1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

In Indianapolis Next Weekend

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Bmuncy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Next weekend, the 22nd and 23rd, I will be in Indianapolis. Considering making a trip up to Munster for some 3 floyds action, as well.

Anyway, I was hoping the kind folks of this board would be willing to tell me where I definitely need to go to while in Indianapolis.

Thanks in advance =)

2. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (330) Indiana May 4, 2011

This thread will give you a good starting point. Lots of great places to go. Enjoy the city!

Jkoeneman likes this.
  3. Gameover170

Gameover170 Savant (320) Indiana Feb 8, 2013

That's a good thread, one place you might want to check out if you're venturing a little bit outside of the city is Shallos. Probably about 15-20 min south of downtown Indy. http://www.shallos.com/ 3 Floyds is definitely recommended though, headed up there this Saturday myself.

4. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

The international airport has been named Best Airport in North America, so you might want to check it out, even if you're not flying in. Better than Ottawa and Tampa, they say.

5. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I'll second Bruggle from that thread!
    I liked Black Acre a lot.
    Flat 12 is if you like HOP HEAVY, only.

Honestly, instead of driving North for Three Floyds, consider going SOUTH for New Albany Brewing.
    New Albany is EASILY one of the top breweries I've ever been to (I like them a LOT more than Three Floyds). EVERYTHING they make is fantastic. AND, they have a GREAT range! They have Hoppy to smooth and malty!

6. Where in Indy are you staying?

7. aasher

aasher Champion (930) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Flat 12 has much more than hoppy beers

Jkoeneman likes this.
  8. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

Their best beers are their dark beers, IMO. Pogue's Run Porter is easily one of Indy's finest beers. I haven't been won over by their work with hops...yet. I'm keeping an open mind.

Jkoeneman, Lukafer and aasher like this.
  9. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Good to know.
    From what I've had of theirs, EVERYTHING was WAY too heavy. I didn't try any of their darks, though. I'll keep that in mind next I'm in the area!

I REALLY wanted to like them, but what I had wasn't doing it for me :/

10. Jkoeneman

Jkoeneman Aficionado (160) Indiana Jul 30, 2010

I am excited to see what happens when Nunmoere Black (ABA) hits shelves in the next few weeks.
    1) The packaging is just filthy awesome.
    2) It is one of my favorite releases from them.

MichaelinFishers likes this.
  11. aasher

Plus Walkabout will be bottled shortly after!

12. Jkoeneman

Jkoeneman Aficionado (160) Indiana Jul 30, 2010

And then lacto-Matic and Cucumber Kolsch by the summer if label approvals tell us anything...

aasher and CWBlues like this.
  13. aasher

I am looking forward to the Cucumber Kolsch. I wish they would have time for Kiwi Kiwi Hefe too.

jmarsh123 likes this.
  14. tfischl

tfischl Aficionado (205) Indiana Dec 28, 2005

If you are downtown, don't miss McNivens (many very very good beer on draft) and Fountain Sq/Sunking breweries. Twenty Tap is also a must - just north of the city on College Ave/54th.

15. Jkoeneman likes this.
  16. I looked through the other thread (it was great, thanks fo linking it). is there anywhere in Indy I can find FFF? I don't think I saw it in the thread.

17. aasher

It depends on the week. The distributor doesn't have everything every week.

18. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Ill be heading there this weekend as well. Cheers!

CWBlues likes this.
  19. You realize that Three Floyds is at least a 3 hour drive from Indianapolis right? If you don't mind that commute then by all means do it. Just pointing out that Indiana isn't exactly rhode island small. You might want to consider Upland in Bloomington. I really like the beers i've had there and the fish and chips are delicious.

20. psykosis

psykosis Savant (370) Indiana May 21, 2009

Depends what you are after. I've seen a number of bombers around, along with a few of their six packs. I know of one store that still has behemoth on the shelf.

21. zombie dust, alpha king, and behemoth would be wonderful. i think those are the main things I'd go for, but anything else after those would be amazing, as well.

22. psykosis

psykosis Savant (370) Indiana May 21, 2009

I'm on the south side, so I can't speak much for most stores, but if you go to Party Pak on Stop 11 or Crown Liquors on Southport, you can find Behemoth, Moloko, Rye'd da tiger, Calumet Queen, Alpha King, Pride & Joy, Robert the Bruce, Arctic Panzer Wolf, and some other bombers I don't remember. You should be able to find something you want between those two stores. No Zombie Dust though.

23. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (380) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Bier Brewery should be on top of your list, every beer I had from them was amazing. If you can, get a ticket on the Indy Brew Bus. Quickest and easiest way to visit 3-4 breweries. If you can't do that, skip Flat12 they only have a few good beers. Sun King is worth a visit as well. But Bier Brewery was my favorite stop on our 3 day trip last weekend.

24. aasher

Only have a few good beers? Which ones have you had? They had BA Wnter Cycle, Bourbon Barrel Black Dog 68 (or whatever it's called), Van Pogue, and Walkabout on draft last week. That's more than a few...

25. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (380) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/53688_10200663270001205_564001989_o.jpg
    That was the tap list. The only two beers that stood out were the ipa and the pale ale. I can tell they have issues with getting body in their dark beers and the flavor was very lacking.