1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Imperial Chocolate Oatmeal Stout Cookie, what beer?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by elshaggy, Jan 26, 2013.

?

What imp stout should elshaggy add to his cookies.

1. SN Nawhal

30.8%
  2. Dark horse's Plead the 5th

13.5%
  3. 2011 Abyss

3.8%
  4. 2012 Abyss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2011 Darkness

5.8%
  6. 2012 Darkness

1.9%
  7. Gonzo Imperial Porter

17.3%
  8. Stone IRS

3.8%
  9. "Just drink the damn beer!"

23.1%
  1. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

So I've got a wild hair and lots of quick oats here and I want to make some cookies with beer. I've got a few things in the cellar or maybe I pick up something (Rasputin or ?)

The question is what imperial stout should I add to a chocolate oatmeal cookie. Maybe I throw in some white chocolate chips to make them look pretty.

Poll to follow, results will follow that.
  2. The worst one to drink, its the one to add to cookies.
    All of them are pretty tasty, but I'll pick the Gonzo.
    TongoRad likes this.
  3. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

You should get an oatmeal stout
    acevenom and Thickfreakness like this.
  4. Sounds like a fun experiment but I agree with this sentiment - Bake with the Gonzo and drink one of the others
  5. I don't know what the hell is going on here. But let me say, Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is out of this world!
    szmnnl99 and sentomaster like this.
  6. Terrapin oatmeal stout
  7. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

recreational baker here:
    make it an inexpensive or unimpressive, but very strong stout. as close to molasses as possible. Or a stout you're drinking now. How much are you adding? Can't imagine dough tolerating more than a 1/4 or 1/3 cup / per batch.
  8. elshaggy

Possibly boiling it down and cooling it, I've been doing some reading beeroness.com looks like she reduces beers a lot to add. She suggests Old Rasputin. But I picked up some Samuel Smiths oatmeal (not organic chocolate) as I checked the thread at the liquor store a few minutes ago.
  9. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I could see 2011 Abyss pairing nicely with a cookie.
  10. elshaggy

Add some raisins to highlight the dark fruits?

I'm mulling it over while I drink a Sam smith oatmeal stout and make my BLT.

I'm tempted to try a Darkness because the local Surly hot spot here is having their Surly Tap Takedown tomorrow with 10 varietals on tap. I'd would be cool to bring a few for the wait staff and barkeep.
  11. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

Don't really see the point of taking a beer that you took the time and effort to age and dump it into a cookie unless you have popped one and think it has fallen off the cliff. I would pick what is cheapest and easiest to replace and for me that is Narwhal (still on the shelves here) or something from the cellar that has shit the bed.
  12. vthippie

That changes things, do this with the 2012.
  13. elshaggy

I'm hearing ya, wild hair quelled. I'm going to try with the Samuel smiths oatmeal stout. Though I would have liked to use am imperial stout.
  14. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Would you seriously waste a 2011 Abyss on an experimental batch of cookies?

Send it to me.
    mmikey8 likes this.
  15. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (260) California Aug 2, 2012

Darkness or Abyss in cookies? Must be nice!
  16. elshaggy

Must be wreckless!

I've seen or heard of both being used to create deserts or sauces. I don't know if they had access to pull off a keg though.

The Gonzo is drinking fantastic bottled 10/11. The Oatmeal stout however doesn't smell so good while boiling.
    Edit: Now with pictureshttp://imgur.com/hXMxnDd.jpg
    That's not my coffee BTW.

Thanks for the input BAs
  17. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (470) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Probably something more bitter like the gonzo so it balances it out.
  18. elshaggy

19. elshaggy

I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to try Abyss. Though I found an '11 on Christmas Eve 2011. The 2012 didn't make it very long after it was released.
  20. elshaggy

http://imgur.com/Syw6j7p.jpg

Ding! And done. They turned out nicely, I think the plain oatmeal stout was a bit too subdued in flavor to stand out much in the finished product. Next time I'll go bigger. You are all too kind, in your position I'd want to see someone else use a limited release and see what the results were. It's only beer after all and it all in fun. Thanks again for following my experiment tonight.

Prosit!
  21. mad river extra stout................add oatmeal and raisin.......game on!!!!!
  22. vthippie

Don't count Sammie Smiths out yet, next time try the Organic Chocolate Stout.