1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

In Praise of Country Boy Brewing

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Nutwood, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

Just came from my neighborhood beer spot where the guys from Country Boy in Lexington, KY came down with some beers for a pint night. Loved the Barrel Aged Jalapeno smoked Porter and the Forkin' Gourd Pumpkin Porter, both were just outstanding brews. These guys really have it going on and I wish them all the best as they grow the business. This was a nice event, and kudos to Luke and Birch for making it happen.

BEERchitect likes this.
  2. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Country Boy is awesome. I like living a 10 -15 minute drive away.

3. Magery

Magery Savant (405) Kentucky Sep 29, 2004

i love country boy. always great beer and great people.

4. Nutwood

Had the IPA last night, it was a nicely balanced beer.

5. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

Country Boy is my go to spot for local brewed action. Last year they did those experimental "Firkin A" series. That citra one was unbelievable.

6. brian44556

brian44556 Savant (275) Kentucky Aug 29, 2009

I will be making my first stop at Country Boy Brewing this coming Sunday! Anyone know the website showing the food truck schedule in Lex?

7. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I really need to go to Country Boy. I had their smoked jalapeno porter at the feast of ales last summer and it was great. Anyone have any good suggestions on what to try?

8. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

The food truck schedule for the breweries (and Lexington Beerworks) is http://www.lexbeerscene.com

brian44556 and Tchfunkta like this.
  9. Tchfunkta

Thanks for that link, it will help demystify the whole finding the food truck process for me.

10. Tchfunkta

Cliff Jumper, Any of their barrel aged beers, Shotgun Wedding, Stamping Ground Nitro.

11. I think they have more Papaws Red sitting in Pappy barrels coming soon, that's my favorite beer by them.

BEERchitect likes this.
  12. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN Savant (485) Kentucky May 13, 2003

I am really excited to try some of their brews. I have been meaning to get up that way, but been way to busy this year so far. Does anyone know if bottling or canning is in the near future?

13. Tchfunkta

I'm headed down there tonight for Knotty Pine DIPA and XXX Nacho Bait Firkin. Although the latter is probable gone.

14. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Knotty Pine was mighty tasty.

15. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

I'd like to stop in there the next time I come to Lexington (although I'd prefer to stay there and drink a while). Are there any hotels within stumbling distance of Country Boy?

16. Magery

Magery Savant (405) Kentucky Sep 29, 2004

the hyatt and hilton are easily walkable downtown and spring hill the other way down south broadway. you can always grab a cab too

bluejacket74 likes this.
  17. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

Thanks for the tip!

18. Tchfunkta

Yes it was. Yes it was.

19. Nutwood

I talked to a couple of the "Boys" at the pint night I went to, they are definitely interested, but it's going to take some work. They did not see starting their own canning line any time soon, but they indicated they are entertaining some options to out-source canning.

20. brian44556

brian44556 Savant (275) Kentucky Aug 29, 2009

Finally had a chance to make the trip to Country Boy today. I thought all of their beers were very tasty. My favorite was the Shotgun Wedding (chocolate version). Between the Beer Trappe, West Sixth, and Country Boy (all of the places I have had a chance to visit in Lexington) Lexington locals have some great establishments to drink at!

Shagator and BEERchitect like this.
  21. Tchfunkta

Canning lines are very expensive.