1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Infected Peruvian Morning

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by WITTBEER, Mar 10, 2013.

1. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Off -topic - am I the only one sitting on an actually infected 2012 waiting to see what it turns into in five years? I have a mild soft spot for weirdly infected beers, granted I didn't pay through the nose for em. I actually ended up liking that infected chocolate thing from boulevard.

dlello2 likes this.
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I have a couple four packs as well... Some of my favorite sours are accidents (Boulevard Impy Stout Batch 2,nom nom).

3. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

wait you guys are still drinkin non-infected? noobs. bet you fully cook your thanksgiving turkeys too

Ungertaker, Grohnke, davey101 and 2 others like this.
  4. Seven999

Seven999 Aficionado (100) Illinois Oct 18, 2010

I opened a Peruvian Morning tonight and it was definitely infected. Pretty prominent sour smell and taste (I had another person confirm it for me just to make sure I wasn't crazy). It's been my only infected bottle out of 5 I've opened so far - I have 7 more to open, hopefully no more will be infected.

5. Was this 2012 or this years? (2013)

6. Seven999

It was this years', 2013, for sure. I finished all my 2012 PM last spring.

7. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Good lord, someone please kill this thread. It passed its half-life of usefulness months ago.

Ish1 and harrylee773 like this.
  8. This thread is less than a month old :confused:

9. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I stupidly made my own point, I thought this was the old thread that's been going on since 1998 & continues to confuse people. Including, evidently, me.

fiver29 and JohnfromPurdue like this.
  10. Well the same thing happened to me. I've had at least 20 bottles this year without problems, but finally got a bad 4 pack and had to drain pour them. They were undrinkable.

funhog likes this.
  11. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (275) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

Just opened my 17th bottle from the latest release. Once again, simply amazing!

maximum12 likes this.
  12. I've never had quality control problems with CW, I wish I could say the same for O'so *cough* Lupulin maximus *cough*

13. jmdarcy

jmdarcy Aficionado (125) Texas Jul 15, 2010

I had a bottle that was infected last summer and it was really good. I have never had one that was non-infected but for me I bet it's amazing either way. Wish I could get my hands on more.

14. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Is there something that coffee does to beer that makes it prone to infection?
    I have had so many infected coffee brews over the last couple years. 95% of them are fine, but I have had DH Perkulator, Great River Redband, Peruvian Morning, Furthermore Oscura-all have had sour bottles/cans.

15. I'm done with CW. More for you guys, I know.

I took another chance and traded for some of this years PM, all 4 bottles are infected and drained poured. This fucking sucks

I still have 8 more bottles of 2012 in my cellar if anyone likes infected PM let me know

16. Weird. All of my LMs have been fine. And tasty.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  17. Always tasty but the carbonation varies a ton, and sometimes I've seen 4 hop cones in one bottle lol. O'so has CW's old equipment.

18. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

I've been noticing strange flavors in my 2013 PM as of late. Slightly bitter with notes of sour cherry. This beer was so damn delicious when it first came out. Fingers crossed......

BUNZILLA likes this.
  19. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Had a bottle at Bacchus in MKE the other night. Delicious, no off flavors that I noticed.

20. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Just cracked one this morning. Tasted good as ever.

21. Have been drinking um rather quickly just in case.... But todays and yesterday were as world class as ever! I see no signs of anything except a ever so slight coffee fade but I mean SLIGHT:)

22. ZackH

ZackH Aficionado (150) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

I had three bottles that were great, then opened a bottle last night that was definitely infected. Very sour smell and taste.

23. BrianBo

BrianBo Aficionado (135) Illinois Feb 2, 2012

I've had two bottles like this now, not from the same four pack. I did notice that both cases had issues where the bottles were stuck to the cardboard as if something wet/sticky had gotten on the case and nearly glued it inside. I've had three other bottles that were perfectly fine across both of those four packs. Those other three bottles were fantastic.

24. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

I believe the sticky labels are due to their new labeling machine....I had a bunch of PM and BBBW that had the same label issues.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  25. Lognar

Lognar Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 10, 2012

Just opened one and it was definitely infected. Tons of head. The nose smelled antiseptic. The taste was void of any coffee or bourbon and was nothing but sour and a hint of something medicinal. I bought two bottles of the 2013. I drank one on 2/25 and it was great, but this one tonight was one of the worst things I've ever tasted.

26. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Don't shake it :)

27. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Has anyone notified CW of their issues? What have they said?

28. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I'll trade you for two 2011 PMs...

29. Lognar

Just sent an email. I'll post if I get a substantive reply.

30. Seven999

I just opened another bottle from the 4-pack that had the infected beer I posted about a couple days back. Sure enough, this one is infected too. It's not as far along in the infection, it seems like, but definitely is (sour nose, sour and tart taste, that hides most of the bourbon and coffee). Also confirmed by another person to make sure I wasn't crazy, again.

I will say, though, that this one actually tastes pretty good. It's not as good as the original version, but it's kind of an interesting twist. The one previously, that seemed more infected, was too far along to be good, it seems like.

31. Seven999

Did you happen to direct them over to this thread, too? If not, I'll send an email to them with a link.

32. Lognar

*facepalm* I didn't think of it. Thanks for thinking of it though, and for sending an extra email.

33. Seven999

No worries, I sent them a contact with a link to the thread. :)

34. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

:eek:

I'll be opening my first bottle in the next few days. Hoping it's non-infected, because I've yet to have non-infected PM, ever.

35. Had one tonight, I don't think it was infected in any way, but my palate sucks. I can't tell if it's the coffee being bitter or I'm getting a little sourness. I had PM on tap at the O'So Taphouse the week after the CW anniversary party, and that tasted sweeter.

My wife makes me drink a lot of Jolly Pumpkin, so I'm accustomed to sour.

36. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I'd imagine you should be fine, as this seems much less widespread than last year. Here's hoping I don't have to eat my words about that...

Thankfully I haven't had a single one that's been even the tiniest bit "off" yet, and I've had quite a few. 2012 really doesn't need to repeat itself.

foobula likes this.
  37. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Maybe I'm a cold, unforgiving bastard, but if I ever had to return a case of beer, it's safe to say that's the last time I'd ever do business with that brewery.

38. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

So you'd never buy from deschutes, midnight sun, lost abbey, great divide, etc. again?

39. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

I've never had to return a case of any of those.

40. cmsteele62

cmsteele62 Zealot (95) Illinois Nov 24, 2010

Add me to the list, I opened a bottle last night that had a somewhat sour taste to it. The coffee and bourbon were still there, but it had an odd tartness to it.