1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you were to host a bad beer tasting party...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Meaning you would find beers on this site that were unique in a bad way and invite some BA's to try them with you. if i was hosting said party, i would probably reward my minions with some free good beer for agreeing to taste the so called bad beers and review them. That being said what beers would you get your hands on to review?
    that being said i would start with:
    Raspberry Ale - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

2. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (250) California Dec 10, 2010

3. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (735) California Dec 15, 2012

Sea Dog Raspberry Wheat Ale!! I had it sometime last week. I like Raspberry Ice Tea, and Raspberry in general, but this beer was incredibly wretched. It was overly sweet, almost wine cooler-esque. But, the worst part was that awful fruity aftertaste would not go away for hours!

Maybe we should stay away from all Raspberry stuff in the future...

4. Not really a bad idea. for the most part. lindemans frambois, dogfish head forte and the great divide rasberry ale back up this statement!

5. Short's Neapolitan Milk Stout. Someone brought a bottle to a BA tasting a few months ago, and the best description someone came up with was "it tastes like an ashtray full of regret - so, Las Vegas at 4:30AM."

krl2112 likes this.
  6. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

chilli beer is a requirement!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/677/38763

and OP: if you are doing this i'll ship you some for free...i live like 20 miles away from where its made

and they even have it at big box hell:
    http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=133

All i want back is:

(1) BA posted pics of the ppl drinking it...im dreaming of those "bitter beer face" commercials from the 1990s for Keystone
    (2) video of somebody finishing one and eating the beast inside

and FWIW aged DFH Fort is among the best beers ever made.... get soem thats been around 3 - 5 years....

7. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Oude tart

I would preface the pour with LOL HAY GUYZ, IT COSTS 20 BUX AND ITS FROM TEH BRUERY!11!11!

Then cackle as they all gagged and poured the shit down the toilet.

Oh wait, I've already done that.

Can I have my twenty dollars back?

hardy008 likes this.
  8. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

You sir, are tripping. Oude Tart is absolutely delicious. I would have to go with Sam Adams Triple Bock.

Edit: Also, Tioga/Sequoia's Chile beer is something worth trying...just not worth trying a second time...unless you're making a red beer out of it.

davelag, jdhende, ao125 and 4 others like this.
  9. YogiBeer

Did you eat nothing but crabapples soaked in cider vinegar for the entirety of your life before trying oude tart? If you liked it, then you need to drink real sours. If you had a different batch than mine and mine was super fucked, then I'm sorry.

10. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

I've had many sours, "real" sours as well... also been on BA for longer than 7 months (cough). The reviews and sales of this beer speak for themselves. I understand that there are highly rated beers out there that people don't care for, but making this beer out to being pure awful is just ignorant.

Edit: This was meant to be a reply to YogiBeer

Naterobsnyk4, davelag, aasher and 2 others like this.
  11. YogiBeer

No but you dont understand, I've had tons of sours. Loved 99% of them.

No Carb, No flavor, No depth, tasted like pure crabapple. WAS MINE WRONG!??!?!?!?!?1 WHY DONT I GET THIS BEER?!?!?!?!??!?!!?

PS: Join date means literally next to nothing. At All. Ever. (cough)

PPS: Do you have access to their sales numbers?

Schwantz likes this.
  12. luwak

Its hip to hate Oude Tart. It's a good beer. nothing outrageous.
    it does require some attention though...that's a good thing

tarawho and brewbetter like this.
  13. YogiBeer

I'm not doing it to be hip, I swear. 100% honest

hardy008 and Schwantz like this.
  14. Might be a possibility. Wow that sounds like a novelty and absolutely horrid. Excellent!

15. luwak

well for the fun of it... i'm serious...so if you ver have this crapbeerfest let me know a week or so in advance.
    but i travel a lot so maybe a little more than that

16. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

All glasses must be frosted.

Edit...don't forget an infected 09 Abyss. Which y'all then must make a video review.

luwak likes this.
  17. checktherhyme likes this.
  18. I have the full lineup of Two Brothers 15 Beers for 15 Years just waiting for such an event.

19. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Go ahead and invite Shipyard to that party.

20. That nasty Rogue stuff in the pink bottle, you will also need to get the other stomach stuff in the pink bottle.

21. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Every "with lime" beer on the market. If you can get past the smell, the taste...wow.

ESeab likes this.
  22. Sure it wasn't Saugatuck? I haven't seen a Neapolitan from Short's. I've still got a couple of the Saugatuck Neapolitan Milk Stouts in my fridge at the house. Nothing mind blowing, but I don't find it to be super terrible, either. I think it was a decent attempt to wrap up 3 flavor profiles into one beer.

szmnnl99, Zaphog, gustogasmic and 4 others like this.
  23. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (300) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

Agreed. I had one last year that was going on 6 years old and it was fantastic.

luwak and WassailWilly like this.
  24. ANY bad beer tasting would have to include this abomination of a vile mess:

Wild Blue Lager

25. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

26. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If you were to host such a tasting, you MUST acquire a bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock for it.

28. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

29. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Don't forget the Cherry Wheat

hardy008 likes this.
  30. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I would host a DRINK LOCAL party and have to exclude a handful of beers, but the rest would be par for the course. ;)

tarawho likes this.
  31. This one would change your mind. Raspberries are my fave fruit, even got a bush of it in my yard so i'm picky with raspberry in beers but this is the best by far.

32. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

Neapolitan Milk Stout is made by Saugatuck not Short's. I don't think that it is a bad beer, but to each his own.

Charkoota Rye by New Holland - Some people like this one, but I thought it was awful. The flavors linger, and you can't get rid of the smokey bacon beer taste from your mouth.

StoutHunter, szmnnl99 and gustogasmic like this.
  33. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Blind smell test:

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

The one that burns your nostrils is the Crème Brûlée.

34. Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! - Rogue Ales
    And any other beer with peanut butter as well.

35. I'm gonna go ahead and call this one out.

[​IMG]

nasty jalapeno beer with a damn pepper in the bottle.

kojevergas, mwar and mikeburd1128 like this.
  36. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

37. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Witnessed my wife's drunk cousin drink 6 oz of this, in one swig. Her face was priceless, and her stories of the next morning were even better!!!

ColdOne and luwak like this.
  38. A 40 of steel reserve. Warm.

Jazzman27 and hardy008 like this.
  39. This thread, as with all the worst beer threads are awesome. This is great though because I just started putting together a list of the beers I am going after to host such a tasting. This is definitely going to help.