1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Infected Peruvian Morning

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by WITTBEER, Mar 10, 2013.

1. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

Most recent two bottles had slight tartness. I am hoping it is not something that will get worse the older the bottles get

theCoder and Nachos4two like this.
  2. It's only going to get more tart.

3. sarch

sarch Aficionado (140) Illinois Jan 16, 2013

2 of 3 are sour for me. I have like 9 left, but based on my odds, 6 will be sour :(

4. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Had my first one of this years batch last night and it was freaking delicious. Had 3 bottles last year that were all infected so definitely glad to finally try this one!

5. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Had a couple fresh and tasted just awesome! Wonderful barrel, vanilla, bourbon and coffee balance. Cracked one within the past week and found it bitter to tart. Does anyone know how they infuse the coffee? Do they do a cold extraction method for the coffee or use other methods?

6. I just poured one from a batch I bought the day before the Superbowl and its fine. I'm still looking at about 10 bottles that who knows if they are good or bad.

7. Had this on tap at Lunar Bar on Saturday. First time, and I feel bad for all of you. It is F'n amazing.

funhog and harrylee773 like this.
  8. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

I believe I got an infected bottle. Tasted sour.

9. I had 2nd bottle from a 4-pack I bought the week after it's release. Got this from Woodman's in Kenosha. It tasted same as the 1st bottle. This beer is awesome.

10. sarch

Update, 4 of 4 of my most recent 4 pack are sour. This is very disappointing, CW. I'm going to pick up another 4 pack tomorrow. Hopefully it's not infected as well.

11. sarch

I emailed CW about this issue, and this is their response. I applaud companies that take time to personalize responses to concerned consumers.

Timothy,
    We appreciate your feedback, I apologize we haven't gotten back to you right away.
    We are aware of some issues here on this years Peruvian Morning, and are working hard to do two things, understand what happened, then resolve the issue for those who purchased it.
    We have an independent laboratory confirming our results with our own lab, and when we have that information, we will be able to take care of our fans more effectively.
    Please understand, we will make this right by anyone who purchased one of these batches, but we need to verify our own results as the first step in working through this.
    As such, it sounds like you purchased two four packs that were bad? Please verify how many you purchased you felt were bad, and a picture of what you have left with some form of identification in the photo to us, and we will immediately refund you for your purchase.
    We take great pride in the quality of our beer, and our relationship with our customers. We sincerely hope we keep your business in the future, and we will do anything we are able to in order to resolve this.
    Thank you again for your support of our brewery,
    Central Waters Brewing Company
    Sent from my iPhone

12. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Wow. Again. Can't believe it.

Got 4 left out of what I've drank already, and all have been exceptional. Got one in the fridge for tonight to test.

13. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (355) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Gosh, very unfortunate to hear the direction this may be going, but will wait until they report back with more results. Uninfected, this beer is so good that I'm hesitant to return the 4-packs I have on the chance that they are still OK.

14. I found the same in the bottles which I have had that there is slight tartness to it was not positive it is infected but if it is not infected the beer is pedestrian. I feel in the future I will probably just pass on peruvian morning last year had similar issues with it.

15. I have one bottle left that was purchased at the brewery when I visited back in February. I'm interested in the lab results, but I'm not going to ask for a refund. %$#! happens. I would be more concerned if I had bought an entire case, but not over a four-pack. It was still drinkable IMO.

Now I might not grab another 4-pack if I see it at Woodmans again, but then I might, because it is really good...

16. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Bought two four packs, from two different locations and about two weeks or so apart, one four pack all were fantastic, so far the second four pack 2 of the four so far have been infected!!!

17. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

First bottle out of 12 or so that I've had be infected. Still really good I dig the coffee sourness

sarch likes this.
  18. Yup. Had my first bottle tonight and its not the same. Sour. The smell is still awesome but the taste is making my mouth water from the sourness. No chocolate or coffee on the tongue. Hopefully some of you got good bottles. I get that it happens so I can't rip CW. This is the first I've had from them that wasn't top notch. Not sure how it happened but these things happen. Not every project turns out perfect. Slightly surpised they didnt catch but im sure they can and will prevent it in the future.

19. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (550) Illinois May 19, 2008

I had a bad bottle last night. I bought 3 4-packs, and up until the bottle I cracked last night, they were all creamy delicious. This one was metallic and tart in a not so good way.

20. I noticed that they posted a recall of 2012, but my lone bottle is marked 2013, which is what I had previously, and the others did have sourness.

Picked up a 4-pack of 2013 from Woodman's this morning. Hoping for the best.

21. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

FYI, distributor picked up my remaining cases of Peruvian, so CW seems to be pulling it from the Chicago market.

jegross2 and powz87 like this.
  22. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

What a shame. I hope they get this issue figured it. PM is one of my favorite beers, and the CW people are class acts.

23. Second year in a row with infection issues, what's the likelihood they decide to keep brewing this?

24. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

This isn't good news. I've got a 4 pack of it heading my way through a trade. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

25. Had a bottle from my Saturday purchase, and it was good. Very good.

26. ppohio

ppohio Aficionado (185) Illinois Aug 5, 2011

Booo - Haven't had it since the release, just opened one and it has the tart/metallic thing happening. I don't really hate the sour/coffee thing either so I'm drinking it

It's a bummer about the Peruvian Morning but CW prices these BB beers so fairly I can't really complain. I bought mostly BB Barleywine this year anyway and haven't tasted any issues in that one :)

27. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Just split one with another BA yesterday and it tasted just as good as it usually does. That being said, it was in a blind tasting with KBS and KBS was head and shoulders better. On its own though PM is awesome.

28. Ya'll got me so nervous every time I open one. None of mine infected yet

29. gpblackgt

gpblackgt Savant (380) Pennsylvania Oct 14, 2009

I got a 4 pack of PM a couple months back and it was excellent, I loved it.

I'm traveling in the Chicago area for work and I picked up another 4 pack earlier this evening. The first bottle has a distinctly sour taste to it. No massive carbonation like others have seen, but the taste isn't close to the proper bottles I've had from the other batch. This one is predominantly sour with some bourbon in the background. Pretty disappointed. I'm going to send CW a quick e-mail.

30. Dactrius

Dactrius Advocate (500) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

I had one last week, still no problems which is good because I have a lot left. I did it blind with a '12 and '13 KBS and for me it definitely holds its own, KBS seemed too short on bourbon character having it side by side with PM. I'm now thinking 6 months might be the right amount of time to cellar KBS.

31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I have 9 bottles left from the case I bought the day of the Anniversary Party...Ive had no issues with any of them. I guess I just got lucky.

32. powz87

Wanna trade for 8 infected ones? You know to compare and contrast

33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I do love me some side by sides...If you drive up to the Keweenaw, I'll gladly trade you four for four. I'll even throw in a couple bottles BBPT5 for your drive home.

powz87 likes this.
  34. powz87

I'll be there in roughly 7-8 Hours. In all seriousness if i hadn't had it non infected it would be like a coffee tart side of the moon.

35. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I've opened about 6 bottles of this beer. 4 last year and 2 this year. All infected. Nothing I can do since I traded for the bottles, but it sucks that I have never had this beer as the brewer intended and no plans to give this another shot next year.

36. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Does it seem as though the more they age, the infection becomes a problem? I had some when they were first released and I didn't have any problem. Now, a few months out, it seem there are a lot of infection. I will open one soon to test my theory.

37. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

just had my first infected one. wawaweewa, that is unfortunate. gpblackgt said it perfectly for me: very low carbonation, soury vinegar, muted all other flavors.

Just hoping my other 2 are ok.

38. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

From a brewer's perspective, it probably got infected in the bottling process- the bottling line, the empty bottles, the caps, etc. and it'd take time for the wild yeast or whatever's causing the infection to build up, eat whatever sugar's left and produce the off-tastes. So if its been infected from the beginning, you may not notice anything at all at the start but if you give it time, it'll definitely come off as infected. So... good luck with your tasting!

39. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

you really thinks its the bottling line, bottles or caps when it happened to only one brew 2 years in a row? I think the more then likely culprit would be the coffee addition, assuming they're using cold press. If they only upped the abv on the beer, they wouldn't have to worry about infection from the coffee or anything else.

40. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Anyone else heard back from CW regarding this? I sent a couple of emails but no response yet.