1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Infamous Brewing - Austin

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by aschwab, Jan 21, 2013.

1. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

Anyone know anything about them? Their website seems to not have changed in some time, and yet they continue to advertise in the Austin Beer Guide (even the latest issue said they would be out in Fall 2012).

Just curious if this brewery is actually happening and when we would see stuff out from them?
  2. JonathanL7890

JonathanL7890 Savant (315) Texas Dec 1, 2007

I follow them on FB and they just recently posted that they got tanks (15 bbl) in. So they seem to be moving along.
  3. aschwab

I would think that if they were just now getting tanks, they would not still be running an advertisement of Fall 2012...
  4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

As per their Fb, posted on Friday:

Exciting week at Infamous...
    First of our 15bbl tanks arrived.
    Bought a delivery van.
    Finished up our bottle filler & capper.
    Test fired our burner system.
    Shouldn't be long till we are able to share our brews with the thirsty masses.
  5. aschwab

I went to their facebook page after that was posted. It sounds like they are "almost" there...which is good.

Anybody had a chance to try any of their beer or know anything about what they will be making?
  6. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

INfamous in when you're more than famous. This brewery, they're not just famous, they're INfamous.

ISO: Infamous El Guapo Ale
    JJFoodie and cam_williams like this.
  7. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

This old article has the most information on them I've seen: CLICK!
  8. aschwab

"Our first planned seasonal will be our Pumpkin Pecan Porter or “Plymouth Massacre,” which we are really excited to have out for the fall,” Perry said."

So I am guessing that will not be happening.....
  9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Just what Texas needs... more investment bankers starting breweries. New York City types too at that.
  10. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Speaking of new breweries, what happened to Moonlight Tower? Their website hasn't been updated for almost two years.
  11. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

As long as they make good beer.

It could happen.
    Clonies720 and mrkmrk like this.
  12. Yea, who cares. Unless their nazis or KKK, if the beer is good, I'll drink it.
  13. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Maybe the bubble has busted for all these new start ups around Austin.

"Oh wait you have to work your ass off? And you don't get rich? Ahh shit. I'm out."

BK
  14. They must have thought everything would happen much quicker than it does in real life. It seems like pretty much every brewery says they will be open on day X and it never happens. Some miss by weeks, others by months.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  15. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

16. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

How many breweries does Austin have now... ten thousand?
  17. omnigrits

Live Oak
    Independence
    (512)
    Thirsty Planet
    Circle
    Twisted X
    Jester King
    Hops and Grain
    South Austin
    Austin Beerworks
    Adelberts
    Rogness

I think that's all of them. Would someone care to add the brewpubs?

Man, this sure is a good town to be living in right now.
  18. acbe

acbe Savant (285) Texas Jul 23, 2011

NXNW
    Black Star Co-op
    Uncle Billy's
    Pinthouse Pizza
    Draught House
    Whip In

ABGB (opening soon)
  19. Danielbt

Flix.
  20. acbe

acbe Savant (285) Texas Jul 23, 2011

Insert "I thought we were talking about Austin" joke here.
  21. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (140) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Tried an old ale and a cream ale from these guys recently and enjoyed both. I think the cream ale could probably do for Infamous, what the honey ale did for Guadalupe. I think they'll be a nice new addition to the Austin beer scene.
  22. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Another brewery that is working on getting going in ATX is Bush Baby Beer. They brew beer and send some of the proceeds back to the owner's home country in Africa to fund clean water projects.

If anyone is doing SXSW stuff, they'll be pouring beers on Tuesday 3/12 at Key Bar for the Mixtape Marketing party. Last year they had a 2 different varieties of cream ale and then something else. I think the cream ale will be their flagship beer going forward. Nice people but I think they had issues with dispensing the beer.

BK
    bccocx likes this.
  23. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (140) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Launch party for these dudes on the 28th. Going to have 3 of their beers on and have them down at Bangers talking about their brew.
  24. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

25. Tamra

Tamra Initiate (0) Texas Mar 10, 2013

I have tasted the first two beers from Infamous and will say the IPA is legit. Once they are complete and running, Opal Divines on 6th will have a keg of that very tasty IPA on the tap wall.
  26. morsetx

morsetx Aficionado (175) Texas Mar 10, 2013

Had the ipa at draught house and very impressed. Does anybody know where the brewery is located?
  27. DaveTX

DaveTX Initiate (15) Apr 4, 2013

Yeah, the IPA is definitely legit. The brewery is out in Lakeway (not that there's much of a lake there anymore).
  28. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I call it Lakebed now.

Anyone had the cream ale?
  29. The cream ale is pretty good, but gotta be in the mood for a cream ale (which is very rare for me).

I was actually not a fan of the IPA, but I think it's more that I don't like their hop profile rather than it not being a good IPA.
  30. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (425) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Isn't it weird that the two people who called their IPA 'legit' have only posted once?
  31. Danielbt

Too hoppy for the style, but that always happens. Not bad, not amazing.
  32. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

o_O My God...
  33. Danielbt

Blacklisted! Dirty bastards.
  34. aschwab

I have more than one post.

I like their IPA. But I generally rotate between 5 or 6 local IPAs when drinking. They are on the rotation.
  35. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

He was referring to Dave and Tamra. It does seem a tad suspicious. ;)
  36. uhcougar

uhcougar Aficionado (155) Texas Mar 27, 2010

I am sitting here trying their IPA for the first time, from a growler someone gave me this weekend. It is "legit" as some others have reported. It is super-hoppy, but sometimes that is what I am going for in an IPA.

This is my 15th post, so hopefully no alarms are going off at BAHQ.
  37. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

One of the co-founders of Jester King was an investment banker. So in spite of your sarcasm, you may be right.
    air likes this.
  38. air

air Savant (325) Texas Mar 28, 2007

And in case you didn't know, Brock Wagner was also a former investment banker.

Not much of a shocker there since high paying jobs mean setting aside enough money to eventually self-capitalize starting your own business, in this case, a brewery. Also see former lawyers (Michael Peticolas, Jeff Stuffings).
    jsboots21 and Clonies720 like this.
  39. aschwab

Hell, the more lawyers that are brewers, the more likely they may fight the laws that keep them down.
    jsboots21 likes this.
  40. omnigrits

Jeff was a public defender, and by his own admission not a very good one. He is, however, a top class brewer :cool:
    jsboots21 likes this.