1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Improper glassware

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

Truth be told, you're all classless ignoramuses.

I drink all of my beers the way they are meant to be drunk. 4 ounces at a time. Shaken. In a martini glass.

Because a martini glass always says "classy."

2. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Sometimes just be a wiseass, I go to a craft bar, drink Three Philosophers straight out of the bottle, then order a Bud light and request the bartender to pour it in a Champagne Flute.

LeRose, bastu, acevenom and 1 other person like this.
  3. I prefer a bar offer an 8 ounce option in addition to full pint for typical draught beer. In Portland, OR one finds that is the case quite often. Where I am from (New Haven, CT) it is very much the exception.

Other than that, brewer's recommendation (tulip, snifter, et cetera). Also, I will never join a stein/glass/whatever club since those are generally larger volume.

4. That is, without a doubt, the grossest thing I've ever read. I feel like crying and/or taking a shower now.

5. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Its hilarious.

LeRose, acevenom and ESeab like this.
  6. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (540) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

On the note of improper glass wear, seems every Christmas, I get more pint glasses. A different team, brewery, witty saying, etc. Pints are relatively versatile glasses at least. Anybody else have this issues?

7. I hate shitty glassware it ruins the pour and call me snob but shit pisses me off I wish I could just bring my HFS sniffer to the bar sometimes I feel like it makes a difference

lancecenter and RaulMondesi like this.
  8. If it's made of glass and can act as an alcohol delivery device for my liver... then I'm game.

9. Again, this is a beer website where we voice our opinions on beer. It's asinine of you to think that being served beer in a glass in which I do not approve of (but will still drink from) is my number one concern in this life. I mean, shit. What are you doing wasting time on this site? Shouldn't you be volunteering at the local homeless shelter? Why aren't you picking up trash at the beach right now? Why arent you currently somewhere with the Peace Corps? You are a horrible human being.

lancecenter likes this.
  10. I think its a combination of the glassware, how clean the glassware is, the shape of the glassware and if the glassware is being re used for yet another beer. It also annoys me if someone uses the glass to sample beer and then pours more beer into the glass.

11. I drink beer out of the little plastic cup that comes with Pepto Bismol. Great size for tickers too.

airforbes1, MAbeerNE1 and beertunes like this.
  12. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I could call you an overbearing, self-absorbed whiny little prick, but I won't.

jacksback and teal like this.
  13. I am very picky about the glassware I use, I drink almost everything from either a 750ml red wine glass or a 750ml snifter.

lancecenter and Andygirl like this.
  14. You are entitled to your opinion, just like I was when I originally posted. Again, this is a website about beer, and I wanted to state my opinion on glassware. In-between that, I don't understand why you had to degrade me with you comments (especially with your second one). Overall, I believe that you read too far into my post. Maybe me saying "pisses me off" was not the best choice of words when I was just simply trying to imply what frustrates me about glassware. Beer is beer. It is a glorious luxury that all of us here are fortunate to have. I'm not here to argue - maybe debate - but not argue. Have a good one.

lancecenter likes this.
  15. drevim

drevim Aficionado (190) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

Just last night I was told by a server that they had Devil Made Me Do It on special, fishbowl size for the pint price. Sign me up. Then I get a frosted fishbowl. I accepted it, but was a bit disappointed, since these guys usually have their act together regarding craft beer. Took longer than I had to let it warm up. Probably drank a pints worth, lesson learned. Ask for a room temp glass.

16. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

How would we classify the red thing with the lid on it? I'm thinking... stein. Very, very big & nontraditional stein.

acevenom likes this.
  17. . . .that red pot is bad ass too!

18. two choices: tulip or gold chalice

19. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

It's a crock pot. They're everywhere in Minnesota - always photo bombin'

cosmicevan and El_Chupahueso like this.
  20. At a dive bar in Denver got served a Great Divide Orabelle, their version of a tripel, in a pint glass and it pretty much ruined it.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  21. I pour beer into a shaker pint 99% of the time. I did just buy a nonic 2 days ago though

22. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Have you posted this in the Beer Snob thread?

23. [​IMG]

For me, what it really boils down to is, does the vessel enhance or detract from my enjoyment of the beverage in question. In this case, its a resounding HELL YEAH! :D

Cugabuh likes this.
  24. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Serve me a beer in a frackin' mason jar at risk to your physical well-being. Fake ironic, hipster-poking-fun-at-poor-people idiots. Other than that, I don't much care. At home I use mostly a 9oz glass that sort of a cross between a Pils and wheat glass, or a 10oz goblet.

25. nope don't really know what you mean by that and if your gonna call me a snob because I like having the right glassware and I expect a reasonable restaurant or bar to have the proper glassware as it isn't hard to figure out then call me a beer snob, but ill drink the beer whatever it comes in just sometimes i won't be happy about it I still would never not drink the beer

lancecenter likes this.
  26. That's fucking comedy right there

27. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

That's a helluva sentence. You forgot to add these '.' and '.' and '.'. Or do you always jibberjabber as a 5 yr old would?

28. A bottle is preferred here. It would be wasting too much drinking time to pour it in a mason jar!

29. No I just give zero fucks about grammar when I am drinking a beer typing on a beer forum I will never understand grammar nazi's you got what I meant right? okay good that was the point, nothing more needs to be said I'm not at work/school.

30. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

I drink out of mason jars all the time. Beer, coffee, tea, water, wine... all out of a mason jar most of the time. Most of them are from empty Green Mtn. Gringo salsa jars. Doesn't make sense to recycle them when they make perfectly good drinking vessels, leftover containers, spice jars, etc...

31. Kinsman just doesn't give a fuck. I like that.

32. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I like the spittoon. Do you chew Skoal?

33. DPMomutant

DPMomutant Savant (355) Missouri Feb 10, 2004

I'm not supposed to shotgun Ten Fidy??

34. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

EXACTLY!!!! Thank you !

35. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (330) Washington Nov 23, 2010

This >
    Looks like my standard tailgate or camping trip! Although I do have plastic stemless wine glasses to drink from

36. Oh my Rhett! This beer is in the wrong glass! What ever shall we do!? *swooning fall to the floor*

37. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

If the beer is good and the price is right, I can live with a plastic cup. In fact was up in savannah not long ago and I love those to go cups. Nothing like drinking a good brew and walking the streets....lol:p

38. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

I can live with the wrong type of glass - or just a standard pint as a catch all - but it does thankfully seem that more and more places are getting on board with using proper or near proper glasses per the type anyway. In some other places, I still have to actually ask for a glass - and these are places with decent lists which makes it a little sad.

39. Seriously? You sound like you're one of those people that drinks any beer out of a tulip glass just to look cool at a party.

Sure certain beers belong in certain glasses, but at the same time don't be too picky. Quite often, I prefer a standard pint glass, and they work well when drinking a standard IPA or Pale Ale.

That being said...one time I was at some BMC burger joint with my family. I was quite surprised to find Smuttynose IPA on their beer list. When the waiter came back with the uncapped bottle and nothing else I was like..."Ummm...you serious?"

40. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

My normal beer spot usually is good with glassware, but for whatever reason last Friday they had run out of glasses and resorted to using plastic cups. My initial reaction of jokingly thinking "WTF is this shit?" lasted for all of about 3 seconds until that first sip hit my lips and then what do you know, it no longer mattered.

Bottomline, it's a freakin glass... if they have the proper glassware, sure hook me up; but if they don't, it's not going to diminish the experience of drinking a great beer at all.

azorie likes this.