1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Infected Berzerker?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by sprucetip, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Still no word from M.S.
    I am just going to have crack that bad boy soon
    Thats all there is too it.
    BTW I love the 2nd generation label the best !

2. Has anyone that has reached out to the brewery received a response yet? It would be great to hear something from them regarding the issue, whether it is a known infection or not.

3. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

We opened one the other night and no signs of any infection. The infected Oak Aged Treat we had you could definitely tell even when it was fresh.

4. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (735) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Yeah, that was an interesting evening in that we opened 3 beers with rumors of infection and no one present detected any off smells or flavors in any of them. I start to think that some people cry "infection" any time a beer doesn't live up to everything they were expecting.

LoPo87 likes this.
  5. Not me. Mine was infected.

6. kscaldef

Here's what you wrote two pages back:

Maybe you have incredible palate memory, but confidently stating that it is a "touch thinner" than 2 months ago is something I have to question a bit. I certainly couldn't make such a claim, particularly as I know my perceptions are affected by what I've eaten, what other beers I've had, how large a pour of the beer I'm drinking. "A little tang" is also something which can come from the bourbon, from the oak, from the molasses and also might not indicate infection. We perceived a little sharpness in the finish of the beer, but nothing that resembled even mild infections in other beers I've encountered.

Personally, I need a little more before I'm going to believe this rumor.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  7. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (355) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

I'm pretty disappointed with the Midnight Sun folks for not responding to multiple inquiries.

8. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

did you see my post on the last page? My last bottle didn't have a "little tang" it was massively infected and completely undrinkable. It didn't taste like a BBA imperial stout, it tasted like somebody tried to blend their asian condiments and ferment it until it became alcoholic. Tried and failed.

At a certain point you are either going to have to take people's word for it, or not. I would hope that people here would be honest enough to share their actual experience and not try to game the system. Midnight Sun isn't exactly a huge business and this kind of problem could cause them serious headaches both financial and otherwise.

9. beenitty

beenitty Savant (340) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

If youre really upset, write them a letter. Nothing lets them know you mean business like the old school handwritten angry letter. Its worked for me many times.

They'll get back to you.

BTW: Anyone worried about their Berseker, Ill swap with ya any day of the week. I've had it 3X since release, so sooo good.

10. kscaldef

You wrote:

That's a description of a bad beer, not an infected beer. "Soy sauce" is a classic off-flavor in stouts, but not caused by infection.

FWIW, I'm not actually all that fond of this batch of Berzerker. I believe it's because the molasses contributes some flavors that just don't appeal to me. But, I'm not going to call that an infection. I call that "a beer I don't like".

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  11. It is a tough job to second guess someone else's mouth from 2500 miles.

12. DimensionX

hah, well it was certainly a bad beer o_O

but it was also a significantly different beer than the other bottle I had 3(?) months previous. And I'm not talking about the normal changes that a beer should go through in a few months, this sucker went way bad and not just "I don't care for the flavors" bad, more of a "WTF is this shit?" drainpour bad.

It wasn't a subtle change

13. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Did it breed with your DIPA?

KrangTheConqueror likes this.
  14. DimensionX

haha I do have a few bottles that I haven't had the heart to dump, they were gonna be your christmas present though.

it turns out that 20 oz of hops in a 5 gal batch might be too much of a good thing.

15. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Plllth. I don't buy it. Treat em right, unlike your philandering Berserker, and it's golden.

16. DimensionX

yeah the hops taste good, too bad the rest of the beer is a piece of shit.

17. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (290) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

I shared a bottle of Berserker last night, probably my fifth bottle of the 2012 version. No signs of any defects in any of the bottles. Rich and bourbony goodness to the last drop. I'm sad I only have one left but I am planning to hold on to it for at least a year, unless MS announces something....

18. Haven't a few of you emailed the brewery with questions about a potential infection? If there was no problem or infection, don't you think the brewery would happily and promptly get back to you with a "no infection" response?

libbey and BrewBoone like this.
  19. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (355) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

I was expecting a response to my email. Someone posed the question to them on their Facebook page as well. I think Beenity is probably right though, and they'd be more likely to respond to pen and paper.

20. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (410) Washington Oct 17, 2010

I've had a couple this year and know that several buddies had multiples as well, no signs of infection...

ellswrth likes this.
  21. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (630) California Oct 17, 2010

drinking one right now advised by the former brewer. unfortunately its goin south. definetly sour unfortunately which sucks so much because it was freakin incredible in october, best vintage to date...

BrewBoone likes this.
  22. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

What I haven't seen in a lot of the "my bottle was great" posts is whether or not you'he had Berserker before. I've had a few bottles from past batches that were absolutely outstanding, world class beers, and I've also had bottles from this year that were almost as amazing, other than being quite hot as they were fresh. However, the last bottle I opened definitely had some strange flavors going on. I wouldn't say it was sour yet but it id have some twang that I haven't had in Berserker before. It was missing that deep bourbon and maple flavor that makes it so good. Bottom line is there are certainly bottles that are off. Whether or not you want to risk yours is your choice but ill be drinking the other 3 or 4 bottles I have sooner rather than later.

