1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Improper glassware

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. PyroHopBomb

PyroHopBomb Disciple (50) Nevada Oct 16, 2012

As long as its glass and not frosted I don't mind

lancecenter and GRG1313 like this.
  2. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Always out of a glass, but sometimes I'll have a DIPA out of a simple tumbler glass even though my tulip and snifter glasses are sitting right there. They gotta know who's boss.

3. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

I'm okay as long as its not a "frosted glass". Nothing screams "I don't know beer" more than that.

lancecenter likes this.
  4. Well I was pretty happy with my improper glassware experience. Went to BWW And ordered a GI Matilda because they are $3.50 everyday and it was served in a pint glass, so I ordered quite a few more.

Dizbro21 and JxExM like this.
  5. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (410) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

My girlfriend got me a set of Lagunitas mason jars after I was served a Lil Sumpin Ale last summer at Michael Diversey's in Chicago, and fell in love (with the glass, that it)...It's not my go too but I do like them. Really like my Founders snifter, and my Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glasses are nice, as well.

6. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Being offended by glassware is laughable. It's BEER! Take Charlie Papazian's advice, "Relax, don't worry. Have a (home)brew".

7. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I normally am the first to mentally/publicly hate on anyone who I feel is complaining about first world problems... but if you're gonna be dumb as sh*t (like I am) and spend a ka-jillion dollars on a bottle of beer, PLEASE POUR IT IN THE CORRECT GLASSWARE. Science, Bro.

8. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

I'll say what little about it I can:

The Duvel I recently poured into a standard mug simply wasn't as good as the Duvel I poured into a Belgian ale glass about two nights later.

Holy crap ... the way that ale glass helps focus the head ... I'm a beer novice in many ways, but I know enough to know the Duvel in the mug was damn good but the Duvel in that proper glass was freaking unbelievable.

With that said, if you hand/serve me a beer, I'm going to drink it. And I might ask for/order another ...

lancecenter likes this.
  9. It's like just an opinion, dude.

10. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Yeah, nothing pizzes me off more than beer in a Mason jar. Not worldwide wars, insurmountable debt, incivility, senseless murder, inflation, shrinking paychecks etc. Nope, not nuthin'. Mason jars take the cake.

coreyfmcdonald likes this.
  11. mnrider

mnrider Savant (365) Connecticut May 26, 2009

I just open the bottle/can and stick a Pink Bendy Straw in it, and I'm good to go.

MisterBisco and JxExM like this.
  12. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I love improper glassware bars! A bar where I live does shaker pints for everything they have and from 4-9 every day it's $2.50 for ANY beer they have. Just yesterday I had a Narwhal and a Bigfoot ale in a shaker pint and it only cost $5. They do it with Hopslam too. So in my mind, improper glassware wins :D

Premo88, hoserking and JxExM like this.
  13. Please don't stereotype us frosted glass lovers. I actually know quite a bit about beer!

[​IMG]

MikeyMikee, JxExM and tinypyramids like this.
  14. Who gives a shit, a good beer is good regardless of what glass it's served in

hoptualBrew and Hotmetal1 like this.
  15. Cazlo

Cazlo Savant (325) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2011

When at home its almost always a tulip or a snifter...but sometimes it just doesn't matter. This was taken on a beer trip with friends at a shitty El Cajon hotel around 3am. It was one of the best and most memorable beers I've ever had, plastic cup and all.

[​IMG]

bastu, Premo88, mnrider and 2 others like this.
  16. tsondie21

tsondie21 Disciple (65) Wisconsin Feb 24, 2011

Frosted glasses are really the only thing that bothers me. Another related thing that irks me is when I will have some amazing/expensive beer left in the bottle because my glass is small and one of my friends starts drinking out of it. It is such a waste. I am happy to share, but not if they drink it out of the bottle.

lancecenter likes this.
  17. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Nothing pisses me off more than those Hill Farmstead wimpy wine glasses
    posing as beer glasses. Worse? Those tek tu(?) ones. I mean what the name if holy farts are those for? It's like you can imagine some glass Japanese warrior to crawl out from it and tell you you are doing it all wrong

18. I like my glassware but generally I'm not stupidly precious about it. I do draw the line at drinking out of styrofoam/paper/plastic cups and straight from the bottle though.

lancecenter likes this.
  19. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (415) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

[​IMG]
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. No tulips while tailgating.

nogophers likes this.
  20. If I had put enough thought and dedication into a tailgate to bring a Rare, you better believe I'll be drinking that $45 bottle of beer out of a snifter. I'd probably even be picky about what snifter I was using.

