Infected Berzerker?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by sprucetip, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (520) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Anyone know anything about the new batch of Berzerker being infected? A friend in Anchorage, whom I believe to be a reliable source of information, had been told by someone close to the brewery that it had an infection (he knew the name of the organism but I don't recall) that would make it sour, possibly within 6 months. I've had a couple of bottles recently that were fine. Great actually. But I'm sitting on some too, and not sure if I should drink sooner rather than later. I prefer Berzerker with some years on it, so I'm not sure how to handle the remaining bottles. Anyone know/heard anything?

2. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I've had 2 bottles, both of them were totally fine.

3. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (375) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I heard the bourbon barrel T.R.E.A.T was infected; case of mistaken identity?

cosmicevan and hopsbreath like this.
  4. I have had a couple bottles, they were fantastic! I do know of a couple other BAs that split a bottle when it first arrived and they said it was nasty. We have all since shared a bottle and it was great. They said there was no way that it was the same beer. I guess an infection is possible? But wouldn't the infection be in all bottles?

5. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (340) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Have not heard anything about that...have not cracked any open yet either.

6. youradhere

youradhere Savant (485) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Anything that is put into any "filthy" barrel stands the chance of infection. Any and all BA beers are potentially infected.

Levitation and BrewBoone like this.
  7. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

So, a friend of a friend says Berserker is infected?
    I'm not ready to be concerned yet.

8. youradhere

youradhere Savant (485) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

I heard Berserker has anthrax and pig flu, and the proceeds support Al Queda in northern Africa. Also, it gives you beer farts the next day.

jl28r1 and Lordkrystic like this.
  9. sprucetip

The friend knows people in their yeast lab, and was given a specific name of an organism, bacteria I think. I hope he is wrong, but he typically knows what he is talking about. I was just curious if anyone else had heard anything.

10. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

That's fair. But since a lot of BA's have had it and there have been no first-hand reports of an infection - yet - I'm not concerned - yet.

11. sprucetip

If you read my initial post, he said the affects of the purported infection would show at approximately 6 months. I hope his info is wrong, and that it's not, for a myriad of reasons. But one of those is that Berzerker, to me, is better after 2-3 years than it is fresh.

12. I opened a 2012 Berserker last night and noticed a slight cherry/sour flavor in my bottle. My bottles are all stored in a refrigerator that is well below 55 degrees.

I had a bottle from the same batch when it landed here in Oregon and it was incredible without the off flavors.

13. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

The TREAT I had was infected. Midnight Sun was quick to respond to my email and sent me a t-shirt to compensate for the brew. They run a great operation. I will be opening my berserker sooner rather than later, though. I don't want to risk that one, too.

14. sprucetip

thanks

15. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

Well, this is not good. I'm going to drink my bottle soon, and probably stop buying Midnight Sun products for a while, if true.

16. Sent email to MS will post response as soon as I get it !
    Have my first and only bottle from this year and I want to know whats going on !

smutty33 and cosmicevan like this.
  17. I don't want to start a frenzy with my post as I thoroughly enjoy MS products. Before making any rash decisions lets make sure this isn't just an isolated case. :)

sprucetip likes this.
  18. sprucetip

I support this suggestion. MSBC has a history of treating its customers fairly.

19. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

So just how "close to the brewery" is this friend of a friend? If it's a person who works at the brewery and actually knows something concrete, then I'd hope Midnight Sun would just put out a statement (similar to what Boulevard did with Chocolate Ale and BBQ) stating the situation and laying out what, if anything, they're prepared to do about it. If it's a person who doesn't work at the brewery, then this is potentially just a case of idle rumor-mongering, well-intentioned or not.

I ask this as a person who has four bottles of 2012 Berserker. Based on this thread I pulled them from the deep recesses of the cellar today and put them in the "on deck" circle. I'll drink at least one before any infection really takes hold, as I've never had this beer before.

BrewBoone likes this.
  20. sprucetip

He doesn't work there. I have 4 bottles as well, which is why I started the thread. Just wanted to know what others knew or experienced. Much as I like it better aged, drinking sooner may well be the best strategy.

21. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (340) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Thanks for contacting them. Nothing like going to the brewery itself to clear things up. I'm making the decision to do nothing until the fog clears.

BrewBoone and cosmicevan like this.
  22. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, no one has even reported an infection directly. I just opened a 2012 Berserker last Sunday. It was perfect. Preparing to boycott Midnight Sun over infection rumors is a bit of an over-reaction.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  23. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Oak Aged Treat was infected. Had 2 bottles that were infected. They were certainly on top of their customer service and sent me 2 other bottles of their beers! Trickster and Treat which was totally unexpected and just wonderful.

bifrost17 likes this.
  24. just curious, but why would you cellar it without ever having tried it?

cosmicevan likes this.
  25. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Too many other beers ahead of it in the queue. Damn breweries keep releasing new ones. Like every week.
    Trust me, I'm drinking them as fast as I can.

Rutager, smutty33, NWer and 3 others like this.
  26. i hear ya. we live in a damn good time for beer.

Lordkrystic and draheim like this.
  27. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

yeah its infected.

28. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I tried it when it came out in Oregon about 2? months ago and thought it was incredibly hot, like almost undrinkable hot. I was planning to age the one I have left.

Hopefully we get some confirmation one way or the other

29. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (320) Washington May 13, 2010

We got the confirmation, see BrewBoone above. I had one this weekend out of curiosity, and it was fine, but I am glad to know that my remaining bottles should be consumed soon.

30. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Yep. Drink em up chappies!

31. keef

keef Aficionado (110) New York Sep 19, 2006

What does the brewery plan to do for individuals with infected bottles?

32. I opened one last night and not a hint of infection. Just saying.

33. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Confirmation from who? Does BrewBoone work for the brewery? Not trying to be a dick, but I'm going to need to see/hear more than "yeah it's infected" to believe there's something to worry about. Just sayin'.

CORKSCREWFISH and sprucetip like this.
  34. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I guess this is kind of a bummer, as I have two bottles I planned to age; but then again, it's nice to know before it starts to turn. I had one a couple of months ago and love it fresh, so I can hardly complain about having an excuse to drink them soon!

35. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

subscribed. awaiting the response from the brewery before having a berserker party.

36. sprucetip

my thoughts exactly. A little explanation would be helpful

37. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (320) Washington May 13, 2010

I think that's all he can say because he no longer works there, which I didn't realize when I posted. I consider it an unofficial but reliable confirmation. That's good enough for me, but I understand why others may want the official news.

38. sprucetip

Makes sense. Jeremiah?? Just curious out loud, no response needed.

39. Just cracked a 2012. It is a touch thinner than one opened about 2 months ago, and it starting to get a little tang. It is still easily drinkable, but I have put the rest of mine in the bottom of the refrigerator to retard what is coming.

40. sprucetip

I regret making the comment above. It was stupid, bad and wrong. I am sorry and wish I could take it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.