favorite 3 ..

34. Domingo

Right now I think the breweries putting out the best beers (near downtown) are Prost, Crooked Stave, and probably TRVE. Wit's End would probably be next on my lists just because I love going there.
    River North's stuff also rocks, although because their bottles are common enough, there isn't as much motivation to visit their tasting room, at least to me.

35. SFACRKnight

Any idea when TRVE rotates their oolong saison back into their lineup?

36. Domingo

Good question. That stuff is pretty terrific. I was last there 2 weeks ago and the bartender told me that they plan to have at least 6 taps all of the time. Their Facebook pages has mentioned that they're brewing up a ton of beers right now, too. I'm hoping it'll be soon. I'm personally fond of their two table/session beers, Hellion and Death Ripper. Driving there is a hassle for me, so it's nice to be able to drink more than a glass or two before I have to cut myself off. The fact that both taste like a million bucks is even better.

37. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Hops and Pie is awesome, I'd hit if for lunch and order a sandwich. Their bun/bread is amazing. Grab some beers there then head downtown for the rest of the day/night

38. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Great Divide, Freshcraft, Prost, Renegade, Star Bar, Wynkoop

39. denver10

I really dug Hellion too. Was hoping to try the Death Ripper when I was down in Denver the other week but all they had on tap was the Tunnel of Trees IPA, Wanderlust BPA, and StoutO))). All good stuff so I shouldn't complain.

And loving the soundtrack to that place. They blasted Graveyard's 'Hisingen Blues' the entire time I was there. Can't go wrong with good music and good beer.

40. SFACRKnight

Good to hear. have you joined their growler crew? They are way out of my way for daily driving, so I want to hit them up and take some home, but the website describes their CVLT, and the description is pretty muddled. I have no idea what it takes to get a growler there because of it.