21. Durb777

It's a tradition now so we'll be doing it again this year.

22. I'm picky about my glassware. I think it makes a big difference. If you disagree with me, I won't be offended.

cosmicevan and lancecenter like this.
  23. Alright, I'll be there. Thanks for the invite! I'll provide the glassware.

24. I love almost any beer out of a pint glass.

25. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

Its one thing to be at home and drink your beer in a mason's jar, tumbler, solo cup, yahtzee shaker, etc, however if you're at a nice beer bar like I was the other night, you don't want your Duchesse De Bourgogne in a regular pint glass, especially if you have tulip glasses sitting on the shelf below! But with that said, to each his own I suppose..

lancecenter likes this.
  26. Durb777

April 1st opening day for the White Sox. Let me know if you want me to pick you up from the airport.

27. Nothing worse than a $10 brandy snifter size pour of someone's "Awesome" barleywine or Barrel aged whatever.

28. The horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me an improper glassware provider. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror

JimSmetana likes this.
  29. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

Points for the first person to document them downing their Westy 12 in the proper glassware.*

*A beer bong, of course.

30. Somebody post another picture please, this shit is hilarious.

Suggestions:
    Highly-rated Imperial Stout, served in a sippy cup.
    Vintage Gueuze, served in a paper soft drink cup with lid and bendy straw.
    Hard-to-find Belgian Quad, served in the reindeer antler-shaped egg nog mug (as seen in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation).

nogophers and DirtyKurt like this.
  31. DirtyKurt

DirtyKurt Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 12, 2013

Glassware? I drink my beer out of a plastic bag with a hole in the corner. But on a serious note I can't really tell the difference between different glasses. My buddy who is helping me break into the craft beer seen always lends me a snifter and I'm just fine with it.

32. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I once drank a Surly Abrasive out of a travel coffee mug while tailgating. I was really drunk, so I don't exactly know why I did it. But I'll be damned if it didn't minimize the spilling opportunities since I could close it after I took a drink

nogophers likes this.
  33. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

The first impression of mason jars as glasses: hillbilly glassware. But other than that, they actually work well.

beertunes likes this.
  34. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I don't give a damn what you put it in as long as it ends up in my belly.

darknova306 likes this.
  35. MoparGrease

MoparGrease Initiate (0) California Jul 26, 2012

Blasphemy!!!!!......WITCH!WITCH!WITCH!

kenpo23 likes this.
  36. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'll drink out of a bottle or can in the right situation. I'm in the mountains quite a bit...camping off the motorcycle, fly fishing, hiking, etc...and it's often just not convenient to tote out the fine glassware. And anyways, sometimes cracking a can or bottle and drinking straight out of it is just pleasing in those situations. I doubt I'd carry a fancy rare beer on a wilderness backpacking trip, but a couple cans of a delicious-but-common craft? Sure.

Improper glassware doesn't irk me too much. I definitely appreciate proper glassware for beer types. But pint shakers typically satisfactory. Usually when I drink at home, I drink out of a tulip because I just happen to prefer it. Unless it was a very blatantly incorrect glass (a stout in a pilsner flute or something), I don't think I'd be too butthurt about it. Ultimately, a beer is a beer. That said, drinking beer out of a mason jar isn't too appealing to me. I haven't ever been served one though.

37. Call me old fashioned, but shaker pints work pretty damn well for me.

38. Wait, you mean you don't always have to serve beer in a funnel?

39. "Old fashioned"? Using a so-called 'shaker pint' as a beer drinking vessel only dates from the late 1970's - it's safe to say that the majority of other classic beer glass styles predate that.

beertunes and lancecenter like this.