1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you had the opportunity to start a brewery...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

2. Groomsy

Groomsy Savant (350) Kentucky Sep 23, 2010

I'd probably do a brewpub/Third Wave coffee shop hybrid called Twice Brewed.

Chamoweizen - A traditional hefeweizen brewed with chamomile leaves.
    Rooibos Red Ale - A piney, earthy pale ale infused with Rooibos tea.
    Brave Murder Day (in homage to Katatonia) - Imperial Stout aged on coffee roasted by yours truly. :)
    Longshank's Fall - Scotch Ale
    Bubba Goat - Bock
    Red Legs Helles - A Helles lager brewed in tribute of the Cincinnati Reds.
    Turning Point IPA - American IPA in tribute to Superjoint Ritual.

3. Cold-Blooded Ales

Salamander Stout - Bold, roasty American Stout
    Ol' Tortoise - Russian Imperial Stout
    Python Porter - Robust American Porter
    Viper's Venom IPA - Strong citrus kick with a mild caramel backbone
    Beardie's Bold Brown - Super nutty brown ale
    Terribilis Imperial IPA - 100+ IBU Hop bomb

That's my pipedream.

DHS1029 likes this.
  4. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Not sure what I'd call it but for the first yearor so I would brew only DIPA's, and Sours to guarantee I'd be popular with the new wave of craft beer drinkers. I'd overhop the shit out of my IPA's or throw any kind of bacteria you can think of into barrels to sour my stuff. I'd instantly win medals at GABF, and my brewery would be "all the rage" and would have a day named after it, and all that jive.

5. Don't forget to make only enough so that supply does not meet demand, thus assuring a properly functioning hype machine.

BGrider85 likes this.
  6. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Most definitely. I will have no explanation when asked why I can't make my beers available all the time and it won't matter because they will be universally loved regardless. And I promise, the limited availability will have NO role in any of this.

7. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I'd open a brewpub called Moobs, at which all the servers would be hairy, rotund middle-aged beer geek dudes in undersized Daisy Dukes and halter tops.

8. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

All sour brewery, using a coolschip stationed out in the middle of Oregon wine country. Not only would I reap the reward of the terroir, but in the process, I might contaminate some wine with brettanomyces "accidentally".

9. Despite my beer advocate roots, I'd cater my brewery to the macro beer drinking masses and call it "SportsBrew". In fact, I'm really surprised there isn't already an ESPN "The Beer" or something equivalent.

The beers would nearly all be pale lagers with a few more tasty options mixed in. The names of all the brews would be based off of famous sporting events, ballparks/arenas or even Hall of Fame players (I'm willing to pay royalties). A few examples might be...

Thrilla in Manila Pilsner
    Downtown Freddie Brown Ale
    360 Slam Dunkel
    Aucherbach Red Ale
    Triple Play Tripel
    Dan Fouts Stout
    Bobby Orr's Oud Bruin

I welcome others...

10. My buddy and I are starting to work up a business plan to take our homebrewing to the next level... potentially starting a nano or microbrewery. What are the 3-5 flagship beers that you would want to see year round to anchor things? I'm trying to balance what would actually sell well to the public to keep the funding coming... vs. the creative part of me that wants to do huge DIPA's, Belgian's, Strong ales, and off the wall stuff.

11. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

The normal stuff... a pale ale, an IPA, a stout/porter... maybe a fruit beer (for the ladies) and/or a wheat beer (for those that are serious macro drinkers), too.

12. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I'd create a Quint by eisbocking a Quad.

smchenry75 likes this.
  13. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Nugget Nectar clone because it is incredible. Can it and offer year round.

14. A Stout, wheat, APA, IPA, and Porter are going to be the flagship brews in a brewpub a few friends and I plan to open some years down the road. That is, these will always be on tap, then between 2-4 taps for seasonal experimental.

Of course this is for a brewpub, not brewery.

15. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Barrel Aged Gumballhead Clone

16. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

Find your identity. Find breweries that match said identity/inspire you. Use their lineup as a guideline.

17. I say microbrewery but I'm thinking microbrewery with tasting room and food trucks as is the trend in central Indiana at the moment so not quite a full fledged brewpub... but will probably try and make the majority of revenue off of pint sales and growler fills the first couple of years vs. trying to enter distribution. For those that mention clones... I have been asking myself this question a lot. To what extent is it okay to brew and sell a "clone" recipe or one with minor tweaking. To the point about Nugget Nectar... we don't get that in Indiana and all of my friends go crazy for it - so why not brew a "clone" of it... or does that violate a code of ethics... or at the least just isn't cool.

18. I see no ethical issues with it. If you can produce something similar that people will enjoy drinking...then kudos and a pat on the back to you. There are a finite number of ingredients in a specific style of beer anyway, and even without attempting to "clone" a brew you can produce something similar. Now, if you were to extract the exact recipe out of them, then start brewing their beer...

19. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

I have fantasized about my brewery ever since I started home brewing. I would call it "Sixth Floor Brewing Co." I was living on the sixth floor of an apartment building when I brewed my first beer, plus I think its a sexy name.