1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Inbev being sued for 'weak beer'

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Soloveitchik, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (450) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure all A-B beers are brewed using a high gravity method which requires adjusted water to be blended with the finished beer to lower the abv to the level stated on the bottle or can. The former employees saying that water is added to the beer would be describing just the exact brewing process used. Pretty sure all BMC beers are brewed this way.

2. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (650) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Bad press for InBev is good for the craft movement. Let us rejoice in it.

It won't budge those already hooked into drinking cases of Bud daily/weekly, but the younger generation whom is trying to find their beer drinking niche may be swayed now to go to other options.

craigo19 likes this.
  3. Yes, that's the most obvious explanation of the lawsuit's lone piece of hearsay evidence (I like the line "It’s unclear in the complaints how the plaintiffs determined the alcohol content was less than stated" in the Bloomberg piece- good luck with that lawsuit). And there are a lot of ex-AB employees and drinkers out there that fall under the "disgruntled" category after the InBev buyout.

But it does appear that InBev might have changed AB's ABV target at least according to this anonymous commenter at the Beervana blog who claims to be an ex-AB'er:
    (Saleablity? :eek: That's a new one- I guess it's another AB-ism like "drinkability").

Also interesting is the link to the ABTN blog noted by Stan Hienronymus in which they state their testing has seen Budweiser's abv is "Now as low as 4.94% after slipping from 4.98% earlier in the year.."

Crusader likes this.
  4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

According to the TABC link, Black Crown tests at 6.17% instead of the 6% listed on the label.

Bud Light Platinum, 6.19% vs 6% on label.

Bud Light 4.17%.

5. Damn it, I'm going to sue because that extra .19% got me too drunk when I was pounding my BL Platinum!

Brad007 likes this.
  6. Somewhere in Brazil Carlos Brito is buying an accountant a gold watch for figuring out how to save a tenth of a cent on each bottle of Bud.

7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I came to BA as soon as I read this was gonna post it. I was also gonna mention how funny it is, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Adolphus Busch actually hate the taste of Budweiser?

8. Ha, ha! So just buy a bottle of each - Bud & Black Crown or Bud Light & Bud Light Platinum - and the alcohol levels balances out. ;)

Something tells me that these 0.0X percents of alcohol these people are suing over are probably less than the amount of alcohol left in a poured bottle or can of beer or in the bottom and clinging to the sides of a consumed glass of beer.

9. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (450) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

Since there were almost 6 billion bottles of bud sold last year alone, I would hope they got something better than a gold watch. That's not even considering every other brand that is included in the lawsuit.

10. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I did it. All I wanted was a nice cold Bud to go with my subway sandwich and then, son of a bitch, the sandwich is only 11.5" inches long. I'm also suing Daytona even though I wasn't there.

GFG and ThatCracker like this.
  11. Can I sue for the all the noise violations I racked up as a result of the spontaneous beach parties that would break out on my front lawn each time I opened a can of Bud Light?

JohnQ, MrMcGibblets and ThatCracker like this.
  12. I'm kind of miffed the Spuds Mackenzie was a male role model for my dogs, until it came out he was transgender too.

Melikeydahop and fredmugs like this.
  13. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

I mean, it seems kinda pointless, we all know that that stuff is damn close to water, but even if it is 8% lower in ABV it still counts as beer (maybe closer to a small beer, but still beer nontheless)

14. DrDemento456, GFG and tolar111 like this.
  15. My two cents: While the law my allow for a margain of error, this was not a case of deviation. AB/InBev can control the alcohol content to the tiniest percentage point. They were intentionally lowering the alcohol % to the lowest they could and still stay within the mrgin of error.

My advice, start checking the alcohol content of your BCBS

16. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

jcb7472, ant880, Hatzilla and 2 others like this.
  17. well, my post was more of a joke than anything but this is what i was referring to:

In March 2009, Anheuser-Busch lost an appeal against the EU's Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM) decision to reject the registration of Budweiser as an EU-wide trademark for beer for Anheuser-Busch. The court pointed out that Budějovický Budvar had proven that it had been using the trade mark during at least the five years preceding the publication of Anheuser-Busch's application for a Community trade mark.

and lets not forget the original budweiser- Budweiser Bürgerbräu (Czech:Budějovický měšťanský pivovar), was founded in 1785. The company began exporting to the US in 1871. Anheuser-Busch started using the Budweiser brand in 1876 and registered it two years later in 1878.

for the sake of argument i lumped these two together.... and i have doubts if there was ever any monastery involved, though i readily admit i could be wrong

18. Yeah. You posted a photo of your abacus last night. You don't remember?

19. lsiberian

lsiberian Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 11, 2013

Just stop drinking it and you won't have these problems.

eduardolinhalis likes this.
  20. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

This is the version I was able to find:
    http://www.beerhistory.com/library/holdings/kingofbeer2.shtml

21. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

Last night the local news actually reported on this and was asking people their take on the matter. And where did they go to interview people about it? Only to one of the best beer bars in Philadelphia - Eulogy... Had me shaking my head.

