1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Indeed Brewing, found wanting.

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by JohnSnowNW, Mar 27, 2013.

1. So, I had the Midnight Rider...was not impressed. Decided to give them another try with a Burr Grinder, tonight, and did not like that either. Burr Grinder smelled nice, but all I got in taste was some coffee and then water, with a slightly bitter finish. Didn't enjoy it at all, and won't be ordering either again.

People seem to like them, so I'm wondering if I just haven't had the good stuff. I've seen that they are working on a big expansion, at least in output per year. So far I just don't understand the love...

Chaz likes this.
  2. Day Tripper is pretty solid - I could probably slam a few of those watching some hoops.
    Just overpriced, IMO.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  3. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Day Tripper pretty much every weekend for me, and yes I agree it is a tad overpriced, but, stellar none the less. Midnight Rider is a pretty good though I am not a fan of the style. Old Friend was really good. Looking forward to Let It Ride IPA and Shenanigans Summer Ale as well.

4. I like their beers, but don't love them. I like bitter beers, but the three I've had all leave a lingering bitter aftertaste that is just a bit too much.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  5. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Day Tripper... overpriced? Are you sure you're buying 6 pack cans and not the older 750 ml growlers?

IMO, Day Tripper is one of the best (and sustainable in terms of marketing) beers to hit TC scene, whether locally brewed or not.

6. I initially passed on Day Tripper because it didn't seem that interesting. Seems as though I'll have to give it a try. I really want to like Indeed, but so far the cards are stacked against them.

7. caskstrength

caskstrength Savant (310) Minnesota Nov 26, 2008

At least for me, Indeed is on a trajectory to be the best MN brewery.

8. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Day Tripper is my new Furious, it's a great local beer, but, at roughly $10.79 for a six pack I find it a tad spendy. Having said that I agree that they are doing great things and with the addition of Shenanigans coming in 12 packs soon this summer should be great.

9. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Day Tripper is the shit! Had it on cask at the tap room a couple days ago dry hopped with summit hops...one of the tastiest beers on the planet!!

10. The cards are not stacked against them. I can't imagine any scenario where that would be true. You're on your own, buddy.

onenut, stinsonwbs and KWMiles like this.
  11. Here's the problem: If you hear that it's a pale ale, and turn yourself off from it, and never try it, you're the problem. If you hear that Day Tripper is a Pale Ale and you think to yourself, "that's not interesting to a beer geek like me", you are the problem. It's an incredibly delicious, wonderfully refreshing pale ale, hoppy as all get-out. Fuck Founders and Three Floyds, we've got great pale ales and IPAs right here!

12. I meant from my experience of their product. As in, I didn't like the two that I've had, so I'm not enthusiastic about another.

13. So what are your cards stacked towards?

14. Again, what I meant was that when I decided to purchase the Midnight Rider it was because it sounded more interesting. I had two choices, the APA or the BIPA, and I went with the latter. I'm not saying I won't drink an APA, I've got absolutely nothing against them.

15. Indeed is 0 for 2, so the odds are weighted against Day Tripper. I am hoping, however, that I enjoy it.

16. I'm with you kid! If I had to pick a FFF or Founders vs Indeed this cat is going Indeed. Heck if you made me drain pour those 2 for a free Indeed of Steel Toe just point out the drain. This has nothing to do with Founders or FFF beer. They rock it. I'm just not going to pass ST and Indeed up for these 2. Get all BA crazy on me but I'd rather see these cats grow and make new beer vs the other 2 who only grace there presence with occasional out of date beer in Hudson. Yes they do send some good stuff but FFF disappears months/years at a time and return with a small percentage of product out of date. Steel Toe or Indeed will never do this. Honestly I don't care if you buy the others it just leaves more of my favs for me .

feloniousmonk and Revenant like this.
  17. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (790) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

It might be wise to withhold judgment about day tripper until after you've actually tried it. Believe it or not, the flavors of the first two Indeed beers you've had in no way effect the flavor of day tripper.

Revenant and KWMiles like this.
  18. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

I dont like them enough to justify spending 9.99 on a six, but it seems to go on sale quite frequently at 7.99. Ive bought it at that price seveal times. Day Tripper in 12pks for about 14 bucks would be pretty nice.

19. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Hot Box (collab with Northbound) is the balls.

I prefer Midnight Ryder closer to room temp than right out of the fridge. Haywire (basically imperial MR) is great. Haven't had Burr Grinder. Stir Crazy is pretty decent. Really looking forward to their IPA release this year, should be very soon.

20. I totally agree. I would get a twelve pack every week in the summer at that price.
    But it's just too much for a six pack of local decent pale ale.

21. quote="KWMiles, post: 1126358, member: 700280"]Hot Box (collab with Northbound) is the balls.

I prefer Midnight Ryder closer to room temp than right out of the fridge. Haywire (basically imperial MR) is great. Haven't had Burr Grinder. Stir Crazy is pretty decent. Really looking forward to their IPA release this year, should be very soon.[/quote]

They had Hot Box @ The Blue Nile on Saturday, but I didn't try it. Now I wish that I had.
    Duo you know where else has this? Or is it tap only?

