Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Great Britain Innis and Gunn Gift Box Beers

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 17, 2012.

1. There's a porter and a rum cask ale too. Anybody tried these? What were the thoughts on them?

My first instinct was "meh Innis and Gunn..." then I saw how pretty the boxes were and now I kind of want them.

2. I get the impression that some of their more unusual releases are a bit better than their standard beers. I've had the rum cask and it's pretty good - not mind-blowing but a robust character with a decent flavour. Although you can often find it on offer in supermarkets....

3. the winter porter is pretty good... for an I&G beer...

4. yeah - the treacle porter is no world beater but a tasty enough drop for your £££.

In a box as well so no light pissing through!

5. Of all the beers I've rated on BA the normal I&G is the lowest rated beer I've drunk. It was awful, to the point where I wanted to pour it out, and I've been a borderline alcoholic for ten years and have never wanted to do that before. Plus I drank in volume for ten years before that!

I'm assuming the clear bottle I had was so light struck it had turned poisonous

6. Don't be a victim of marketing Essex. You know how it will turn out.

7. Yeah that's why I was able to stay my hand and spend my last £4 on a Orval glass instead. Was proud of myself for not getting more beer though. They had Arbor ales I hadn't yet tried, so it took a lot of restraint.

Zimbo likes this.
  8. How much were the I&G beers, out of interest?

9. £2.99, a bit too much than i'd want to spend for a 330ml bottle which i'm not expecting that much from.

10. I&G is huge in Canada and they also make a special Canada Beer using Rye barrels. I have to say that they provide the average beer drinker the opportunity to taste the way different types of barrels affect the flavour of a beer without shelling out big bucks.

11. The Orval glass is a thing of beauty. Respect.

12. I have two observations:

Any man who spends £4 on a Orval glass ought to be celebrated.

I&G beers are only fit for pancake batter. At best.

Their 'seasonal' beers are akin to holding a tourist over a barrel and fucking them till they bleed.

That's three observations. Sue me.

13. Not even sure if "ought to be celebrated" is a good thing, but £3.99 is cheaper than most places so thanks.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  15. Jeez. I was incredibly pissed. I'm now wondering what havoc I've wrought across other fora.

What I meant to say, obviously, is that in my opinion four pounds is better spent on a beautifully designed glass than a beer prone to inconsistency and lack of depth.

Apologies, etc...

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  16. I wouldn't worry about it ReluctantScoop, don't think anything was being taken out of hand.

What I'm more worried about is EssexAleMan has turned Welsh!! I can't even begin to pronounce his name now!

17. Coo roo am bith

It's welsh for ale forever.

fuseboy and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  18. Thanks for clearing that one up!! :-D