1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

If you were to host a bad beer tasting party...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 22, 2013.

1. I am going to go with New Holland's Charkoota Rye. I know some who like it, but I do not care for this beer at all.

adamdd likes this.
  2. Funny, I actually thought it had improved ever so slightly since the last time I had it (about a year ago). I think I may have preferred it to Chez Monieux.

3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Dropped every costly to make beer they used to make, most notably their fantastic Barleywine and Imperial Stout, and now use (from what I hear from others so take this as second hand info) the cheapest ingredients and quickest techniques to make their beers. Their Alt which was a favorite of mine, used to be fruity and clean and tasty, the last two visits it was a shadow of itself, and the second of those visits the Alt had an undertaste of sewage, which may be the lines, though that hardly excuses them. Three Pines IPA, another favorite, is now my least favorite English IPA, it is underhopped, poorly hopped, and you can taste the low quality of the malt versus the MO they used to use.

Got 3 mill? You can buy it. Wish I had the cash, that all copper system in there could make some tasty beer in the right hands.

4. How in the fug is Oude Tart mentioned more than Big Sky Kriek in this thread?

Hell in a handbasket. . .

luwak and cavedave like this.
  5. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

All you really need is Shipyard Pumpkin Ale and spit buckets. That's an abomination of a beer.

6. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

NMS is a Saugatuck Brewing co. beer.

7. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

The Gambler by Short's. Pretty sure they use real Gambler tobacco (the 99 cents a bag stuff) because that's what it tastes like

This years Lambeek wants Blood Orange and Lambeek wants Dragonfruit- the Dark Horse sours that went all turpentine on us...

8. All these beers with funny non-beer flavored flavors seem like missing the point to me. I'll bet it's easy to make a orange zest vanilla infused creamsicle beer taste lousy. I think the tasting would be most instructive if you eliminated those and all the cheap adjunct lagers and stuck with stuff like the above mentioned Porkslap, which are honest and well intentioned but just criminally weak attempts at making straight ahead craft beer. For example, somebody else will have to bring a bottle of this swill, on which I wasted a whole $5 when it showed up at a shop near me. I'm sure as hell not buying it again.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/73496

9. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I hear Minhas does some of the worst North American craft beer out there. With their reputation, how are they still in business?

10. With a tarnished reputation, good luck to the cheap owner getting 3 mil.
    In other news, do you ever get down to DeCicco's in Brewster?

11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

You mean that supermarket just off 84, with the crazy fine beer selection in their coolers, and great craft pub up front, where Andrew, Nate, and Vinnie work? Nope.;)

12. That's exactly where I mean. You scare me.

cavedave likes this.
  13. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm pretty sure Ta Henket would be the centerpiece. What an abysmal beer.

14. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I disliked moo thunder too http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13302/36056

Is is wrong of me to really want to try voodoo donut maple bacon just because of all of its glorious reviews on this site? I probably would perish in the process....

15. Everyone i know who has tried it can't undo the mental trauma of its taste memory ;).

16. It isn't that bad...Chelada I imagine would be way worse.

17. Moo thunder wasn't as bad as pork slap. At least I drank Moo Thunder. Voodoo maple donut bacon crap is just a novelty beer. Butternuts Beer and Ales have bad beer, but those could at least get better if they tweaked the recipe a little.

18. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

If I wasn't allergic to shellfish, I'd try chelada in a flash. with a voodoo chaser :D I laughed so hard when it dawned on me that chelada was popular enough to have regular and lite versions.

As for moo thunder, it definitely wasn't chelada level, but I did only drink 20% before a drain pour. Never tried pork slap (because while I'm a sucker for a good cartoon can, I am still a porter/ stout girl. so cow won out over pig.)

19. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Mix the two pink bottles together, and you get Pepto Rogue-mal.

youbrewidrink likes this.
  20. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

All of those southern tier black water series. They are awful

21. I'd celebrate the entire Sixpoint catalog for one night only I was hosting a bad beer tasting party.

22. For the record to those who are concerned people will get sick or give up, by no means would anyone be imbibing an entire disaster beer to themselves ( unless they wanted to). i would probably dole the beer out into 4 ounce samples.

23. Though there appears to be bottle variation (or people without a nose): http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/42157

I'll pluck some of my favorite review notes:

• Smells...Fucking stinks. Jesus anal farts, diacetyl, feet, popcorn, rotten corn and a bit of pinot.
    • S: Blue cheese and bile.
    • The combination of blue cheese, body funk, and vinegar are not entirely pleasant.

Edit: The bottle I opened was pure blue cheese and almost undrinkable. (And I like blue cheese.)
    Edit2: I have another bottle for trade if anyone wants it.

24. Can't forget Crazy Stallion. Tastes just like you bit into a golf club.

25. KBS, BCBS, CBS, BA Dark Lord, Parabola, Event Horizon, and Hunahpu . . . sorry thought you asked for a bad ass tasting.

Just kidding, not sure how to answer your question.

26. robwater

robwater Aficionado (240) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

[​IMG]

The bottle is killer...

27. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I wouldn't consider Porkslap bad. Bland though.

28. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I could be wrong, but no one has mention White Birch yet???

Also, some of the worst beers I have ever had include Bully Guppy, batch 1 Blue Lady, Atwater Vanilla Java Porter (especially when aged for 4+ years), and Biggs' 'stache.

youbrewidrink and LambicKing like this.
  29. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Abita Purple Haze. Anything Magic Hat. 09 Abyss was already mentioned. How about 09 KtG or 09 Mirror Mirror? A chance they won't be infected and if not, they'd be a nice break from atrociousness.

30. I am actually planning a tasting and planning to have a crap bucket filled with "BMC" for those who chicken out

31. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Belgo Anise IRS

32. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (905) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Throw a vote in for Chelada. And Chelada light.

33. I think shots of Ghost Face Killah would be the perfect nightcap at the end.

34. darienm

darienm Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 23, 2010

35. How about a night exploring the Mendocino catalog? Went to the brewery and did just that, 8 or so different styles, all ranging from low-mediocre to comically bad. At least all the pours were free. Everyone working there was in their 70's, at least, including the bartender, who hit on my wife while I was in the bathroom. Good times.

36. Wow someone just gave this beer a 5. How sad is their palate?

37. Smokey Bacon? It tasted like peat smoked garbage!

adamdd likes this.
  38. For a second there I thought the one can next to the Molson said "Sparkling Shite"

39. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Iron City is pretty bad! I remember when I was first getting into craft having just moved from Pa to Cali. Feeling homesick I ordered one, it was drinkable. That's all that needs said :)

40. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (725) California Dec 15, 2012

Okay, I take back my last statement... I cracked open a Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus tonight. It was nothing like the Sea Dog above. They know how to effectively merry raspberries with beer. :)