1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Imperial Stout Trooper Boston sightings?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by GoOSU, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Any IST sightings in the Boston area?

2. Jcb890

Jcb890 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 28, 2008

I know its not really Boston area, but Julio's just posted on their FB page that they have it in stock.

3. Which means it will most likely be gone by tomorrow. I'm gonna stop by after work in a bit, hopefully they got more than 2 cases.

4. Jcb890

The last 2 times they posted that they had something in at either 1pm or 2pm (BCS Vanilla, then Bramble + Coffee). I called them, asked how many they had and got a reply of "plenty" both times. Called again at 4:30 as I was leaving work and was told they still had some. Arrived 10 minutes after calling to find out they were actually sold out. I was pissed both times because I could have taken a late lunch if they actually gave an accurate answer as to how many they got in. Aggravating to say the least!

5. The
    They seem to never want to tell me how much they actually get in, which I sort of understand from the store's point of view. If they post at 3-4PM I have a chance to get it. Lately they have been posting at 2 and the limited stuff is usually gone by 430 (happened with Curmudgeons Better Half).

Craft Beer Cellar just tweeted that they will sell 6 Bottles at 5PM. I guess it might be evenworse than I ever imagined with allocations.

6. Jcb890

6 bottles? That's awful.

7. Julio's isn't doing any allotments for Stout Trooper. I picked up 2 for myself and 2 for my brother about an hour ago. So I'm sure they have more than was the case with the Bourbon County's or Founders 750's.

8. Ball Square Fine Wines in Somerville posted about 50 minutes ago they had some in (2 per person) went about 30 minutes ago and grab two there seemed to be at least another 6 on the shelf maybe more in the back..

goodluck!

9. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I think it was close to $17 there. Is that the going rate for a bottle of this beer?

10. I hope not. I already don't understand the hype around this beer, and at $17, that's more than a little insane for a straightforward RIS. It's fine and all, but not even as good as many common RIS's like Old Rasputin, Stone, or Yeti. 4x the Old Rasputin for the same price? That's a no-brainer.

11. I've seen it at 2 places - Downtown Wine and Spirits and Ball Sq. Fine Wines in Somerville.

12. I paid 16 at Julio's. Personally, I do think it's better than the RIS' you listed, but that is with at least a year on it. I'm planning a blind RIS tasting to confirm though.

13. Stone RIS with age on it is heavenly - try to include one of those in your tasting.

Taste is obviously subjective, but the beers I listed all actually rate higher than IST. And even if you prefer IST, we're talking about a substantial cost difference in these beers. Do you really find IST twice as good as Stone?

14. IDK that I do. But those NEBCo guys work out of a very small brewery/pr. much a garage. Anyway, from MEMORY: Stone needs a lot more time to develop the way IST does in a year or so. For whatever that's worth. But I plan to include an IRS '10 at the tasting.

15. I thought that IST tasted delicious when I picked up my first bottle. Is it the best, no, but its darn good. I also like the bottle it comes in, the fact that its rare, and the fact that it is made in nearby CT. That is how I justify the price. It is also a 750ml bottle, so it is quite a bit of beer. Is it overpriced? Maybe, but that didn't stop me from buying 6 of them...

16. soze47

soze47 Savant (345) Massachusetts May 22, 2010

Damn! I was just by Downtown and Ball Square and didn't pick any up. Hopefully there are some available in the next few days.

17. Picked up a bottle up at Julio's around 6PM. There was still some on the shelves when I left. It was $16 so I guess it will go anywhere from $15-$20 like last year. Difficult to justify the price but then again $15 beer is becoming much more common.

18. Jcb890

I'll disagree with the Stone RIS. I had a growler of 2003 Stone RIS and I thought it was average at best. I just don't think its a great beer.

19. Recently? 8-9 years is a little long... 2-3 years is plenty...

20. Just a note about the price: its MSRP is $13.99, so if you see it for more than that it's the store trying to capitalize on the hype/limited nature of the beer.

