1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Inbev being sued for 'weak beer'

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Soloveitchik, Feb 26, 2013.

1. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

The rednecks could use a little more water and a little less alcohol anyways.

2. Is this going to be a run-of-the-mill civil suit or a sensationalized, on TV every day criminal prosection?

3. MickeyD

MickeyD Aficionado (165) Kansas Feb 5, 2013

To me the point is not what the ABV is, They more than likely dilute before bottling. BUT when you buy a 12oz bottle of beer you expect it to be beer NOT a half and half beer and water mix, I don't actually know how much they dilute, this would be called hyperbole. I personally drink beer for the flavor. These types of beers, in my opinion do not have as much taste, and now we know why, and that is why I do not buy them.

4. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

It's not that simple, nothing ever is, but consistently brewing a beer with flavor that light time after time without noticeable flaw does take immense work/effort. The question of whether that work and effort is worth it is an entirely different subject.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Did anyone ever think that Black Crown is just regular Budweiser that hasn't been watered down as much?

DrunkethWizard and creepinjeeper like this.
  6. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

And, like most people expected, Budweiser uses the lab results to its advantage by promoting it on Twitter.

@Budweiser
    Update: Independent TV station’s investigative report confirms#Budweiser tests at 5% alcohol, as labeled -->pic.twitter.com/SeQ3BuojJI

7. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Don't these people worry about recieving a libel suit in return? :p

8. People (esp. BA posters) have suggested it, but it runs counter to the fact that Black Crown is the recipe created for the Brewmaster Project 12 named after their LA zip code- 91406. That beer was described:

“Our collaboration team used caramel malt on Batch No. 91406, which gives the beer a deep amber color and a little more body,” said Sullivan, whose signature will be on the bottle. “It has a little bit more hop character than our flagship Budweiser lager..."

There was also an brief urban legend (well, "internet myth" at least) claiming the same thing - that AB's 2005 Brew Masters Private Reserve Budweiser was undiluted high gravity Bud. Part of that was due to the somewhat rear label explanation:
    That turned out not to be the case, since it was also claimed to be an all-malt beer in other AB PR. Later years' versions of Brew Masters Private Reserve used a different recipe, and was claimed to be a dopplebock.

9. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Maybe I just really don't understand ABV%, but wouldn't that make the difference 0.09%?

Not trying to sound like an ass, but I really don't understand those numbers. Teach me something!

GFG likes this.
  10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

You're thinking of ABV as a percentage of alcohol instead of a number that can be divided to create a percentage of difference...

4.91 is 98.2% of 5... therefore the difference in ABV is 1.8% (Not 1.8% ABV... but the difference between the two numbers)

I can assign homework if you'd like.

11. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

If you'd prefer a less condescending reply, 4.91 is .09 less than 5, but it is also equivalent to 1.8% of 5. Just a different way of explaining the same number.

12. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Ah, yes. Math! I vaguely remember taking that once. Thanks guys!

13. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

14. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

class actions benefit one person, and one person only: the plaintiff's attorney. each class member get $1.12 while the attorney gets 7 figures in fees. an awesome use of resources.

15. the-gaz

the-gaz Initiate (15) May 23, 2012