1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Inspire Me

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jun 20, 2013.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (510) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I am really digging brewing lagers right now and I have 2 strains going that I want to keep using, Budvar & Munich Lager. The problem I am facing is that I want to break out of the standard lager styles and have some fun. Any suggestions on good, fun beers to brew with lager yeast? I've done a Dopplebock and Helles, I am doing a split batch CAP and CAP malt with New School hops (Mosaic, Simcoe, Calypso) this weekend, and I am slated to do an Imperial German Pils and Smoked Vienna Lager with 18% Rye shortly after on the yeasts from the CAPs. The thought of a Baltic Porter sounds nice as well. Open for suggestions.

2. I was going to say Baltic Porter, then your last suggestion came out!

Speaking of big beers, what is the alcohol tolerance of these yeasts? I just brewed an English Barleywine (with some rye malt as well) and if the yeast can handle it, maybe you could try making a big Barleywine. A little out of the box but could be cool.

3. jbakajust1

Wyeast states 9% for both strains.

Now that might be interesting. I've wanted to do a Barleywine for sometime now and just haven't pulled the trigger.

4. I wanted to do one for so long and finally pulled the trigger. I went with the English version. It tastes amazing (which I have not said about many of my beers) albeit super hot/boozy as it is in the 10%-11% range and only about 2 months old. If you are interested I can shoot you over the recipe I made, though it has not been carbonated or consumed yet (outside of hydro samples). I think the lager yeast may work well as they can ferment insanely clean especially if you can keep the temperature in a good low range, which may help with a big beer such as a barleywine.

5. Dortmunder Export and a Sticke Alt (even though the later is usually an ale yeast)...then after that pour on the American hops...I'm getting ready to take the lager plunge, too. Cheers

6. jbakajust1

I'd love to take a look at the recipe for it.

I'm already starting to toy with the American Hops and lager yeast. I am doing a 10gal mash of 8# 6 Row, 8# German Pils, 4# Flaked Maize, and splitting it into 2 boils. One will get US Saaz, Liberty, and Sterling for a CAP, the other is getting the exact same hopping schedule but swapping out for Simcoe, Mosaic, and Calypso. Kind of an Old School and New School thing.

7. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (395) Florida Oct 19, 2012

Rauchbier . . . some beechwood smoked malt and noble hops . . . matured by the first frost . . . serve with big plate of sausages and cheese (lederhosen optional) . . . Mmmm.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  8. jbakajust1

I've got a Smoked Vienna Lager with Rye slated for brew soon. Looks like I am going to brew a partigyle Baltic Porter and Munich Dunkel in 4 weeks to throw onto the yeast cakes from the 2 American Pilsners I am brewing this weekend. Hoping to get that Smoked Vienna done about the same time to split the yeast from the pils with the Dunkel. If it all times right I will have a Dunkel and Rauch for fall and a 9% ABV Baltic Porter for the winter.

9. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (380) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Tmave'...?

10. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Maybe a CAP or AAL using something interesting for the adjunct? There are a number of pretty cool rices out there that I would love to play around with once I have the means to lager.

11. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Ideas that come to mind with little thought...

clone victory prima pils

make a fruity lager

make a lager with lots of flaked corn. I add about a pound of flaked corn to my blonde ale and I like it.

Try a really weird lager, like one made with a good chunk of munich malt, or with some more exotic type of grain(s) added.

Or make a lager smash.

Or I saw rye mentioned, try some rye with lager yeast.

Or put 20 wedges of different specialty grains/ingredients on a standard dart board, then give yourself six throws to determine the specialty ingredients of your next beer, to be added to 10 lbs of pilsner malt. Then use lager yeast.

Some of these ideas may be better than others, and the possibility exists that they all aren't really that good. :rolleyes:

jbakajust1 likes this.
  12. In the last year I have made a Landbier and a Pils with American hops.

Landbier is a simple rustic lager, try 70% Pils, 25% Munich I, and 5%CaraMunich, noble hops to 25 IBU.

Bells makes a beer called Quinannan Falls that is very tasty, so it inspired a Pils that was all Pils malt, Vanguard at 60, Santium at 30, and a good dose of Crystal late. Crystal has noble and American aroma since it is a Hallertau derivative with Cascade. Very German Pils like with a twist.

13. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Looks to me that you have everything figured out. Congradulations for geting the most out of your yeast!

14. jbakajust1

Not yet. The Munich Lager yeast that I am brewing with is only 1/2 of what I have left over from a previous batch, so I can still reuse that one a few times, and the Budvar strain is a brewery pitch that I have 2 pint jars of so I can use one for these upcoming batches and use the other for more (and get more still from the brewery as long as they keep using it). I'm thinking that this will become the year of the lagers for me.

15. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Then I think a Doppel Bock is in order. Make one to 8.5-9% so you can enjoy them for a year or two. Take care.

16. jbakajust1

That sounds good. My first lager I did just before Christmas last year was a Dopplebock at around 7.8% and took 1st place in the category. I was thinking about doing a bigger one, maybe even the wheat triplebock that Old Sock did and aged in a rum barrel last year. Wheels are turning.

17. nlthompson2

nlthompson2 Zealot (85) Indiana Jun 19, 2010

California common!

18. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

What about a Franconian-style Dunles Märzen? OG of about 1056º and a hopping rate double that of a Muinich Dunkles.

This is a possile grist:

10% Pilsner malt
    84% Munich malt I (7.5 SRM)
    5% Caramunich III (65 SRM)
    1% black malt (650 SRM)