1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Infected Peruvian Morning

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by WITTBEER, Mar 10, 2013.

1. burica2020

burica2020 Member

maybe next years peruvian morning they should call it tart side of the peruvian moon, and just say it was infected on purpose like Vivant did with their happy accident sour stout.
    willseph likes this.
  2. CMB2012

CMB2012 Member

Or, how about Peruvian Morning Mystery Stout - Maybe it's infected, maybe it's not. Buy some for yourself to find out! But seriously of the two four packs that I have bought this year I have only had one that may even be considered suspicious. My palate was already fatigued at this point and it really just tasted uneven, like the coffee was fading and the bourbon/barrel characteristics were becoming more prominent. Not sour in an infected way, more of an alcohol twang.
  3. Grohnke

Grohnke Member

at least ~$75 in PM this year alone? impressive, sir.
  4. Grohnke

Grohnke Member

its like those bags of skittles / starbursts / jelly beans with the mystery flavor. I always assume someone produced too much of a bad flavor, and to fool consumers into thinking its new and exciting, they label it mystery. I say this, because mystery flavors always suck. But, i would welcome infected PM (if it does in fact exist this year; I have yet to come across it)
  5. burica2020

burica2020 Member

Way off topic but airheads white mystery is all other airheads left over from the line blended together and not colored. Hot tamales are all the left over mike and Ike's, dyed and flavored.
    BarrytheBear, Vav and mbockstruck30 like this.
  6. Grohnke

Grohnke Member

I wasn't surprised that you knew that, but had to google it for my own good. Folks, he isn't lying.
  7. 71gto

71gto Member

I had another bottle from yet another 4 pack that I bought from a completely separate store and yet again tasted perfect.
  8. incutrav

incutrav Member

What a bummer. Hopefully they dont say screw it and just stop brewing Peruvian all together. I cant imagine they can afford to be sending out checks, giving away free bottles as credit again this year.

Isnt the Bourbon stout aged in the same barrels? If so, those bottles never have had a known infection. I gotta believe the coffee has something to do with it, as I posted earlier in this thread.
  9. Seven999

Seven999 Member

Yeah, I'm hoping that we never see the end of Peruvian Morning, too. Infected bottle or not, the stuff is just so damn good...
  10. BrianBo

BrianBo Member

The entire four pack I picked up from Binnys on Clark street had a total of one good beer in it. I'm done picking any more up for the year.
  11. ravot

ravot Member

another bottle for me and tasting mighty fine.
    [​IMG]
    harrylee773 and MarcatGSB like this.
  12. 71gto

71gto Member

I might actually cry
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  13. chi16brew

chi16brew Member

I drank the 3rd bottle out of my 4-pack last night and had something similar. My first two were great but this one was different. Still had coffee and bourbon, but there was a sour twist.
  14. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

O'so puts the hop cones in LM by hand....
  15. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Member

I think I had my first "suspicious" PM last night. I purchased two four packs and this is the first bottle that did not taste like the others. Not to say it was undrinkable but definitely not the flavors I was accustomed to from the previous bottles that I liked so much.
  16. Synergy87

Synergy87 Member

I've heard that, but we've seen several bottles with more than 1 or 2 in them. Unless they have a a smart ass employee doing that purposely every so many bottles or something. The carbonation on LM is always hit or miss too. I know there is a ton of hop oil in the brew so its not going to be very carbonated but it is just so hit or miss, I don't think they have a good quality control system in place because they are so small. Anyways, I still by the beer, but my point is that I've never seen quality control problems with CW like I have with other breweries such as O'so.
  17. Synergy87

Synergy87 Member

I've heard that, but we've seen several bottles with more than 1 or 2 in them. Unless they have a a smart ass employee doing that purposely every so many bottles or something. The carbonation on LM is always hit or miss too. I know there is a ton of hop oil in the brew so its not going to be very carbonated but it is just so hit or miss, I don't think they have a good quality control system in place because they are so small. Anyways, I still by the beer, but my point is that I've never seen quality control problems with CW like I have with other breweries such as O'so.
  18. Larrygto

Larrygto Member

I had one the other day that tasted off too.
  19. ColdOne

ColdOne Member

The silver lining here: I'm going to get on my horse and drink up the rest of mine. No more waiting for just the right moment.

