1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Innis and Gunn Gift Box Beers

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 17, 2012.

1. There's a porter and a rum cask ale too. Anybody tried these? What were the thoughts on them?

My first instinct was "meh Innis and Gunn..." then I saw how pretty the boxes were and now I kind of want them.

2. I get the impression that some of their more unusual releases are a bit better than their standard beers. I've had the rum cask and it's pretty good - not mind-blowing but a robust character with a decent flavour. Although you can often find it on offer in supermarkets....

3. the winter porter is pretty good... for an I&G beer...

4. yeah - the treacle porter is no world beater but a tasty enough drop for your £££.

In a box as well so no light pissing through!

5. Of all the beers I've rated on BA the normal I&G is the lowest rated beer I've drunk. It was awful, to the point where I wanted to pour it out, and I've been a borderline alcoholic for ten years and have never wanted to do that before. Plus I drank in volume for ten years before that!

I'm assuming the clear bottle I had was so light struck it had turned poisonous

6. Don't be a victim of marketing Essex. You know how it will turn out.

7. Yeah that's why I was able to stay my hand and spend my last £4 on a Orval glass instead. Was proud of myself for not getting more beer though. They had Arbor ales I hadn't yet tried, so it took a lot of restraint.

Zimbo likes this.
  8. How much were the I&G beers, out of interest?

9. £2.99, a bit too much than i'd want to spend for a 330ml bottle which i'm not expecting that much from.

10. I&G is huge in Canada and they also make a special Canada Beer using Rye barrels. I have to say that they provide the average beer drinker the opportunity to taste the way different types of barrels affect the flavour of a beer without shelling out big bucks.

11. The Orval glass is a thing of beauty. Respect.

12. I have two observations:

Any man who spends £4 on a Orval glass ought to be celebrated.

I&G beers are only fit for pancake batter. At best.

Their 'seasonal' beers are akin to holding a tourist over a barrel and fucking them till they bleed.

That's three observations. Sue me.

13. Not even sure if "ought to be celebrated" is a good thing, but £3.99 is cheaper than most places so thanks.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  15. Jeez. I was incredibly pissed. I'm now wondering what havoc I've wrought across other fora.

What I meant to say, obviously, is that in my opinion four pounds is better spent on a beautifully designed glass than a beer prone to inconsistency and lack of depth.

Apologies, etc...

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  16. I wouldn't worry about it ReluctantScoop, don't think anything was being taken out of hand.

What I'm more worried about is EssexAleMan has turned Welsh!! I can't even begin to pronounce his name now!

17. Coo roo am bith

It's welsh for ale forever.

fuseboy and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  18. Thanks for clearing that one up!! :-D