1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Imperial amber vs. darkish ipa?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dougfur, Feb 18, 2013.

1. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

Is it me or is the line between hoppy amber ales and ipa's/dipa's pretty darn fuzzy? Nugget nectar for example; it's no darker in color than many ipa's. There's no rule against adding a little malt character to an ipa... Is there some distinction I'm missing here? Does it matter? Either way, I wish I had one right now...

victory4me likes this.
  2. It is a fuzzy line. A more Malty caramel presence to help balance the hops. What would you classify as a "darkish IPA"?

3. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

For instance, I think Sierra Nevada Torpedo is darker in color than NN. Admittedly, a silly thing to worry about, I'm just curious if there's something I'm missing here.

4. An imperial Amber, or hopped up amber ale is a meeting point between a red ale and an IPA. Color can usually give an indication of the beers flavor profile but color is just what happens with certain ingredients, nothing to do with taste.

jzeilinger likes this.
  5. For red ales, Shark Attack from Port pushes the envelope for the style. And as long as we're on the subject of Troegs, Perpetual blurs the line between pale ales and IPA's.

6. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Truth is, it's whatever the brewer wants to call it. Que up Porter/Stout argument, DIPA/TIPA/IPA kerfluffle and don't even go to Quads, BIPA's and Tripples. And lastly fegetabout Farmhoues/Saison. Beers exist in a continuum of flavors and colors, "Style" is just a made up idea that poorly describes what is there. The exception is homebrewers at a competition and BJCP judging because exact recipes are compared

jRocco2021 likes this.
  7. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Blame the jackasses on the west coast for that.

Really, the line is a non-sequiter, mostly arbitrary and meaningless.

Zombie Dust is an "APA" (but really an IPA)
    Porters are Stouts and Stouts are porters unless they're Russian (or Baltic) but now there are white stouts, and black saisons, and "Cascadian dark ales," which are BIPA's, which used to stand for British IPA, but now means Black IPA.
    Saisons are Farmhouses and... I don't know how the rest goes, because I lost interest and started drinking.

It's madness I tell you, MADNESS!

Don't fret too much, as with all progressions of a given product or idea, constant tweakings and modifications are made and challenged and assimilated and disassembled (art, literature, political theory, beer etc.). Enjoy the ride man. :)

8. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

There aren't lines between styles and they aren't categorized on the basis of just one characteristic. The many boundaries are "fuzzy."

Think of a map and a mountain. On the map there is a clear line with different colors on each side that says "trees here" and "not trees here." Now go onto the mountain and find that line.