1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Imperial Stout Trooper Boston sightings?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by GoOSU, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Kamal is the man

2. Charles Street Liquors might still have some.

3. If you are still looking for IST - Ball Sq. Fine Wines has bottles just sitting there on the shelf- been there for at least a week or so. 16.99 per bottle.

4. Liquor World in Porter Square just got some in $15.45 a bottle.

5. I bought the last bottle on the shelf at Charles St. this afternoon for $17.

6. The beer is on the pricier side for a non- BA RIS but they are a very small brewery. As woosterbill stated they have a number of volunteers helping out with things like cleaning bottles, sanitizing, purging, filling, capping, labeling, putting those little white things on, and then packaging. Considering the brewery has 3 paid employees including Rob the owner. And although I can't buy nearly as much IST as comparable beers like Old Rasputin, I do think IST is that much better. And if anyone in MA gets a bottle with crooked label, I'll try harder next year.

woosterbill likes this.
  7. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

if i buy IST to drink and not to trade, yeah, eating the price tag is basically a matter of knowing that they're awesome guys, supporting the overall mountain of quality that they put out for a reasonable price anyway, and agreeing that it is quality-wise a touch above the readily available great RISs (e.g. old rasputin, stone, ten fidy). in other words, it's not "better enough" to justify the price, but there's other shit that justifies the price.

re: stone IRS bashing above and apples-to-oranges comparing it to the "black IPA before people said black IPA" that is storm king, big disagreement. in the end i think IST has a bit more depth to it, but stone IRS is a fine beer and a benchmark RIS; it's definitely "the same sort of thing" as yeti, IST, ten fidy, old raspy, lagunitas RIS, etc, as opposed to really different beers like brooklyn black chocolate stout or storm king or world wide stout or mephistopheles's, etc.

8. I felt pretty good about my labeling run this time around, but boy was I responsible for some ugly ones in the 2010 batch. :D

Cheers!

9. Marty's in Newton has it now. $20 and 2 limit.

10. Marty's should really change its name to Markup's ----> that is robbery

11. Even the employees admit to their insane prices. Ten Fidy 4 pack for $19. GIVE.ME.A.BREAK

seanwhite likes this.
  12. Yeah me too. I should have put one upside down because I have 1 06 left with an upside down label.

13. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

A lot of talk about mass but even in CT I cannot get a bottle for less than 19.99! I would have bought a bunch more if it was the correct 14.99 or 15.99. Awesome beer thoigh and this years batch is friggin awesome!

14. As of last Sunday they only had 5 bottles left, I'm surprised it lasted until Thursday.

15. Marty's Marked Up Fine Wine and Beers does it again.