1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you had the opportunity to start a brewery...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Dec 27, 2012.

1. What would you call it? and what would be the styles and names of your pilot beers?

Personally I think i would call my brewery Vixens and Sirens. Our logo would be a very voluptuous Mermaid ( that looked nothing like the scuttlebutt mermaid to avoid copyright infringement issues). We would issue three Pilot beers. Whimsical Wench which would be a complex Stout, Voracious Vixen which would be a red American style amber, and Surely Siren which would be a Pale ale rich with hops.

2. i'd call it "rules 29 and 30."

slinkie, Sarlacc83, brewsader and 9 others like this.
  3. i read the list of guidelines, Is this thread somehow violating a guideline?

4. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

I'd learn to spell Surly before production (and then get ready for a Cease & Desist order from Surly Brewing):

Surly:
    1: menacing or threatening in appearance <surly weather>
    2obsolete: arrogant, imperious
    3: irritably sullen and churlish in mood or manner : crabbed

Unless you really wanted Surely:
    1: in a sure manner:

aarchaic: without danger or risk of injury or loss : safely

b (1): with assurance : confidently <answered quickly and surely> (2): without doubt : certainly <they will surely be heard from in the future — R. J. Lifton>
    2: indeed, really —often used as an intensive <you surely don't believe that>

5. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I have been thinking about working on my home brews more. The one thing I would do is make a style/flavor in my area that is not readily availible here. Example would be an IPA like Harpoon that is easy to drink. (cant buy Harpoon in AZ)

So if I was to start a brewery it would have similar ideas. Cater to new tastes for our area and make quality beer.

kneary13 likes this.
  6. I think I'd do a brewpub.

I like when brewpubs do a local flare- and I would probably name it after a local landmark. The best place
    I live around a bunch of lakes so a lot of the beers would probably be named after those. Fishing is also really popular around here-so something like Walleye Wheat would be suitable too.
    There's an awesome local fresh meat store/meat market about 2 miles from me so we would get a lot or menu items from there- lots of chicken, pork, and beef dishes. Plenty of farms and farmers markets around too for fresh fruits and veggies.

The tap list would probably look like this:
    Rotating:
    Rotating lager tap (bock, dopplebock, eisbock, roggenbock,wiezenbock, dortmunder, marzen, eurp dark lager...etc)
    Wheat Ale Tap (probably seasonal-the spicy winter white seems to go well with winter, hoppy wheat for the summer, more traditional for spring and fall like a witbier for spring hefeweizen for fall)
    Low Key tap: rotating interesting for beer history yet somewhat boring in flavor styles to attract the BMC crowd- light lager, Kolsch, Cream Ale, Steam Beer, euro lager
    High ABV brew: DIPA, Imperial Stouts, Strong Ales, Belgians, Scotch Ale-etc.
    Barrel Aged Beer- Stouts, Sours, Wheatwines, Strong Ales, DIPAs-whatever.
    Monthly: January-Russian Imperial Stout February- American Imperial Stout or red fruit lambic, March-Irish Red Ale or Irish Dry Stout, April-Saison, May- Maibock, June- Witbier, July- German Pilsner, August- Belgian IPA, September- Octoberfest, October- Pumpkin Ale, November- Fresh hop pale ale or IPA, December- Winter Warmer
    Exmierimental Beer: Fruit beer, hybrids, adding indgedients to traditional styles, sours, Kvass- anything you don't find traditionally at a brewpub
    The standards:
    IPA- a nice bright flavorful grapefruit/pine IPA with little lingering bitterness
    Porter - it has to be robust and full of flavor- most breweries around here use a porter as their flagship beer.
    American Pale Ale- A nice blonde hoppy classic APA

7. freeride

freeride Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 18, 2012

Geesh, put a little more thought into your replies. :p

8. lol. Obviously I've been dreaming about this for awhile.

mecummins, Higy, FanofHefe and 2 others like this.
  9. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I would name it Super Epic Whales and I would only release 100 bottles a month at $350 a bottle and it would be barrel aged, waxed dipped and hand signed and bottled. I would release it on random days at the brewery only so people had to wait outside to get it. Though it probably wouldn't be that great, it would be super rare and could pull in some major whales in trading

10. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

LARGE FORMAT ONLY, SUPER RARE STYLES YOUVE NEVER HEARD OF, 30 DOLLAR GROWLERS, BIG ON SOCIAL MEDIA

11. If I had enough dollars - and being an old fart - I would seek to buy the rights (and recipe) for Falstaff to tap into the nostalgia market. And look into how much it would cost to buy the rights to Ballantine Ale (and older Ballantine labels and recipes). And maybe a few nostalgic vehicles for delivery purposes. And as I love the Dahlonega, Ga. area, perhaps some gold rush-related craft brands brewed in that area.

For any plans beyond that, I would have to give it some more thought, while I wait to win a large lottery to fund these dreams. :)

12. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

Can I just work for your brewery? I don't have any better ideas

13. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

Ooh, Archaic Ale. I like it.

14. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I dunno what I would call it or the beers, but I would like to make Belgian-style beers

15. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

I'd put it in the heavy duty cans and pull tab tops. Oh and name every beer after a Led Zeppelin song

The Lemon Song Summer Shandy(cause when you squeeze my lemon....)
    Tangerine Topper
    Black Dog Stout
    Stairway to Heaven Utopia's
    I Can't Quit U IPA
    What is and What Should Never Be Pale Ale
    Kashmir Dust
    When the Levee Breaks (by the growler only)
    D'yer Maker Barleywine
    Ten Years Gone Vertical Epic
    The Beer Remains the Same

16. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Greatest band ever. Let's make this happen

Haydn-Juby and Reinbeck11 like this.
  17. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I've thought about this often. Wanting to promoted the Pennsylvania-ness of my beers, Ruffed Grouse is one that I think of a lot. Or that'd be the name of one of my beers at least. The other thought is my name here.

"ISO : Hey Jim Ruffed Grouse IPA"

18. I'd call it Rustled Jimmies and I would have a huge presence on BA.

19. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Lol i was gonna say the same thing.

I'm drawing a blank here but i would probably call it, Balls Deep Brewing, Just cuz it sounds hard. ;)

I'm gonna have to ponder this and get back to you.

20. uptomonto

uptomonto Disciple (60) Indiana Dec 15, 2012

Is anyone actually planning to do any of the above? Just curious.

21. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Well I think manufacturing of the heavy cans and pull tabs would be prohibitive, let alone the lawsuits by representatives of Led Zeppelin may cause my plans to be railroaded..... Not to mention how the Brewers would feel about my little play on names

I don't know about drinking anything from balls deep but I'd go there if I had two.....

And I'd hate to see a collaborative effort between Balls Deep and Gay Donkey... things could get real ugly

22. uptomonto

uptomonto Disciple (60) Indiana Dec 15, 2012

If there was ever a band to theme your brewery after - I can't argue with Led Zeppelin.

Going to California California Common
    "Bring it on Home" special = returned growler refill discount

Reinbeck11 and Winston_Smith like this.
  23. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

no doubt brewed with Misty Mountain Hops?

24. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

AWESOME! "The Beer Remains the Same" must be an American lager, right?

Blueribbon666 and Reinbeck11 like this.
  25. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Altex Brewing named after my grandpa's old business.

I'd start with a great porter, brown ale and dopplebock.... because I love those styles..ha.

26. Brewpub with 24 beers and No crap on tap and maybe 100 bottles. as for a name European Bier Haus

27. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

My ten year plan involves a BBQ Brewpub, specializing in Lagers.
    ~Phil

fx20736 likes this.
  28. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Wreckless Brewing. I actually think a brew pub would be more fun to start with...

Pub Ale - exclusively available on cask every day of the week replicating the way it was done before nitro-taps came along. Highly drinkable with a modest ABV.
    Six Shooter Pale Ale - six hop additions during the boil.
    12 Gauge IPA - twelve hop additions. (did someone say 'citra'?)

There would of course be a stout/porter option or a hoppy brown ale and seasonals. Ahhh, I can dream.

29. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

I'd call mine Psychopomp and I would brew Belgian Strong Dark Ales with the following pilot names:

Xolotl
    Itztli
    Xocotl
    Tezcatlipoca

30. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Jame Hole and Co.

AK
    PA
    KK
    XK
    EIP
    SS
    SSS
    IBSt
    54/-
    140/-

The names tell you what the styles are.

31. Perhaps i would purposely misspell it to avoid copyright infringements ;). Furthermore I would commission tyson cadoo from lowbrow art to create my bottle artwork . He draws the most fabulous ladies!

32. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

My friend's Furious clone is called Surely Curious.

In my imaginary brewpub (actually am planning on doing it when I "retire", but not with this idea lol) I would expand from our best hb beer now, Hop Psychotic IIPA, to a whole line of mental defects beers.
    Manic Marzen
    Personality Disorder Porter
    Alzheimers Pale Ale
    Dementia Double Stout
    Multiple Personality Black and Tan
    Paranoia Pilsener
    OCD Wild Ale
    etc.

The pub would be named Liquid Therapy

franklinn likes this.
  33. Why would I post my multi billion dollar ideas on a public forum.

Here's one:
    Non alcoholic IPA called Mormon Juice.

34. Also another one:

Jim Jones Barleywine; an 18% barleywine aged in young pinot noir barrels and then hit with brettanomyces during bottle conditioning.

dieBlume likes this.
  35. I'd dig the Zeppelin theme if spmeone else did it - me, I'd be more apt to start a 4AD-themed brewery, which I'd call It'll End In Beers, featuring:

Milk & Honey milk stout (with, um, honey)
    Lonely Is An IPA
    Stars On E.S.B.
    Pale Saint Pale Ale
    The Wind That Shakes barleywine
    Dig For Fire rauchbier (okay, this one is kinda weak)

If I ever lacked immediate inspiration for a beer name, the Cocteau Twins catalog is an easy muse.

36. Hot Ham Water - Rauchbier
    Me Myself and IPA- India Pale Ale
    Mic Czech - Czech Pils
    Law and Porter- Porter

SadMachine likes this.
  37. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

I can't think of a name for the brewery, but I'd do something similar to HF and name my bears after family members that have influenced my life.

38. Like Grizzly ,Kodiak and Polar perhaps ? :D

39. i can't be the only one who is eager to meet juicy hill. she is number three prostitute in all of vermont.