23. Emailed brewery never heard shit
    Drank mine on the Mayan Apocalypse nite
    Happy to say ALL WAS FINE
    On every count :)

smutty33 likes this.
  24. NWer

NWer Advocate (670) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Your observations are good enough for me. I will be drinking mine sooner rather than later. Too bad.

25. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

My bottle had a very vinous quality with some metallic twinges that disappeared as the beer warmed.

26. Shall we take bets on whether or not 3000 will be infected?

BrewBoone and podunkparte like this.
  27. Better send a bottle of 3000 my way just as form of quality control !!

cosmicevan likes this.
  28. keef

keef Aficionado (120) New York Sep 19, 2006

It'd be nice to hear from the brewery....That doesn't seem to be happening for anybody. Is this typical for MS?

BrewBoone likes this.
  29. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

This thread scarred me, so I opened one presently. Don't get any sense of infection, thick and great like the last bottle I drank from. There's a little red wine character to it, that same thing was there the first time I had a bottle from the latest batch though. This bottle has been in my fridge since I got it fwiw. Now I'm sad I got scarred and didn't want to send it to one of my regular traders, it's pretty damn good.

The Oak Aged TREAT on the other hand, that was nasty.

30. yuriruley

yuriruley Aficionado (210) Oregon Oct 13, 2009

Think I am just going to hang on to my remaining bottle, as I already had one. The first one was pretty awesome. Will see what this bottle is like at a later date.

guajolote likes this.
  31. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (245) Washington Feb 26, 2011

The one I opened the other day was great. No sign of infection and I really doubt it's infected...there were no hints of it, even when it got relatively warm near the end.

32. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (340) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

This conversation seems kinda bizarre to me. The rumor is that this is am infection that was detected in a lab and would not manifest itself for about 6 months. While there is no mention of whether this is timed from the brewing, bottling or release, I'm going to guess it's one of the latter. This means that, even if the rumor is true (although it is, at this point, just an internet rumor), it shouldn't make it's presence known at this point, so it seems premature to say it's not infected because the bottle you had last night tasted fine. Glad you guys are enjoying yours, though. For my part, I'm using this as an excuse to pare down by bloated cellar and have been loving every last drop of this beer so far!

juzy likes this.
  33. I opened all five of mine since the release. My first one was thin bodied and slightly metallic, that along with this thread made me crack open all of them this winter. 1 out of 5 had issues, the other 4 were great.

34. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Just opened another one tonight. What's the opposite of good?

I fought through one glass and my drain got to taste the rest of the sour coffee garbage that was left in the bottle. Sure wish I had bottles like the rest of you guys :confused:

35. juzy

juzy Savant (380) Alaska Mar 9, 2005

I wasn't going to reply to this, but I recall reading somewhere back in this massive thread that the former brewer DID confirm that it was infected. I was also told this personally. Not a rumor, but confirmation from someone that knows. And yes, it's not going to present itself right away and it will be different for everyone depending on how you store your bottles. The last one I had was fine, but I've had a few people tell me that theirs are starting to show signs of infection. I think the best advice that has been given on here is to drink it now if you still can. As for MSBC, keep contacting them or not. I think someone said that if everything was kosher they would've replied to you by now. This makes sense to me. They still may contact everyone that has emailed, called, written, but I just imagine they are trying to get to the bottom of this before saying anything definitive.
    So hows about we just let this thread die, knowing that it's not a rumor and it is infected, and not everyone's bottles are going to present the same.

36. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (340) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Because that would make sense, and that's not now the internet works :)

37. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Because until they publicly own up to it, it is better to keep the pressure on. Did they publicly say anything about this year's Oak Aged Treat or did they just respond to inquiries?

I have to say though, I've had two bottles. One shortly after release and one a couple weeks ago. They have both been fantastic with no signs of infection showing yet. I'll have to consume mine fairly soon.

38. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

The responded to Oak Aged Treat by pulling it from the market. It wasn't distributed out of Alaska so it was very easy for them to do that I guess. I emailed them saying I had 2 bottles and they responded immediately owning up to the problem and telling me that they pulled all the bottles as fast as they could and I must have gotten it first.

They sent me a bottle of Trickster and Treat as an apology which I was quite happy about, customer service was top notch.

juzy and Dogfishipas like this.
  39. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I've got to say that I picked up three bottles at Special brews in Lynnwood, WA at least a few weeks before regular TREAT started showing up. I don't know if that was a mistake that those got out or they got out just before MS stopped it.

I've heard stories like your's about their good customer service which is what surprises me about this a little. It seems like what they could have done just say hey guys we do not expect this one to age well. We expect the beer to start to develop fruity sour notes that do not go well with this style. We advise everyone who bought Berserker this year to drink it as soon as possible. Best before date of x/x/xx. Then simply apologize.

That would get them out of having to use the dreaded word "infection." It was also guarantee that as many people as possible would get to enjoy this at its peak.

juzy likes this.
  40. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Aficionado (170) Maine Feb 18, 2010

Had 2 great bottles of the 2012, didn't wanna believe the infection issues.

Just cracked my 3rd and it is without question infected.

Proceed with caution when aquiring, damn shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.