1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you were to host a bad beer tasting party...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout. I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to beers, including fruit ones. That stuff is horrible.
    landrewg likes this.
  2. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (480) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

A pepper? That looks like a damn decomposing finger. Fingernail on it and all.
    oldp0rt, JxExM, MikeWard and 2 others like this.
  3. yes!
  4. one chilli beer per party, the point is to gag not get sick !
  5. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I could never host one, I like my friends. :D I have been to many of my relatives (get together there not really parties) have and its bud & bud lite lime for the win. I BYOB if I go. I try not to go.:p
  6. Wild Blue beer is one of the only times my body physically rejected somthing I put in it. I swallowed and it came right back up. Putrid...

That being said, I really like the idea of doing a "Bad Beer Tasting". Everyone has a few bottles that they are sitting on becasue they have heard/read bad things. I know I do.
  7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I don't remember seeing Special Brew on that label. Special" must be a new word for heinous... Think beer and tomato juice is kind of a common "prepared beer" depending on where you are, but Clamato by itself is just...well..."special"...
  8. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

If you can still get your hands on Delirium Noel, it was, in one word, vile. BA reviews have as just OK, but I'm pretty sure that you could use it to torture prisoners instead of water boarding.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/2347.jpg
  9. 21st Amendment Fireside Chat
    hardy008 and MAbeerNE1 like this.
  10. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Those Micheladas dont look too bad next to that Sam Adams, but I am sure the cranberry is much better than their cherry wheat. I am not certain but I imagine Cherry Wheat and chit taste a lot alike!!
  11. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I would have "infected beers" at my tasting, I've had 2009 Abyss, & 2012 Peruvian morning and these have been some of my all-time favorites!! Maybe I just got lucky tho!
  12. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Just grab one out of each of the 6's that I don't recognize the name of at Trader Joe's
  13. Not as bad as I was expecting. Still the best pizza beer I have had to date...
  14. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Savant (345) Iowa Dec 3, 2010

I recommend Mikkeller's Black Hole Peat Whiskey Edition. It is offensive in ways that words fail to communicate.​
  15. My first thought as well, glad someone else has gone through this misery.
  16. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Lost coast tangerine...wasn't expecting to be drinking flat orange soda.
    DrDemento456 likes this.
  17. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Having just had Idiot's Drool, it is an absolute requirement. And I'm told it's somehow gotten worse over time.
    mjw52 and flexabull like this.
  18. Funny thing is I had a cask version where the ginger was minimal and it was ok, I tried a can once though...

19. I really like the simplicity of the can, but that beer is BAD!
    Onenote81 and ColdOne like this.
  20. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (365) New York Jan 19, 2013

Yeah. And not "Michael Jackson" BAD, either. Just plain BAD.

MADhombrewer likes this.
  21. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (345) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. ICK!
    cwreay90 likes this.
  22. Anything by Davidson. Bought a mix 12 last summer and it was all bad beer.

Enjoy
  23. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

You can't have one of these tastings without having Darklord.
    YogiBeer, cavedave and youbrewidrink like this.
  24. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Off topic, but don't give up on trying peanut butter beers. A guy in our hb club brewed one that was the hit of the last meeting. We all, myself included, plan to try our hands at it now. Delicious. No banana in it though.

And OP, if you want to make this easy, just have the tasting at Gilded Otter in New Paltz, NY, and order anything.
    tobelerone likes this.
  25. Agreed. There are quite a few good/great Peanut Butter beers out there. Definitely don't give up on them due to Rogue's poor efforts at it.
  26. Wow, the Otter sure has declined, hasn't it?
  27. johncosta60

johncosta60 Zealot (90) New Jersey Jun 30, 2012

Rogue Chiptole Ale, that is just awful in so many ways.
  28. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Don't have a strictly bad beers tasting. Do a good beer-bad beer tasting instead where you alternate. It will help calm the murderous rage building from drinking so many truly awful beers consecutively.
  29. Phoenix Ale Company - Any. Somehow this poison is served at our D-backs games.

Throw Old World Brewering beers on that list as well.
  30. Roudy

Roudy Savant (295) Georgia Aug 20, 2009

Here's a partial shot of my old beer can collection. The Giant Food Premium Beer came out at the time that generic brands were becoming popular (early 80's). I didn't have a very sophisticated palate then, but I knew enough to drain pour this after a sip or two.
    [​IMG]
    luwak likes this.
  31. Agreed. I feel like this sounds like a good idea on paper, but after the second or third one, I seriously doubt I'd have any desire to continue.
  32. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

How is his join date at all relevant to the matter? He's got more posts than you in 1/4 the amount of time strengthen your e-muscles brah.
  33. Yup, Wild Blue. It's beyond awful.
  34. Midnight sun Treat- so many on the shelves here they should give the rest away so I don't have to look at them anymore
    Bitch please
  35. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (250) New York Aug 15, 2012

Definitely Steel Reserve

Porkslap, great label...bad beer
  36. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I used to enjoy their beer before the owner cheaped out, and now it is just awful. Food's still good though.
  37. It just goes to show that you can't fool all the people all of the time. How did the owner cheap out?
    cavedave likes this.
  38. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Aficionado (200) Michigan Jul 14, 2012

Agree with both of these comments.. I love the Neapolitan Milk Stout, and couldn't take more than 2 sips of the Charkoota Rye. Worst. beer. ever.
    adamdd likes this.
  39. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I second Oude Tart's inclusion. I pray age makes it better.
  40. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Pretty confused why there would be a party for the purpose of intentionally tasting bad beer.