1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Indiana Beer Laws

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by rlee1390, May 8, 2012.

1. rlee1390

rlee1390 Savant (470) Indiana Mar 6, 2010

In the fall/late summer I'll be moving to Bloomington to start work on my PhD. Are there any crazy beer laws I should know about? Thanks.

2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

No carry out sales on Sundays is the big one. If you're planning to watch football and drink beer all day Sunday (cuz what else would you do???), make sure you plan ahead.

aasher likes this.
  3. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

There are no carryout sales form package stores, but breweries are allowed (as of 2010) to sell carryout beer on Sunday. So, you could go over to Upland and get a growler filled or bottles there, but not to a Big Red Liquors down the street.

4. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

Groceries are also not allowed to sell cold beer. Many of the remaining bottles of Rare are roasting on the shelves at various Krogers.

aasher and MarkIntihar like this.
  5. MarkIntihar

Good to know. Wouldn't have helped me last year in Terre Haute though :(

6. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

ID required for any alcohol purchase.

7. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

There's very little that can help the poor, hapless souls trapped in Terre Haute, I'm afraid.

Kyrojack, Lukafer, aasher and 2 others like this.
  8. rlee1390

rlee1390 Savant (470) Indiana Mar 6, 2010

Thanks guys. I guess not buying on Sunday isn't that bad compared to abv caps and PA's case law.

9. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

No but Paris could have

MarkIntihar likes this.
  10. MarkIntihar

Haha, we definitely made a trip or two there in times of need :D

11. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

Yep there were lots of sundays where I woke up and realized I drank all of the beer, only to make the trek to restock.

12. Hey question regarding this law. I lived in Indiana most of my life and never have been able to purchase beer anywhere to go on Sundays, but the day after Dark Lord (a Sunday) I stopped into FFF to see what was left on tap, and they were selling beer to go. There was a large line just for to gos. How do breweries have the ability to sell on Sundays in Indiana when no one else can?

13. MarkIntihar

I wasn't aware the law had changed either, but denimdemon says it's been that way since 2010. Progress :)

14. kiwifuz

kiwifuz Aficionado (175) Indiana Oct 27, 2005

Yep breweries are allowed to sell to go beer just like wineries can sell wine. There is a limit though on the number of cases/growlers/etc that you can buy at one time. Also the location has to actually brew on premises. So a non-brewing pub branch of a brewery that might sell their beer to go can not sell it on Sundays (Upland's Indy tap room, Barley Island's short lived pub, BJ's, etc).

Also, not every brewery is open and chooses to sell on Sundays, but most do.