22. What if this turned into a class action suit in favor of everyone who's tried Budweiser...

/twistsedgeofmustache

23. That story is from 1929, and as AB's 100th year anniversary book, Making Friends is Our Business (1953) wrote of it "A romantic story, but not a shred of it is true!" Conrad, a friend of Busch's, was a restauranteur in St. Louis who also had an import wine and liquor business and most accounts have him requesting a "Bohemian type" beer as a private label brand. AB was already brewing such a beer, even using rice as an adjunct, called St. Louis Lager. Maureen Ogle's Ambitious Brew has the most complete and most recent story of the beer's creation and she also notes that, though both men did travel through Europe, there's no evidence that either ever visited Budweis but both had had the beers from Budweis.

Busch did buy the rights to the Budweiser brand when Conrad's business failed in the early 1880's but there was no bad blood between the men. Conrad, by some accounts, was in the room when Busch died in 1913 after a day when both men went hunting together. (Never heard of Conrad joining the brewery.)

Kuemmelbrau and Crusader like this.
  24. funny thing is - the revelations only add to the legitimacy of the: "watered down crap" designation many of their products knee-jerkily earn.

25. Oh, yeah, they have a better case but they probably aren't likely to join any lawsuits anymore (except maybe on the other side). ;)

And I bit...:eek:

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  26. I was flipping through the channels and minutes ago just saw this segment on the local news. I figured this was essentially a fact that everyone knew of but just moved on and called AB's beer crap just like most commercial beer. Why is there now a lawsuit claimed against them or has this happened before?

27. Well, there was a lawsuit over a brewer adding the "wrong" water to their beer, and Anheuser-Busch was involved...​

28. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Doubtful. A 0.4% ABV drop (from 5% to 4.6%) represents .048 oz of alcohol, the same as would be left in 0.96 oz of 5% beer, or nearly 1/12 the can (this makes sense as 8%, the claimed drop, is right about 1/12).

29. Believe it or not, I had a friend who had this happen to him when he was interning at Gordon Biersch for the summer (the production brewery in SJ, not the brewpubs). I don't know all of the details, but apparently, he found a few superfluous lines in their spreadsheets, and when he pointed out the corrections, it ended up saving them over a $100,000 a year. He now gets kegs of Gordon Biersch for free whenever he wants them (too bad, I no longer like drinking Gordon Biersch).

30. mgbhoo

mgbhoo Zealot (85) Virginia Dec 8, 2011

31. WynnO

WynnO Advocate (500) Florida Oct 24, 2003

I got to believe that InBev relishes this lawsuit. First of all they will be on the right side. Secondly, such a result will just reinforce the love and loyalty that InBev's swillheads carry in their hearts. Third, and I am dreaming of course, a win could be the basis of a new commercial. Something like, "Budweiser---we know you love us, and we love you---we never have and never will lie about our beer." [cut to a Budweiser clydesdale being brushed by his keeper; horse and keeper make loving, trusting eye contact.]

It's enough to make you puke.

32. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Sadly, it probably is set at the lowest % it can be. There's still some left for sale here...maybe I can buy one and put the hydrometer in it...

...or I can just not buy it since it's AB-InBev

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  33. Sokool

Sokool Aficionado (210) Washington Jan 31, 2013

I just downed the last drop of a 22oz Ninkasi Tricerahops. You can't even think about budweiser after that without chuckling. And now this? Can't stop chuckling...

JohnQ likes this.
  34. I have some tips to improve Budweiser: Take out the adjunct malts and include more barley malts. Use better Lager yeasts. Put more (and better quality) hops in it... Take the opportunity to change its name since Budweiser is the name stolen from a good Czech Pilsener beer.

35. Oh, yeah? Which one?

Wait, how can a "Pilsener" beer be brewed in České Budějovice, which is over 100 km from Plzeň?:eek:

36. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

and stop using rice as a malt filler.

37. Well at least we know for sure that sex in a canoe and Bud Light are both f##king close to water.

Sokool and eduardolinhalis like this.
  38. 100km! Really that much!? I would spend years to make it... :p

39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010