Live in the present.

Be here now.

Bottom's up!
  20. MarkFy

MarkFy Member

Same. Just picked up a new 4-pack today in Chicagoland and can confirm the off/odd tartness compared to my previous 4-pack.
  21. burica2020

burica2020 Member

anyone know if there were multiple batches? It sure seemed like it sure hit chicago distribution in two waves.
  22. Bay01

Bay01 Member

[​IMG]
    Grohnke and Vav like this.
  23. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Member

Anyone heard back from Central Waters yet? I hope they are aware and are planning on a corrective action plan.

Also, anyone notice any odd flavors with Cherry Stout, Barleywine, or regular BBS? Curious if this is limited to PM and why?
  24. Vav

Vav Member

If true, this is honestly the coolest thing i've ever read here.
    mbockstruck30 likes this.
  25. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

Popped a couple cuz of this thread damn you BA no infection to speak of at least it wasn't a waste because I got to enjoy them. Btw I've had infected Peruvian morning before defiantly not it.
  26. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

27. jacob4999

jacob4999 Member

[​IMG]

Sooo confused right now....:confused:
    Dactrius, Grohnke, dvelcich and 2 others like this.
  28. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Member

Let me know if the hot tamales are infected. I bought a whole case - and if they are, I'm never buying candy from JustBorn again.
  29. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Member

I've had a lot of PM this year, probably 12 bottles or so, and just had my first infected bottle. Definite cheese/butter smell. Oh well. Still, one of my favorite seasonals.
  30. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Member

Bought four 4-packs, have one for aging, probably pull it out and drink it now. Have yet to have an infected one, seems to be a one of bottle in random four packs?
  31. foobula

foobula Member

Had my first 2013 PM last night. Got coffee & bourbon out of it, which was a huge improvement over last year's. Also got a tart nose & a little tartness in the taste, but I won't call it infection. To me it just seemed like a property of the base beer, maybe a quality of the yeast. It's a decent beer, but think I prefer the BBS and BBBW.
    [​IMG]

Currently enjoying a 2011 BCS Coffee, which puts all other coffee beers to shame.
    stayclean likes this.
  32. stayclean

stayclean Member

Ha, I thought I was a bit crazy for picking up the slightest of slightest hint of tartness to it. I thought maybe it was just last year's placebo creeping in for me, heh. The BBBW, at least this year's, is definitely my favorite of the trio, but I'd definitely put Peruvian Morning over the stout. It's not a distant third or anything, but ya know, opinions and all that jazz.
  33. foobula

foobula Member

Yeah, I hear ya. I was trying really hard to like it, and to not judge it on last year's. But once you get that idea of PM = tart sourness, it's hard to overlook once you detect it again. I actually haven't had this year's BBBW yet but last year's is drinking incredibly. And thoroughly enjoyed this year's BBS on draft.
  34. stayclean

stayclean Member

I tried to hold onto a 2012 BBBW for comparison, but ended up opening it just a few weeks before this year's dropped (did the same with the BBS as well actually). 2013 BBBW is drinking GREAT right now, interested to see what age will do to it, loved it with about a year on it.
  35. BobCobb

BobCobb Member

Any word yet from CW? Just got notice from the fiancee that one she just opened back home is tart and is not enjoying it, whereas she loved the first few.
  36. Lognar

Lognar Member

Nothing yet for me.
  37. Benish

Benish Member

Had one last night; tasted great!
  38. TheSSG

TheSSG Member

I just tried my second bottle, after having picked some out when they first came out.

All is well for mine.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  39. atomic

atomic Member

Having my first bottle ever, definitely tasting some tartness. Lots of coffee in the nose but I'm not tasting as much of it as I expected. Thinking this bottle is bad. Not a drainpour though, but still not the "standing shoulder to shoulder with KBS" beer I was expecting.
  40. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Member

We had a fresh bottle of PM last night at a tasting and we agreed something is not right! SO far I have only had 2 bad bottles from this new batch but the other 12 bottles were awesome!