1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Interest in Ivan 2010 & Ivan 2012?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ryanpitts, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ryanpitts

ryanpitts Aspirant (30) Washington Jun 19, 2012

I was lucky enough to end up with a few bottles of Ivan the Terrible last time around, and I still have one 2010 left. I picked up an extra 2012 this year so it would have a buddy. I've seen Ivan come up in threads here before, so I'm wondering if there's some interest in a pair like this.

Honestly I'm not looking for anything in particular -- I live in the Pacific NW and have a small group of friends who come over every few months for a cellar night, so I'd just like to bring in something (or some things) that they wouldn't get a chance to try otherwise. Dark Lord, King Henry, Bourbon County variants, Cantillon, etc. etc. ... there are a lot of tough gets that we never see around here, which also means I'm not sure whether they're out of the ballpark for Ivans. Can anyone suggest what might be a reasonable exchange?

I'm not super active on the forums here (I do a lot of beer trading, mostly with professional colleagues scattered around the country, though). So if that's an issue for folks, I sure get it. My local beer-drinking group has had a chance to do some Ivan, though, so I figured it might be cool to throw this out here in case someone else would like to do the same.

2. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

3. ryanpitts

Fair enough, although I can't post in that forum. At least that's what I gather, after reading the Help thread here before posting. I've had a BA account for about 6 months, but haven't been an active poster.

I guess I was hoping someone might provide some insight on what would be reasonable to ask about when I *do* have posting privileges in the ISO:FT forum.

4. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

From: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-trading-rules-info.229/

Restrictions:
    • You must be active for 30 days and have at least 3 posts moderated/approved outside of the ISO:FT forum before gaining the privilege to post in the ISO:FT forum.
    • Privileges are automatically updated on an hourly basis, so if you log in after not being active for a while you many need to wait.

domtronzero likes this.
  5. ryanpitts

Yes, exactly, that's what I was referring to. ;) I figured I'd ask here what a reasonable trade for Ivan might be, because I'm honestly curious, while having posts go through moderation. Sorry if I'm overstepping.

6. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Ryan,

I would say you could land a Darklord easily enough. Also a 4 pk of bcbs should be reasonable. Ivan is a limited shelf, thus, other similar limited shelf (bourbon county coffee) or large brewery releases (DL, Darkness) should be easily attainable. I bet you could get a Black Tuesday for one if you add a local in to even up $ amounts if you're dealing with a penny pincher or a Midwest trader, lol.

Pro tip: I've had issues with big sky cork and cage bottles blowing the cork out as pressure changes due to elevation (ie. FedEx truck driving over a mountain pass), so be careful.

If you are ever in Seattle let me know, I have things you'd want and not have to worry about shipping.

Hope this sort of helped. Cheers

7. ryanpitts

Definitely helped! Thank you. And as it happens, I have a son at Seattle U, so I'm over on the West Side on a reasonably regular basis.

csano likes this.
  8. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Let's just see how much BCBS, Furious and Abrasive make it the to the Lynnwood and Marysville area now! ;)

Not that you wale hunters need any help from little ol' me