1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Improper glassware

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Nothing pisses me off more than a beer being served to me in a mason jar. Also, I'm not a fan of basic tumbler/pint glasses. And then there was also that one time when I had a beer served to me in a milk bottle...

So, fellow BAer's, what's your opinion on how certain beers have been served to you? And do you always need a glass? Or is out of the bottle/can fine?

BierGartenok, YogiBeer and brewbetter like this.
  2. A shaker pint is MUCH worse that a mason jar in my opinion. Why you ask? Cause a mason jar is just more fun of course.

3. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Don't tell Lagunitas. Didn't bother me a bit.

Only thing that does bother me is being served in a frosted glass. I hate frosted glasses.

4. big glass = good
    little glass = not so good

5. j47paco

j47paco Savant (360) California Dec 19, 2010

[​IMG]
    You mad bro? ; )

6. 99.999% of the time, I'm pouring the beer so I don't have these problems.

But I would not be upset if I received a shaker pint of BCBS.

BigBarley, RaulMondesi and 4balance like this.
  7. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

I'm having our kitchen remodeled, so we are forced to drink out of disposable cups. The Brown Shugga Substitue and Breakfast stout I had last night tasted just fine in those beautiful, room temperature red cups.

8. Well, I fully expect "what are you drinking now" pictures with plastic cups, thimbles, mason jars, McDonald's cups... Yeah, didn't think so.

herrburgess likes this.
  9. ^ this

seriously. mad about glassware ? first world problems. gimme the shaker pint over a 6oz pour any day of the week.

just sayin'

JxExM, cmac1705 and fujindemon74 like this.
  10. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

It really depends on where I am. If its a dive bar with 1 or 2 craft selections, I don't expect the same as the place I go to with 70 craft taps....

jzeilinger and Dtrain4 like this.
  11. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (335) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

As some one said above, I can't stand frosted glasses. When I get those it tells me they don't know ish about beer. I also hate 10 oz pours. Really?? Can't spring for 12? I had Lagunitas Sucks in a mason jar, you could serve that to me in a dog bowl and I would still drink it.

rinhaak, DSlim71, Docrock and 2 others like this.
  12. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I consider myself classy because I take the time to pour my beer into a glass.... any glass.
    Most beers go into the same nitro milk stout glass. which then gets pitched into the dishwasher.

13. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Savant (475) Virginia Nov 23, 2009

I smite the bartender that serves my beer in the wrong glass. Fortunately, I usually pour my own beers at home.

lancecenter likes this.
  14. This whole website is based off of "first world-isms." The majority of the time we are talking about celebrating good beer, so if I want my first world beer in a first world glass, I don't see a problem in that.

15. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Shaker pints and mason jars are my favorite vessels to drink from. What does it fucking matter?

joep, BrewStew58, JrGtr and 2 others like this.
  16. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

17. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

Okay, what's clean?

Tulip? Okay it's going in a tulip.

Snifter? Okay it's going in a snifter.

Shaker pint? Okay it's going in a pint.

None of the above? Okay, I'll drink straight from the bottle.

Take this approach and you may avoid an aneurysm.

drrone, TheRealtor, cmannes and 9 others like this.
  18. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I don't care what kind of glassware my beer is in. As long as I'm not charged a high price for a tiny glass. There are some situations where I am ok with drinking directly from a bottle or can.

19. good enough. and if i'm cool with my first world beer in whatever glass it comes to me in, that works too.

all hail the first world !

cheers

RaulMondesi likes this.
  20. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I don't drink from the bottle. Gotta have a glass. After that it's all gravy. Couldn't care less if I have a stout in a shaker pint or whatever. So long as I can get my nose into the aroma (can't with a bottle) - I'm GTG.

The rest and faux indignation over the absolute insult of being served a beer in improper glassware is for not for me. Life is too short. If getting served a fine beer in a mediocre glass is the worst that happens to me (and I'd put sneezing more than once as a larger problem than this) I guess my day is damned fantastic.

21. Pints are fine
    Really do not care for dimple mugs tho !

22. quick.

bcbs in a shaker pint, or miller lite in a shaker pint. which do you pick ?

bcbs in a pretty little teku glass, or miller lite in a teku glass. which do you pick ?

23. I'd prefer Speedway in a Dixie cup.

mweso2000 likes this.
  24. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I would drink bcbs if it were served in one of those tiny conical paper cups they give you at the dentist's office :p

25. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Like this? Wouldn't trade my Surlyfest dimpled mug for anything
    [​IMG]

hardy008 likes this.
  26. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Remember to take pictures when you beer-bong some Zwanze.

27. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (825) New York Dec 13, 2009

improper glassware...why i never

28. Pete27lax

Pete27lax Savant (340) New York Jul 13, 2011

Proper Glassware Champ ^

MikeyMikee, JxExM and cosmicevan like this.
  29. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I haven't used my mason jar in a while. Maybe that should be fixed soon.

30. Got served a DFH 120 in a pint glass once. Don't remember much after that.

RobertColianni, kell50, ESeab and 3 others like this.
  31. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

i drink out of a wide mouth mason jar all the time. If you can get your nose in the stupid cup, then who care what they serve it in...
    All this whiny crap make me want to queue up the Bon Jovi: You give BA's.... a bad name!

32. White People problems.

33. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (580) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

My stomach hurts from laughing so much

BierGartenok likes this.
  34. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

I tend to avoid shaker pints, but think Mason jar glasses are pretty cool. I'd love to have one of the Terrapin or Lagunitas jars

35. Never had beer from a boot or a Mason jar

36. bostonlogga

bostonlogga Zealot (85) Washington Jan 13, 2013

Will drink beer out of anything. Sniffer or tulip preferred. Three beers I will always enjoy out of bottle... Harpoon, long trail, boston lager cause that's how it was done when I wasn't busy downing keystone at zoo mass

37. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

The only thing that bothers me are extremely tall pilsner glasses or any glass taller than your average shaker pint.

38. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I tend to drink out of pint glasses because that's what I own. If I'm at some place other than my own house, I'll drink out of any glass that they give me. And if it's frosted you can always ask them to warm it under some hot water. But I absolutely hate red solo cups. I understand that it's an irrational hatred, but what can you do? I hate decaf coffee too and I make no apologies for that either.

ESeab, MammaGoose, GFG and 3 others like this.
  39. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

The horror!

BierGartenok likes this.
  40. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

No you never. You're in a whole nother level it seems.

Cheers!

MikeyMikee, Pete27lax and cosmicevan like this.