1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Infected Berzerker?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by sprucetip, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprucetip must of left a drunk response
    I am still waiting for word.

2. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

So........I've got one bottle left.....I'd like to save it, but do all you fine people really think I should open er up? I've had two bottles so far since the release and both were phenomenal, no traces of infection.

3. Drank my last bottle last night. I touch more thin, a bit of tang on the nose and a tannic/metallic aftertaste. Not going to get any better from here folks. Bottoms up!

4. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (330) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

For what it's worth, I consumed a bottle this evening and found it to be excellent. It was my first Berserker, so did not have any prior Berserker experience to compare to, but I did not detect anything to indicate it's going downhill (yet). I'll probably space my last two out and see what happens over time.

I also emailed MSBC and am waiting on "the word."

5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Just opened my first as well, prompted by this thread. Smells and tastes wonderful. Rich, roasty, bourbony.

6. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Good news. If it is infected via the barrels, and not all of the barrels harbored the organism, then there very well may be some bottle variation. Based on the totality of the comments above, that's what I think is going on. I'm glad to hear the stories of bottles tasting awesome (as mine did about 2 weeks ago), but I don't discredit the reports of bottles that were sour or had changed.

BrewBoone likes this.
  7. I have had two bottles of the latest release, one about a week ago, and they both were fantastic. Just sayin.

8. All 3 bottles I've had of the current release have been excellent.

9. Same here.

10. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I cracked one last night and it was not good.

had a flavor similar to soy sauce or hoisin sauce and was undrinkable, I did try though.

ended up dumping it.

bummer.

11. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (355) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

Anybody hear back from Midnight Sun yet?

12. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

the bottles i've opened have all been awesome.

13. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (330) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

No. About a week ago they said they were trying to get more info. Nothing since then.

14. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

This, for me, exactly.

15. The email system at MSBC must be extremely overloaded .. I am still awaiting any sort of reply on my query and that was sent 12/2

16. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

same for me too. i wouldn't say quiet a tang but more like a vinous character(like it was aged in red wine barrels) which i enjoyed. but it is different than when it was first released.

17. draheim

NWer likes this.
  18. That was for the older versions, I believe. I am looking for the thread where it is mentioned that this batch was all bourbon barrel-aged.

19. I am thinking i may drink mine today. To good of a beer to risk it

20. draheim

Ah, you're right. Didn't notice the 2010 date @ the bottom. I looked at one of my bottles last night and it said something like "aged in oak whiskey barrels" so maybe no wine barrels were used this time.

21. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

never had this brew before, but just cracked open my one bottle and i'm getting a similar tang in the nose. I don't know what this is supposed to taste like, but I'm underwhelmed.

22. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Popped one now to enjoy (or not) during Seahawks game. Boozy, rich, thick. Tastes good to me. None of the off-tastes noted by others. Since I didn't buy all mine at the same time or place, this might be hit or miss.

23. dirtylou

I'm not sure my bottles infected - I think I just dont like it. I get this same odd dry/vedgetal finish in this that I got in TREAT, which I really liked last year but hated this year. Oh well - she's drinkable, and I'll choke her down.

24. NWer

I should have added a disclaimer. My palate isn't all that sophisticated and if there is very early stage infection, I probably wouldn't know.
    Mine is tasty though for what it's worth.

distantmantra likes this.
  25. dirtylou

I've been reading Viniella's blog for weeks - my shit's sophisticated as they come

26. NWer

Yup. That'll do it. I defer to you from now on :)

27. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

a buddy popped a bottle at a tasting & it tasted fantastic. we were only 2 bottles into the share when it was opened. though i am worried for the bottle that i have tucked away. cheers!

exitmusic00 likes this.
  28. Had a bottle yesterday, tasted damn fine to me.

exitmusic00 likes this.
  29. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I got lucky and purchased two bottles this year(at the same time).

1st bottle was Phenomenal,quite poss. "the " beer of the year for me!

Have one left and I just don't know what to do........:eek:

Cheers All......

30. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

This goddamn thread made me 2nd guess myself... My crew has opened a few of the current bottling and all have been spectacular. Tonight's bottle is no exception.

I wonder if the maple syrup/molasses fermenting out would leave a flavor that folks associate with infection. There are the traditional dark fruit notes common in massive dark brews, combine with some oak and maybe vanilla from the barrel? No idea, but my bottle was NOT infected nor showing any early signs.

Cheers and hope this was helpful... Toby.

Edit... and just in case anybody asks, this bottle spent a month at room temperature and then 2 weeks in my cellar which is always about 60 degrees.... No idea what it was at before purchase.

smutty33 and exitmusic00 like this.
  31. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

Berserker has become much rarer in the PNW in the last two weeks.

draheim and bifrost17 like this.
  32. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Hmmmm, maybe I should try this side by side with Hellshire II...

ellswrth likes this.
  33. Drank mine last night because of all of this. Thin but not infected. Didn't do much for me really.

34. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Aficionado (170) Maine Feb 18, 2010

Would somebody care to clarify exactly how many times Berzerker has been bottled and sold to general pub? Also, when did they switch the label?

35. Pretty sure label is new this year
    No clue how long its been bottled tho

36. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

label is new this year, but not sure how long they have been making it. At least 5 years, but I think longer.

37. gueuzer

gueuzer Savant (260) Colorado Jun 9, 2010

it goes back to at least 2005, maybe later.

38. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

There have been three labels. The newest one came out this year. There were two with the axe and not quite sure how many with just the vintage on it.

39. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

40. Drinking one right now. Fantastico as always. Impending doom? I need a little more proof.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.