1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

In de Vrede Closed For Next 2 Weeks :(

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by fistfight, Sep 12, 2012.

1. I'm in Belgium for a conference which ends today and I just found out Cafe In de Vrede is closing from tomorrow to the 30th of September. What I was wondering was whether it's worth heading to Westvlteren anyway. Will the gift shop have any beer? Is there anywhere else I can get the beer? I'd be taking the train from Brussels and biking from Poperinge, which is a pretty long trip.

My timing stinks, I'm too late for In de Vrede, but too early for Fou Foune. Nuts.

If I don't go I have an extra day to plan. Do any of you good people have any beer tourist suggestions for this weekend? I'm in Brussels, but can travel anywhere. Thanks!

2. You must go to the Kulminator in Antwerps. This is a must place to drink the best Belgium (older) beers.

The fact that In de Vrede is closed does not mean the trip isn't worth to make. You can buy two threepacks of the Westvleteren beers at the beer pickuppoint between 13.45 and 16.45.... but check the Sixtus site before you go: http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerijactueel.htm They will be closed also from september 17 to 22th

From the abbey it is a nice drive to the guys from Struise, Kasteelstraat 50 in Oostvleteren. Contact them before you go to their headquarters because sometimes they close the building for a few hours: Mail Carlo to [email protected] or give him a call on +32495288623 Webshop : http://www.beerinvest.eu/ or mail peter : [email protected].

The entrance could be under construction and there is another wat to get to the guys: Hendrik Deberghstraat 7A. This entrance is easy to find, it is the street behind the main entrance.

Thijs

claaark13 and UncleJimbo like this.