In Charlotte from Michigan...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by caber2615, Dec 27, 2012.

1. In Charlotte for the weekend and plan on going on a brewery tour. Right now I have highland, ass clown, noda, and heist on the list.

What suggestions do you Charlotte BAs suggest? Will anything compare to my hometown favorites, Bells and Founders?

2. Pretty solid list you have started so far....I would add Triple C and Olde Mecklenburg to it. And make sure and hit up Brawley's for all your take home needs!

Cheers!

bryanole27, Handle and Uwftke26 like this.
  3. I work at OMB and would be happy to show you around the brewery and join a fellow BA for a pint. Shoot me a beermail if you're planning to come see us.

Ryan

Handle and winbassett like this.
  4. Don't miss Birdsong Brewing Co., and hit up Salud and Good Bottle Co. (both bottle shops) if you have time. And Highland is in Asheville. If you're going there, that's another ball game :) Enjoy North Carolina beer!

Handle likes this.
  5. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

There are some great recommendations in other threads; see NoMoreBeerBelly's post in this thread if you'd like to piece together a little tour in Southend or NoDa.

If we can help further, let us know!

6. Birdsong is literaly 100 ft from NoDa. Heist is down the street and is just 'meh.' Grab something to eat at Duckworth's which is about 100yrds from Brawley's.

7. If your around craft corner(Brawleys and duckworths) be sure to stop by triple c, 5 to 10 minutes away. They are in south end and one of charlotte's newest breweries. They are more driven toward innovation than the other brewery in south end.

8. You know that Highland is hours away in Asheville, NC, right?

Personally, I'd give Ass Clown a pass - I've been consistently underwhelmed by them.

NoDa, OMB, Birdsong and Triple C are all must see/must visits. I'll second Win's suggestions of visiting both Salud and Good Bottle.

Where are you staying?

CBlack85 and winbassett like this.
  9. Probably a broken record by now - but I'll second the suggestions for Brawley's, Birdsong and NoDa. Birdsong's "The Pride" abbey ale is quite nice. Between the two breweries, there will usually be a food truck around as well. Haven't been to OMB yet, but their beers are tasty.

I wasn't super impressed with the beer or the food at Heist though. The Liberty in the south end is a better execution of the gastropub concept. They don't brew their own beer, but they always have a solid tap selection. Duckworth's is definitely worth a stop as well.

If you do find yourself up in the Cornelius/Davidson area, the Davidson Beverage Company is worth a visit. It's a nice fairly new bottle shop near downtown Davidson and usually has about 10 beers on tap in its "lounge" area.

10. I've been consistently impressed with the food at Heist. When did you eat there? Their beer is another story. Passable, definitely not great.

11. Thanks for all the suggestions! We ended up going to almost everywhere suggested...

Started on friday at Heist, thought their food was pretty good, decent oatmeal stout as well. Moved on to NoDa and thought the Coco Loco was good. Went over to Birdsong and had a jalepeno pale, which was one of my favorites on the trip. I really liked the brewery as well. Then we went over and checked out Salude bottle shop and picked up some bottles. We ended Friday at the flying saucer.

Today started at Brawleys, I think that was my favorite stop of all. Picked up a couple bottles, including a bottle of Event Horizon and had a good coversation with Mkes mom. Then we had lunch at Duckworths with a couple flights and ended today over at Ass Clown.

All in all a pretty good trip. Might end the weekend at Lil Roberts tonight.

Thanks again everyone

12. Oh, it was for lunch probably about three weeks ago. Had their version of a BBQ burger. The toppings were good, but the burger itself was pretty dry (even at Medium). I'd definitely give them another shot, it just didn't wow me on the first visit. Totally agreed on the beer, their oatmeal stout was just ok, and the sample of raspberry porter I tried didn't have the fruit and beer integrated at all.

13. Hmph. Never had one of their burgers. Did you tell anyone about it? I know their GM Kurt and have met the chef on a couple of occasions - I'm certain they would want to know.

14. I agree, I have been to Heist a couple of times and have been underwhelmed each time. It almost seems as though they are trying too hard to be clever with the food. The flatbreads are ok, and as far as the beer goes the oatmeal stout is fairly solid, but all in all nothing to write home about.

15. abb610

abb610 Savant (290) North Carolina Oct 14, 2010

nice trip, you def got alot accomplished. glad you enjoyed charlotte!!