1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

International Arms Race

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by jmw, Jun 22, 2012.

1. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

2. Good artwork but to be honest I wouldn't expect much as they are neither very impressive Breweries.
  3. Plenty of 0 IBU beers in the past - they were called ales. Things have moved on since then with the introduction of hops.
  4. jmw

Flying Dog has it's place. Decent for an American brewery I suppose, at least consistent. And they choose to actually make a beer that then carries the hop character as opposed to thin hop soup. Their Gonzo Baltic porter is actually quite good.
  5. Actually, I have been pleasantly surprised by the Flying Dog beers I've had lately. And by coincidence I'm about to have their Wildeman Farmhouse IPA sometime over the weekend.
  6. Gonzo is quite enjoyable. Am I getting to be a grumpy old fart but my first reaction was, I prefer my beer served in a glass rather than with a side o bullshit.
    Zimbo and EssexAleMan like this.
  7. Arbor Ales/Steel City have already brewed a 0 IBU collab effort
  8. is it a collab so each can blame the other?

And EssexAleMan is correct, neither are impressive.
  9. I heard about this a little while back - think I read about it on Brewdog's blog. Certainly sounds interesting - as marquis noted above other herbs were used to flavour beer before hops came to dominate the scene.

About a month back I visited the Brewdog bar in Edinburgh and tried an experimental brew that turned out to be a preparation for this collaboration. It was called Saison or American Saison (I forget which), and the barman told me it was Brewdog's initial attempt to create a beer without hops. I don't recall exactly what went into the recipe, but it included bay, juniper and rosemary. The bitterness and aroma were certainly different from those achieved using hops, but it was pretty tasty (in other words, I'd have it again). Looking forward to the results of this competition - maybe using flavouring agents other than hops will become the next beer trend....
  10. Actually I just drank a beer flavoured with herbs (Nethergate Umbel Ale & coriander) and the first taste I could put a finger on in it was lemon sherbert. Very nice stuff tbh.
    jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  11. Sounds good! I got one of those last weekend - I'll have to get on to it soon....
  12. Don't hold me to that - the fizzy citrusy aftertaste kinda mellowed as it warmed to room temp.
  13. I've got my hands on both of these - has anyone else tried either yet? Will be cracking the Brewdog version later....
  14. I had them both on tap at BD Camden side by side on Tuesday gone.

Hmmm ... won't be rushing back.

I found the BD the blandest.

The FD had more to it if you like sours. Kind of bitter orange sour meets cough drop !

That's sold you, but it did have a lot more flavour tbh.
    jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  15. Thanks for the review. Well, I've got them now so I'll just have to drink them and see....
  16. jmw

I've still not seen either over here.
  17. Well, take that as a sign that you should drink something better! Just finished the Brewdog version - OK but not amazing. I don't see hops being kicked out any time soon....
  18. Update: I've now tried the Flying Dog version as well. Ick - I didn't love it. Very herbal and bitter, more flavour than the Brewdog effort but unbalanced and harsh. The brew was also full of strange floaties that didn't improve its appeal.
    Between the two I'd have to say that the Brewdog was more drinkable, but neither was amazing.

On the basis of this interesting experiment, I'd say that hops are unlikely to be kicked to the curb anytime soon.