22. KWMiles

I've only had it at Northbound. And while you're there, their pork sandwich is retarded good. So are their waffle-battered onion rings and fried sandwich. Really can't say enough about the food there!

KarlHungus and lonewolfcry like this.
  23. Indeed is great, they make stellar beer for a very fair price, and they are being inventive and doing their own thing. Can't wait to try the IPA and eventually the rum barrel RIS.

arniepnminne and KWMiles like this.
  24. younger35

younger35 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 3, 2007

Had the Day Tripper on Cask and Dry Hopped with Summit this weekend. Fantastic. Hot Box was the best beer I drank all weekend and some friends and I basically hit every brewpub in town (thursday through sunday... Not all in one day :) ). Burr Grinder was a bit thin but the coffee was intense and delicious.

Give them another try!

25. maybe he just doesn't like beer?

Ish1 and feloniousmonk like this.

26. zzzzzzzzzzZ

27. ...when it's on sale

28. jokes.
    or the bottles for sale at the brewery...

29. ^^^^ it's it a fairer price at the brewery?
    If so, I'll go there then.
    I want to check it out anyway.

30. 750s of the flag ship beers for $5 burr grinder is $10 and hotbox which is probably gone was $12

31. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Bottles certinaly arent a better price then cans, but the pint prices at Indeed are nice. 4 for a pint, 4.50 for imp. pint.
    9.99 a six pk for a good pale ale really isnt terrible, problem I see is that for another buck I can get a 12pk of Saga. I realize I make that comparrison on almost every beer I consider buying now, especially APA's/IPA's.

32. KWMiles

Indeed, Saga is a steal.

feloniousmonk likes this.
  33. but the bottles are better price wise vs a pint...

34. With summer coming up, I just can't be throwing down $10-11 for a six pack of pale ale that goes down that quick. Give me Saga 12 packs.

derekpk likes this.
  35. I thought I made it clear in my first comment that I was looking to try some of their other beer because I hadn't liked what I'd already had, and other people really seemed to like them. Heaven forbid I have an opinion on something that differs from others. Anyway, I appreciate the information that has been provided, and I'll definitely try some of the other brews mentioned.

36. Old friend rocked! I only wish their stuff made it to the Roch

37. pillzsix

pillzsix Aficionado (150) Minnesota Mar 21, 2008

Here's an idea: We all stop writing threads based on the need for justification of a negative opinion. The outcome is never good. Either you get your throat jumped down (this thread), or the said brewery/brew(s) gets a bad rep. Even if people stick up for the brewery/brew, the thread is still started and thus plants the negative idea in people's head. I think we'd all agree that we want our local breweries to succeed. How about just putting our reviews of beer in the section designated to reviews...

38. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

If you've only tried two of the eleven brands they've released, but think: "the cards are stacked against them", you'd be doing them a big, big favor by giving their other nine brands the benefit of the doubt. Still, opinions on this site can become prone to group think from time-to-time, so call 'em like you see 'em -- not everyone will jump down your throat. ;)

(P.S. Day Tripper is very good for what it is, so give it a shot!)

39. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

We all have opinions, and sometimes people feel the need to defend a brewery they like (especially a new brewery) which is fine. I live less than a mile from Indeed and love having them in the neighborhood, but here is my attempt at an unbiased opinion of their beers. Also, if you go to the taproom they always have a cask or two (I am a fan of most cask beers I have tried), a Nitro option (hit and miss for me), and sometimes infused options as well (the chocolate/vanilla Midnight Ryder was suprisingly good).

Flagships:
    Day Tripper - ($9.99/six pack, is that really too expensive?) APA hopped almost like an IPA - Fantastic, and maybe my preferred APA brewed in Minnesota (favorite style BTW)...Draught/cask they have all been good.
    Midnight Ryder - They call it an American Black Ale (a vague style, for sure), ok I'll go with that. But, when I take a friend to the taproom, I always say it is more of a hoppy Porter, and I think a solid one at that. I have favored the cask versions over draught.

Seasonals I have tried:
    Shennanigans - A Pale Wheat Ale, nothing very interesting here...I will give this one another shot when it is actually summer.
    Haywire - One of the best American Black Ales (closer to a black IPAish beer) I have ever had, and I am waiting for the re-release
    Fresh Hop - Wet hopped APA, too thin, too bitter, lacking in flavor and aroma from those fresh hops.
    Sweet Yamma Jamma - Spice coming mostly from the yeast, maybe a bit sweet but I enjoyed this one
    Old Friend - Spicy winter warmer, and too spicy for my tastes. I know some people like this, just not for me.
    Stir Crazy - Another winter warmer, but this one has a very subtle spice to it and is mostly just a solid malty beer. I could easily have a couple of these.
    Hot Box - Too smokey and not enough of the peppers. I am not a huge fan of smoked beers, but I was really hoping for some capsaicin to come through on this as well.
    Burr Grinder - What I told my wife and friends last weekend at the taproom was to not expect another malty stout or porter like everyone else seems to be doing with their coffee beers. Yeah it is a dryer amber ale, but I like how it seems to showcase the coffee in a different way...and honestly I probably still prefer the stout or porter, but I did like this one.

40. People have opinions on this website. I for one, want to hear them.

pandera and JohnSnowNW like this.