$14 is definitely expensive in its own right, of course, but remember that NEBCO is a tiny operation that does everything by hand: every bottle is rinsed, sanitized, purged, filled, capped, labeled, and shrink-wrapped one at a time. I know, as I spent two full days volunteering my labor and taking turns doing each one of those jobs. And it wasn't all volunteers - the brewers, too, had to take time away from their normal (more lucrative) duties to deal with the logistics of getting this once-a-year specialty out the door.

This year's version was also the most costly to brew, as they switched back to a less-efficient English Ale yeast (meaning a higher final gravity) AND bumped up the ABV from just over 9% to right about 10%. I know that I've enjoyed drinking it, and I hope everyone who does choose to buy it enjoys it as well.

Cheers!

21. Jcb890

This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. It was from a fresh keg, put into a counter-pressure filled growler, then shipped to and consumed by me. I just didn't think it was anything special. But then again, Storm King always gets really good reviews and I think that's not a great beer either.

22. $16.99 at Redstone and 1 per person... They are typically a pretty reasonably priced shop.. little disappointed to see they gouged a few bucks.. but they seemed to have much more supply than Craft Beer Cellar. Two great shops!

23. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I picked some up at Gordons in Waltham last nite - $16. The guy said it was flying out of there. I only saw the bottle I got, though there may have been more somewhere.

24. s1ckboy

s1ckboy Savant (340) Massachusetts Apr 10, 2011

Just got one there. They had about a case left.

25. I believe $13.99 is the MSRP in CT, MSRP in MA is between $15.99-$16.99.

26. Does the distributor there really mark up each case by $24-$36 just for the short drive across the border? Ouch! I know the brewery doesn't make any extra money on the beer they send north.

27. Not as familiar with the distributors margin, can just speak for the retailers end of things... That being said with most of the beer prices in MA, this one doesn't seem too far off where it should be. Like you said NEBCO is a small operation with everything is hand bottled, I personally don't expect them to be priced like a stone or north coast. FWIW its also a few more oz per btl as a 750ml format vs the standard 22oz.

Great beer none the less and hope people enjoy and appreciate all the hard work that went into making it.

28. Lots of liberties are taken with MA pricing by either distributors or retailers. This comes up often and nobody ever wants to speak out against the other one as to who the true culprit is. As another example, Allagash beers are routinely had for $13-$15 in ME/NH and we pay $18-$20 here.

29. $20 at Marty's Big Buys. Ouch. They had 2 cases.

30. Dope

Dope Advocate (565) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

They don't gouge at Redstones, period. I didn't see anyone else selling Utopias for $150 (though there may have been). I'm almost offended that you would accuse them and I don't even work there! :)

BeRanger likes this.
  31. Marty's is known for gouging prices. They try to get $15-$16 for a 6 pack of Flower Power. I got two bottles of Imp. Stout Trooper at Julios for 15.99. Sending a bottle down to NC for a fresh sixer of Hopslam.

32. Wines and more in mansfield had 3 bottles when I left last nice for $17.

33. Yeah.. I take back the gouge comment.. Posted after I had seen the $13 MSRP but turns out that was for Ct. $17 seems to be the avg in MA...love you redstone.

34. Anybody know what it is at Marty's in Newton? They usually set the standard for price inflation. Good news hard to find stuff usually sits around for awhile at that place.

35. Sometimes it's not a good thing. I saw they had a few Nugget Nectar lying around late around september - october last year and bought a bottle (22oz). I had to pour it all out.

36. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Redstone was $16.99 and it wasn't a gouge. I'm from out of town and was talking to the owner quite a bit when I picked up a bottle. Very cool guy and certainly isn't taking advantage of people on prices. More interested in building a solid craft beer store and if making any money it be by selling 12 bottles for a $1 profit each versus selling one overpriced bottle to someone for a $12 margin because they desperately want it.

37. Saw it today at Marty's Big Buy in Allston for $20. Guy also said they had some from last year...

38. Found one bottle in RI, 15.99. Had to get it out the back though, RI never gets enough beer to go around :/

39. dbexpert

dbexpert Savant (290) Massachusetts Sep 27, 2008

The truth. The bottle comes in at 11 and change. Fair pricing is the price YOU pay. That is how economics work. That being said, I believe $14.99 is generous in MA and $16.99 would be the ceiling.

40. I paid 17 odd at Bauer today.